Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christine-Denis album?

I just read the following tidbit in a FM article at khits.com:

Did you know?

• In the late-1970s Christine McVie laid down an album's worth of professionally recorded demos and full blown studio tracks both written and performed with then-boyfriend, the late Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson.

How true is this? I apologize if this has been discussed and/or noticed here before.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 09-06-2014 at 11:10 PM..
Old 09-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, Richard seems like he was pretty close to Dennis. This might be something he can elaborate on.

Michele
Old 09-06-2014, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, Richard seems like he was pretty close to Dennis. This might be something he can elaborate on.

Michele
Good point. I'll ask. But I've already asked him two questions without an answer.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I just read the following tidbit in a FM article at khits.com:

Did you know?

• In the late-1970s Christine McVie laid down an album's worth of professionally recorded demos and full blown studio tracks both written and performed with then-boyfriend, the late Beach Boys drummer Dennis Wilson.

How true is this? I apologize if this has been discussed and/or noticed here before.
I've never heard any of this. This is exciting.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't believe this would be true.
That's not something that can be hidden away with no mention for 35 years.
...however, if it were true then those recordings would be a treasure trove.
I've just asked 'Dickdash'
Old 09-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's another tidbit on it from http://www.ask4direct.com/InfoRead.a...InfoID=935907:

"In the late-'70s Christine McVie laid down an album's worth of professionally recorded demos and full-blown studio tracks both written and performed with then-boyfriend, the late Beach Boy Dennis Wilson.

McVie is in possession of the tapes and so far, has not allowed them to be released in any form."

And this tidbit, from http://www.1057thepoint.com/news/mus...virtual-track:

"Prior to Wilson's drowning death in 1983, he was continuing to record, both in collaboration with longtime girlfriend Christine McVie, who controls the masters to their joint work, and with his brother Brian Wilson on a series of songs which exist in various states of completion."

Last edited by aleuzzi; 09-07-2014 at 09:41 PM..
Old 09-07-2014, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's a shame for them never to see the light of day. If she's worried about the quality she could explain that they aren't finished and are not what they envisioned upon completion at all, but still let the world hear the raw material. I mean Dennis' fans would love it as much as her fans would.

Michele
Old 09-08-2014, 01:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's a shame for them never to see the light of day. If she's worried about the quality she could explain that they aren't finished and are not what they envisioned upon completion at all, but still let the world hear the raw material. I mean Dennis' fans would love it as much as her fans would.

Michele
I agree. Of course we would like to hear it. But just because we know it exists doesn't mean everyone is entitled to hear it or for it be released. If you started to create something, abandoned it in mid-process, leaving it unfinished/underdeveloped and substandard, why would you have any motivation to expose it the world?

No one predicted the internet, or that it would allow lots of unreleased stuff to be shared so freely and easily. We've come to expect that as the norm - nothing is off limits. Unless Christine or Dennis shared their work-in-progress by disseminating it on cassettes to all of their friends (like Stevie Nicks did ). Only if someone gets hold of track reels (if they even exist) and posts them online, will they ever see the light of day.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-08-2014 at 02:13 AM..
Old 09-08-2014, 06:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I agree. Of course we would like to hear it. But just because we know it exists doesn't mean everyone is entitled to hear it or for it be released. If you started to create something, abandoned it in mid-process, leaving it unfinished/underdeveloped and substandard, why would you have any motivation to expose it the world?

No one predicted the internet, or that it would allow lots of unreleased stuff to be shared so freely and easily. We've come to expect that as the norm - nothing is off limits. Unless Christine or Dennis shared their work-in-progress by disseminating it on cassettes to all of their friends (like Stevie Nicks did ). Only if someone gets hold of track reels (if they even exist) and posts them online, will they ever see the light of day.
I agree. What happened with Jimi Hendrix's posthumous releases was unsavory. One difference: some of the music is "full-blown studio tracks."

However, I wonder why this information is surfacing now. I suspect Christine herself has informed journalists of the music and is putting out an initial buzz about it in her typical maybe/maybe not fashion. This is, remember, how news of her solo album began to surface.

A boy can dream, can't he?

Last edited by aleuzzi; 09-08-2014 at 06:50 AM..
Old 09-08-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I agree. What happened with Jimi Hendrix's posthumous releases was unsavory. One difference: some of the music is "full-blown studio tracks."

However, I wonder why this information is surfacing now. I suspect Christine herself has informed journalists of the music and is putting out an initial buzz about it in her typical maybe/maybe not fashion. This is, remember, how news of her solo album began to surface.

A boy can dream, can't he?
How did news of her solo album surface? I can't remember.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
Christine is on a couple of the "bonus tracks" from Dennis' re-released "Pacific Ocean Blue" CD.

I swear I even hear her on the song "Love Surrounds Me" on the Beach Boys' Light Album:

Old 09-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Christine is on a couple of the "bonus tracks" from Dennis' re-released "Pacific Ocean Blue" CD.

I swear I even hear her on the song "Love Surrounds Me" on the Beach Boys' Light Album:

That is Chris on "Love Surrounds Me" from the Light Album. There is also another version of the same song with Chris on one of the bonus tracks from Pacific Ocean Blue. I think that's the only one of the bonus tracks that she's on. Here is a picture of her & Dennis that's in the booklet from the re-release. Here's also another picture of Christine
with Richard Dashut. She's wearing the same shirt in both pictures. They could be from the same studio sessions with Dennis. I hope Richard will answer the question about this possible album that Chris & Dennis were working on. I have a feeling that he may have been with them in the studio. Imagine a Christine McVie/Dennis Wilson album produced by Richard Dashut!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 027 DennisChristine6.jpg (65.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 027 dennischristine5.jpg (99.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
How did news of her solo album surface? I can't remember.
It began with second- and third-hand reporting, little tidbits that did not come directly from Christine of her publicists. Not until the album was near release did she actually begin to acknowledge it was happening.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 AM

I remember seeing that photo of her on Sanctuary Records. "New Albums: Christine McVie"

We should have known she was going to get the bug to write again. I just wish she hadn't waited 10 years after, "In The Meantime"

Which keeps getting better to my ears.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 09-09-2014 at 11:45 PM..
Old 09-09-2014, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
If anything does exist...
...I'm thinking of the 'Free As A Bird'/'Real Love' Beatles recordings for Anthology. For those songs Jeff Lynne had very little to work with. However, if there's any seed of quality then with modern music technology you can make something worthwhile out of very little.

Bl**dy hell, I've just realised Anthology was nearly twenty years ago! Where did the time go?