Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:58 AM
Ledgie

Default "Rumours" goodies.

Had a bit of Rumours related retail therapy. Have ordered the DVD of Rumours - Classic Albums (I quite fancy the one about Steely Dan's Aja aswell) and the book Making Rumours: The Inside Story of the Classic Fleetwood Mac Album by Ken Caillat with Steven Stiefel.

Waiting for them to come through the post. Was hoping they'd come today. This is one of those boring sucky saturdays where nothing happens and I quite fancy losing myself in the world of Fleetwood Mac. Oh well.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm having an equally boring Saturday, Stu. (Highfive?) But no post expected on this end. Let us know what you think of the book when it does arrive. I imagine there's a thread around here somewhere.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:33 AM

Ken's book was fantastic!
Old 01-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
Had a bit of Rumours related retail therapy. Have ordered the DVD of Rumours - Classic Albums (I quite fancy the one about Steely Dan's Aja aswell) and the book Making Rumours: The Inside Story of the Classic Fleetwood Mac Album by Ken Caillat with Steven Stiefel.

Waiting for them to come through the post. Was hoping they'd come today. This is one of those boring sucky saturdays where nothing happens and I quite fancy losing myself in the world of Fleetwood Mac. Oh well.
Did you get last year's CD reissue? The CD with the 1977 live stuff on it was the best thing from the band in decades.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Did you get last year's CD reissue? The CD with the 1977 live stuff on it was the best thing from the band in decades.
Agreed. I was so happy with the live disc.

I'm wading through Ken's book just now. I'm enjoying it.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:54 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yeah I picked that up. I was actually looking for something else when I did! Didn't even know it was out!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Ledgie

The book came in the post today, can't wait to dig into it.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 AM
Ledgie

I read the book last night. Ken Caillat comes across like a nice enough guy, but he makes the process of recording the album a lot less juicy than you think it'd be. Also you can tell by the way the book is written that he desperately wants someone to make a movie of it. Plus its way too full of technical jargon that the average reader who isn't a record producer would struggle to understand (I found myself skimming a lot of that stuff).

Not only that, he plugs his daughter's record career at least three times (wtf has that to do with FM?) and brags about the two woman he nailed.

Got to say I was a bit underwhelmed by this one. Too much filler.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenStu View Post
I read the book last night. Ken Caillat comes across like a nice enough guy, but he makes the process of recording the album a lot less juicy than you think it'd be. Also you can tell by the way the book is written that he desperately wants someone to make a movie of it. Plus its way too full of technical jargon that the average reader who isn't a record producer would struggle to understand (I found myself skimming a lot of that stuff).
See, I had the opposite reaction. I was afraid of the technical stuff, but I found he broke it down in layman terms for me. That's what surprised me, that I didn't get bored. I actually was thinking to myself, "Oh I can engineer an album, now."

He didn't assume that his reader knew what he was doing or what the equipment was called. I felt he kind of educated me. Michele
Old 01-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Ledgie

Well, that was all totally lost on me.