Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
It's possible that I'm having my impression of the question and its nature coloured by my understanding of the publication and its target clientele, in which the smarm-factor is all but a given. Maybe my reflexes are getting the better of me and I'm not being completely unbiased. My impression, though, has always been that questions related to sexual orientation are just unprofessional, period, and are not asked by respected publications. Perhaps I'm wrong about this. But Stevie's reportedly startled reaction is telling. And I don't think if Lindsey had been asked if he ever had a bi moment that it would be seen by Lindsey, the interviewer, or Mail readers, as a "logical progression" from other questions about his personal history.
Hey, at least they had the "class" not to ask her about the 'coke up bum' rumor.

And surely Lindsey's heavy eye makeup during the late '70s could have been grounds to ask about his sexual preferences?

But in all seriousness, does anyone else think some of the quotes from the band members seem a bit suspect? For instance, the amount of cursing in Stevie's quotes... that's just not her style.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Hey, at least they had the "class" not to ask her about the 'coke up bum' rumor.
I've said it before and I will say it again: journalists tend to exploit Stevie's past rock behaviors in ways that border on sexism and even linguistic violence. It makes me very uncomfortable. It appears to pander to the lowest common denominator in the audience, people (ie--mainly men) who would say, "Isn't Stevie a washed up this or that who used to do coke up her bum?" Its horrible. And it's unfair. The Mac men did as much if not more drugs than she, but no one is "reporting' on their usage.

In general, Christine is immune to such stories but that is because her image is so anti-rock anyway. Her drinking is mentioned, but never in a salacious way. Even now, when she admits to cocaine usage (more clearly and directly than ever before) it is all very subdued.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Do the Stevie coke-up-bum rumours kind of make that method of drug use sound a teensy weensy bit enticing to anyone else...? Like... are you guys curious...?

No? Yeah, me neither.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:20 AM

All I know is that Christine and Lindsey are working on music together again in some capacity.

I don't care if Stevie, Lindsey and Christine run around naked in West Hollywood. Just get us an album and a tour.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
All I know is that Christine and Lindsey are working on music together again in some capacity.

I don't care if Stevie, Lindsey and Christine run around naked in West Hollywood. Just get us an album and a tour.

But if the three of them DID run around naked in West Hollywood, that'd generate a lot of buzz about the new record.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't really get the vitriol of your post, MrStevie. I don't think Stevie is absolving herself of any responsibility in this interview. She's acknowledging the fact that she fell in love (which is not something that anyone has any control or choice over) and that she made some pretty bone-headed decisions because of that. Love does make people complete idiots. She's being honest about how she felt and what she did at the time. She's not saying that it didn't happen or that she was tricked into it, and she's not saying it was right.
Sorry you read vitriol. I was aiming for irony but oh well.

Considering what you said below, I'm surprised you think the only questionable thing in the article was the sexual orientation bit. As long as the tone makes a good impression of Stevie and Chris and the only person coming off poorly is the only one who's motives you suspect, then it's okay to believe this article as the rare good one in a publication known for being nothing but complete trash?

Quote:
I know many people who read the Daily Mail but they all seem to be quite self-aware about how appalling it is. So that's... Something, I guess. I do genuinely think it's the sheer readability of it that draws people in, against all else, even the fact that it's historically been absolutely wrong about everything (yes, including Hitler).

I've picked it up over lunch breaks in the staff room. At its best it's just hugely uninformative. I never finish a copy of it feeling like I've actually learned anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I don't know, I think it's better for children to see their parents owning up to - and taking responsibility for -- past mistakes, as opposed to pretending it never happened.

Lindsey's responses to the questions seemed disingenuous to me.
The entire article seemed disingenuous to me.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStevie View Post
Sorry you read vitriol. I was aiming for irony but oh well.
Vitriol was me overstating. That's a bad habit of mine. Sorry.

Quote:
Considering what you said below, I'm surprised you think the only questionable thing in the article was the sexual orientation bit. As long as the tone makes a good impression of Stevie and Chris and the only person coming off poorly is the only one who's motives you suspect, then it's okay to believe this article as the rare good one in a publication known for being nothing but complete trash?
I'm sorry, but I don't know if I've completely got you, here. Who's motives do I suspect? What do you mean? I just thought your comparison of Lindsey's denying his past physical altercations to Stevie's discussion of her affair didn't make a lot of sense. That's all I meant.

I wouldn't mind The Daily Mail as a pop-culture rag. It's the framing of itself as a "serious" news publication that I find so objectionable. It can do celebrity gossip and interviews 'til the cows come home. Its seemingly random query into Stevie's potential sexual experimentations with women just reeked of frat-boy smarminess to me, and stood out from the rest of the article in that way. Could you be more specific about what parts of the article you disliked? Genuinely interested, here.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Vitriol was me overstating. That's a bad habit of mine. Sorry.

I'm sorry, but I don't know if I've completely got you, here. Who's motives do I suspect? What do you mean? I just thought your comparison of Lindsey's denying his past physical altercations to Stevie's discussion of her affair didn't make a lot of sense. That's all I meant.

I wouldn't mind The Daily Mail as a pop-culture rag. It's the framing of itself as a "serious" news publication that I find so objectionable. It can do celebrity gossip and interviews 'til the cows come home. Its seemingly random query into Stevie's potential sexual experimentations with women just reeked of frat-boy smarminess to me, and stood out from the rest of the article in that way. Could you be more specific about what parts of the article you disliked? Genuinely interested, here.
No problem. Seems I'm the only one who doesn't believe anything about this article, not even how and where these so-called interviews were conducted. The vocabulary itself is suspect, but that's just me, I'm sure. That's the bottom line in my comparison, but I can see why you don't get me if you believe this stuff is all true.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand all of the outrage centered around this publication asking Stevie if she'd ever had an affair with a woman. It's 2014, not the dark ages.
If you read a few copies you might think we are in the dark ages of sexism and nationalism and many other isms.

Quote:
No problem. Seems I'm the only one who doesn't believe anything about this article, not even how and where these so-called interviews were conducted. The vocabulary itself is suspect, but that's just me, I'm sure. That's the bottom line in my comparison, but I can see why you don't get me if you believe this stuff is all true.
You are probably being very wise to suspect some of this isn't true.

The Daily Mail!! - now causing disagreements on here.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I honestly thought most of the article was stuff we've heard before from other sources? That may not make any of it true, but it's certainly corroborated. I can't fault the Mail on that one, much as I'd like to.

As for the actual quotes, it certainly wouldn't be surprising if they were "embellished". I don't read enough interviews to really pick up on what Louie and MrStevie are finding iffy about the quotes, but it's a definite possibility.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
You are probably being very wise to suspect some of this isn't true.
See post #46 in this thread... I also suspected some of these quotes as well. First of all, Stevie doesn't curse publicly... ever. Using words like "sh*t" and "b*tch" is hugely out of character for her.

I agree that it seems doubtful this reviewer flew to 3 different countries to interview people in 1 band. It just doesn't make any sense. Many of these interviews are conducted over the phone. Yet, the interviewer describes the surroundings & facial expressions of his interviewees.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I honestly thought most of the article was stuff we've heard before from other sources? That may not make any of it true, but it's certainly corroborated. I can't fault the Mail on that one, much as I'd like to.

As for the actual quotes, it certainly wouldn't be surprising if they were "embellished". I don't read enough interviews to really pick up on what Louie and MrStevie are finding iffy about the quotes, but it's a definite possibility.
I believed it all when I read it, and it is possible that it is all true. Who knows?? Like you say its possible the quotes are embellished
Old 12-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
See post #46 in this thread... I also suspected some of these quotes as well. First of all, Stevie doesn't curse publicly... ever. Using words like "sh*t" and "b*tch" is hugely out of character for her.

I agree that it seems doubtful this reviewer flew to 3 different countries to interview people in 1 band. It just doesn't make any sense. Many of these interviews are conducted over the phone. Yet, the interviewer describes the surroundings & facial expressions of his interviewees.
Yes it is interesting that a few things don't add up. Didn't it say that Stevie was interviewed in Paris a few weeks after the tour ended. I didn't even think she was in Paris then.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
Yes it is interesting that a few things don't add up. Didn't it say that Stevie was interviewed in Paris a few weeks after the tour ended. I didn't even think she was in Paris then.
I just had a quick look through and they say Chris was interviewed 6 weeks after her appearance in London. I was presuming Stevie was interviewed by them around the same time, but they don't actually state that. She could have been interviewed much earlier than that
Old 12-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree with you. Although, it didn't stick out to me like that old Vox interview with Stevie did. Now that definitely did not sound anything at all like Stevie or her vocabulary.

What I will say about this interview is that Stevie gave a clearer description of New Zealand than she ever did before. She was never definite that Lindsey had kicked her before. She knew he did something to her though. She never saw him with his jacket over his head before (Mick said that), because she wasn't looking at him when he did that. And she never put the incident with him doing something to her in the same sequence of events as him throwing the guitar at her.

So, when I read her quotes, I didn't think they didn't sound like her, but I did think she was giving a more concise, coherent and specific description of the events than she ever had before. It's like an amalgamation of other things that she has said before, but never said at once.

Lindsey's "interview" sounds like all sentences he has said before. But we know Lindsey and he might very well say the same things over again. That would not be surprising. But take that comment about never buying cocaine. That's a quote from an interview he may have done 15 years ago.

Christine's comments all sound new. But the thing with them taking the cocaine in ladylike spoonfuls and the boys coming at the end of the night to find their coke after the boys had used all of theirs up sounds more like something Stevie would say than Christine would.

Stevie sounds like Stevie (but more adept at summarizing things than Stevie ever has been). Lindsey sounds like Lindsey. Christine mostly sounds like herself to me, but not the part about the men doing drugs vulgarly.

Michele