User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-05-2003, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question Who decides...

I've seen many a thread over time say something like "Hey, I was in (this store/mall) and guess what Mac (or Mac related) song they played on the loudspeakers? ...etc. My one for today was "I'm the one" from Christine's 1984 selftitled WB solo album (heard it in the supermarket) and it just made me think...(not that I'm complaining or anything but...) who decides what songs get played on those things anyways?!

This is probably a stupid question as it's probably just the store/mall managers or something but I admit that I have no idea about how all that works hence why I ask.

I find it interesting because, OK, most of the time it's just "the hits" that are played but I've heard some pretty wacky ones over the years (considering this kind of fare is supossed to be for relatively conservative listeners) like "When it comes to love" (from BTM) and "Never forget" (from "Tusk") among others but those are the ones that came to mind right now.

So, I'm looking forward to any thoughts on who you guys think decides these things, not that it's a big thing, I was just curious. I'll be interested to see what some of you have to say about this and thanks in advance.

John
Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I worked in retail while I was in college, and the way it for my store at least, was that every few months, the corporate headquarters would send out a new mix cd or 2 that we had to play over and over again. So I guess the answer is it's usually decided at the corporate level and it's the same mix played in every store. They're usually songs that are supposed to reflect the ambiance of the store. As an employee, it was quite nerve grating to have to listen to the same 30 or so songs over and over again every day!
Old 08-05-2003, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I worked retail in college, they had some service called Muzak (weird spelling, I know). Somekind of service that had some songs with lyrics, and some songs that were popular, but the lyrics were removed and some strange arrangement of the music was played. I don't know where or how many other stores use this, but mine did.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 08-06-2003, 05:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Yeah, I knew about the Muzak deal but it was the places that play the actual versions of the "non hit" songs I was thinking of. Thanks guys. Great explanation Dreamer, that really helps me get that one answered.

John
Old 08-06-2003, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Slightly OT, but

I realised recently that the projectionist in the cinema must get to play whatever he/she wants. I've heard some pretty weird crap waiting for movies, and it eventually clicked one day that this must be a little perk of the job.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:47 AM
Senior Ledgie

if it was up to me... I would be playing say you will over and over... promoting the album...

"support the mac... go out and buy this album today.. it is better than the crap you all listen to..."
Old 08-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David R

"support the mac... go out and buy this album today.. it is better than the crap you all listen to..."
My girlfriend and I spent time at music and video stores in a local mall (FYE, Sam Goody, etc) putting FM cds and DVDs at the front of the displays. Seems silly, but we thought it was fun.

Back to the topic at hand...

When I worked at Walgreens years ago, we subscribed to the Muzak system (you could choose lyrics or no lyrics), and I would hear songs like Trouble or Go Insane and lesser played Mac songs like Warm Ways and I Don't Want To Know. I think the company that distributes this service doesn't have to pay as much for these types of songs or something. It was rare that I heard a "current hit".