User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-23-2004, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGeMe
I had the misfortune to work for a PBS affiliate. As a result, I will never again donate a single dollar to PBS. To see how funds raised by the station were misused by management would turn your stomach. Fancy catered luncheons & dinners for board members, lavish banquets & balls meant to lure high-dollar contributors (it didn't work), Cell phones for everyone at the station-and the money spent on constantly redecorating offices alone would blow your mind. I kinda went off PBS altogether after that experience. But once upon a time, yeah, I'll admit, I did like their shows.
Wow..where was that!?! Our PBS affiliate is nothing like that...the money raised goes directly into the station..no fancy luncheons no cell phones etc...in fact they struggle for what they have and utilize it well...it's disheartening to hear about the kind of stations you're talking about...sounds like commercial tv haha...

Anyway...this reminds me, while in Vegas I was watching a show on PBS, a britcom...I don't know what it was...maybe one of you can identify it...

There were two guys...one I guess they're cousins and from another planet or something because the ep was about one of the guys taking the other's super powers away...and he ended having to do the super hero work...well, he gave the guy his powers back so he could work in a store and save money to buy his girlfriend a car..but the other guy misused his power and ended up stealing all sorts of things like the crown jewels and stuff...any clues as to what this show is??
Old 04-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
There were two guys...one I guess they're cousins and from another planet or something because the ep was about one of the guys taking the other's super powers away...and he ended having to do the super hero work...well, he gave the guy his powers back so he could work in a store and save money to buy his girlfriend a car..but the other guy misused his power and ended up stealing all sorts of things like the crown jewels and stuff...any clues as to what this show is??
I've never watched an entire episode but i'm fairly certain you're speaking of Red Dwarf. This is me...full of useless trivia and information

Last edited by GardenStateGirlie; 04-23-2004 at 11:14 PM..
Old 04-23-2004, 10:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

er Soundstage Pbs sucks Sorry to dissagree with you all.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 04-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=DrummerDeanna]Wow..where was that!?! Our PBS affiliate is nothing like that...the money raised goes directly into the station..no fancy luncheons no cell phones etc...in fact they struggle for what they have and utilize it well...it's disheartening to hear about the kind of stations you're talking about...sounds like commercial tv haha...

To protect the guilty, I'll just say that it was a PBS affiliate in a Top 30 market. I worked in commercial TV for about 5 years at that point and had had enough of the rat race and thought Public TV would be better. I was wrong. I went back to commercial TV very willingly. I ended up working in TV for a total of 10 years. I finally decided my talents would be better used elsewhere--and found the perfect job at long last. I am both happy and encouraged to hear that your PBS affiliate spends it funds far more wisely than the one I worked for did.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGeMe
To protect the guilty, I'll just say that it was a PBS affiliate in a Top 30 market. I worked in commercial TV for about 5 years at that point and had had enough of the rat race and thought Public TV would be better. I was wrong. I went back to commercial TV very willingly. I ended up working in TV for a total of 10 years. I finally decided my talents would be better used elsewhere--and found the perfect job at long last. I am both happy and encouraged to hear that your PBS affiliate spends it funds far more wisely than the one I worked for did.

Hmmm...well that is truly unfortunate. As for me, you couldn't pay me to work in tv...commercial or public lol...especially after the conference I went to, it made me eternally grateful that I'm not in tv...

However at this point I've only received one full-time job offer and it was from a tv station in El Paso, Texas lol...I didn't even apply for it!!!

Yeah, but I just don't like the cut throat egotist environment of tv...even our little PBS affiliate has some ego issues (with students who produce the news program)...but I know there are a lot of really cool "behind the scenes" folks in tv...I do enjoy them
Old 04-24-2004, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
However at this point I've only received one full-time job offer and it was from a tv station in El Paso, Texas lol...I didn't even apply for it!!!Yeah, but I just don't like the cut throat egotist environment of tv...even our little PBS affiliate has some ego issues (with students who produce the news program)...but I know there are a lot of really cool "behind the scenes" folks in tv...I do enjoy them
I really did learn a lot from my years' in TV--how to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven industry; how to make snap decisions; how to curse like a sailor; how to duck when one of the anchors is throwing something at you--say a chair or something; and most important of all--how not to treat people! Nothing phases me much anymore. I see co-workers fall apart over the least little things. I smile at them and think, "You can't scare me--I used to work in TV!"

I was watching Countdown with Keith Olbermann a few months ago and he was doing a segment on Psychopathic bosses and he stated that he believed that there were more mentally ill folks working in TV than in any other industry. I'd say he was about dead-on in that assessment! TV does indeed demand certain personality traits--traits that aren't necessarily that attractive. I quit when I realized how big a bitch I'd actually turned into and how miserable I really was.

The irony? I make a lot more money now and I'm a heck of a lot happier doing what I do now (I'm a writer & researcher---who works with a lot of non-profits and government agencies).

I hope you find a great job--I'm not saying that all TV stations are bad--just the ones I had the misfortune to work for! If radio is your passion-hold out for that radio job. It's a good sign that you got an unsolicited job offer. And if you do decide to take a TV job--check out TVSpy.com-and sign up for their "Watercooler" message board. You can ask about an organization before you sign up--I wish this would have been around 15 years ago. I still check in to see what the industry gossip is there. A recent thread was all about one of my old stations. From the sound of it, nothing much had really changed.