The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh, remember the "Conversations" tape when Stevie tells Christine she won't forgive her for having Lindsey sing on her song (Hold Me). Christine makes some excuse, by claiming it wasn't a duet or something. Lindsey was just helping her out (a lie if you ask me) but Stevie doesn't buy it and just keeps saying, "It's over. It's over. It's over."

So, funny.

That must have been in or about 1978. Then, just before Mirage came out Stevie had that interview when she talked about Smile At You not being on the album and how she dragged Lindsey and made him sing on the songs. I believe she was talking about one of Christine's songs.

Michele
Old 05-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
According to the Rumours Classic Albums doc it's Lindsey messing around with guitar sounds, but I'm not entirely convinced it isn't (partially) Stevie.
Aaah, yes. The acrimonious dobro. I think Stevie's vocals are mixed in too - I prefer the Rumours reissue w/ the alternate version of GDW, the ending vocals/wailing are cool.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Junior Ledgie

Old 05-08-2009, 01:45 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Oh, remember the "Conversations" tape when Stevie tells Christine she won't forgive her for having Lindsey sing on her song (Hold Me). Christine makes some excuse, by claiming it wasn't a duet or something. Lindsey was just helping her out (a lie if you ask me) but Stevie doesn't buy it and just keeps saying, "It's over. It's over. It's over."

So, funny.

That must have been in or about 1978. Then, just before Mirage came out Stevie had that interview when she talked about Smile At You not being on the album and how she dragged Lindsey and made him sing on the songs. I believe she was talking about one of Christine's songs.

Michele
I also remember her saying that Lindsey wouldn't do that solo part on WISYA, so they sang it together and Stevie had her voice removed... I love his vocal on that tune..
Old 05-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is from the High Times interview she did. She was asked about writing Think About It for Christine. It's just amusing to me, because of the way she says she wasn't going to let no singing go on the album. :

Quote:
Yeah, when I really love something that she does, I really get in there and help her with it. She can do it alone. She really doesn’t need anyone, but when she writes something that I really take to heart, then I go for it. I stay up all night with her and we work on it. I really work on it and I drag Lindsey and her in there and make them sing, because that’s what they forget: they forget that there’s three of us and how good we sing. I irritate them to death. It’s like a little bug. I keep saying, "Lindsey, you and I should sing this part. It’s important that we sing this part; it would sound terrific." And they eventually do it. Especially because I am not going to stand by and watch no singing go on this album.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is from the High Times interview she did. She was asked about writing Think About It for Christine. It's just amusing to me, because of the way she says she wasn't going to let no singing go on the album. :
Lol, I guess she isn't a big fan of instrumentals.

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 05-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As an aside - in the BD RS cover photoshoot in, say 1981 - La Nicks is playing some songs from Mirage - I think Wish You Were Here, Can't Go Back, That's Alright, and maybe another were played. I cannot remember if Hold me was played. This leads me to believe that some of the Mirage songs were holdovers in a somewhat completed form from the Tusk recording sessions or shortly thereafter. That's Alright was written in like 1974. In the end, while they worked on the Mirage songs after the Tusk tour - many of them had vocals laid down prior to that, though those vocals may not have been on the prior product.

As for Hold Me - I can hear La Nicks in the mix. When it was release - I remember thinking it odd that FM's lead single did not more heavily feature La Nicks, who at that time was one of the largest stars in the world. I do love hold me though. I just wish it had a third set of lyrics instead of LB's penchant for repeating the chorus after the bridge.

I also found it odd that LB was so quick to cut La Nicks' stanzas, yet he would do this repeating of the same thing. Oh well.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 05-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
As an aside - in the BD RS cover photoshoot in, say 1981 - La Nicks is playing some songs from Mirage - I think Wish You Were Here, Can't Go Back, That's Alright, and maybe another were played. I cannot remember if Hold me was played. This leads me to believe that some of the Mirage songs were holdovers in a somewhat completed form from the Tusk recording sessions or shortly thereafter. That's Alright was written in like 1974. In the end, while they worked on the Mirage songs after the Tusk tour - many of them had vocals laid down prior to that, though those vocals may not have been on the prior product.

As for Hold Me - I can hear La Nicks in the mix. When it was release - I remember thinking it odd that FM's lead single did not more heavily feature La Nicks, who at that time was one of the largest stars in the world. I do love hold me though. I just wish it had a third set of lyrics instead of LB's penchant for repeating the chorus after the bridge.

I also found it odd that LB was so quick to cut La Nicks' stanzas, yet he would do this repeating of the same thing. Oh well.

Little Lies appeals to me because it has all 3 voices...
Old 05-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^

ITA - and three voices in a very cool harmony - I think one reviewer likens it to the three calling out to eaxch other from towers on the mist.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
^

ITA - and three voices in a very cool harmony - I think one reviewer likens it to the three calling out to eaxch other from towers on the mist.
yes... when they worked together, they were unstoppable.... ur sig is making me dizzy
Old 05-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

You mean dizzier

Interestingly, Hold Me could have been done with the tree voices on after another on the "Hold Me - Hold Me - Hold Me" chorus, which is sooooooo beautiful and lush as it is.

IMO - though they all had their moments on each - Mirage and, more so, TITN were CM's shining pop moments of a stellar history. of course, Wish You Were Here is one of my fav.'s by her and the band.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As an aside - in the BD RS cover photoshoot in, say 1981 - La Nicks is playing some songs from Mirage - I think Wish You Were Here, Can't Go Back, That's Alright, and maybe another were played. I cannot remember if Hold me was played. This leads me to believe that some of the Mirage songs were holdovers in a somewhat completed form from the Tusk recording sessions or shortly thereafter.
The tape of Christine and Stevie discussing Lindsey's singing on Hold Me was made in the late seventies, I believe. So, that song had certainly been around.

Michele
Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool - I don't think I knew that. Or, I did years ago anfld forgot, which is sad

Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The tape of Christine and Stevie discussing Lindsey's singing on Hold Me was made in the late seventies, I believe. So, that song had certainly been around.
Say what?! Is that true? What tape?

I can't believe "Hold Me" is that old unless I have some evidence!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Was that John Rockwell in the New York Times?

moviekinks.blogspot.com