The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gosh... I am buzzing over this news. In fact, I think it's the most exciting thing to happen in the FM family since the release of Say You Will. This is so shocking and unexpected as much as it seems like it has been foreshadowed and seems inevitable. Considering that Stevie and Sheryl have not exactly been BFFs publicly as of late, this is especially shocking. Oh, the possibilities are just infinite!!!

The reasons why this makes sense:

-The obvious Stevie-Sheryl girl power connection.

-Lindsey's respect and admiration for Sheryl and their common love of quirky studio trickery.

-Sheryl played keyboards on the SYW, which also features a song written about Sheryl.

-Sheryl fans tend to be FM fans and vice versa.

-Sheryl has matured into a veteran musician with legit singing, songwriting and performing chops.

-Sheryl's innate musical style is very similar to FM. Listen to "It Don't Hurt" and tell me it was not influenced by "The Chain."

The wonderful possibilities:

-Perhaps Sheryl's multi-faceted talents as a guitarist, bassist, keyboardist and singer will help to pare down the "Fleetwood Mac Orchestra" live lineup we've been seeing since 1987. Perhaps it won't be necessary for Carlos Rios or Jana to be in this lineup (one hopes)!!

-Sheryl and Stevie dueting on "Strong Enough."

-Inspiring the band to enter the studio and hopefully bringing keyboards back into the mix.

-Sheryl ALWAYS changes up her setlist. Perhaps some of that will rub off on FM.

-Sheryl may be able to revive some really obscure nuggets from the FM catalog, especially from the early 70's, like the way Rick Vito revived "Another Woman." Her take would be so different that she could pull it off without sounding like she is trying to do an imitation.

-I can't wait to see the five of them together at the inevitable press conference!

What could go wrong:

-Sheryl had better keep a low profile ala Christine. There is only room for ONE diva in FM. This means man-tailored suit jackets and jeans ONLY.

-Sheryl's voice is not as warm and full as Christine's, which will totally change the sound of the harmonies.

-Sheryl should sing no more than two solo songs. Ironically, I think "A Change Would Do You Good" would be perfect (and apt) for FM. "Strong Enough" should be the other.

-Sheryl should be allowed to sing only one Christine song besides "Don't Stop," which Lindsey sings mostly anyway. "You Make Loving Fun" would be it. Any more Christine songs would just magnify her absence.

-Sheryl has got a very large vocal range compared to Stevie, so she'd better keep the mellisma in check.

I am really, really, really excited about this. This news just made my whole week!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
. . . -Sheryl had better keep a low profile ala Christine. There is only room for ONE diva in FM. This means man-tailored suit jackets and jeans ONLY . . . .
She wore revealing, sexy and hawt clothing on the TISL tour

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
-Lindsey's respect and admiration for Sheryl and their common love of quirky studio trickery.
Lindsey has spoken publicly about Sheryl? What did he say?

Quote:
-Sheryl played keyboards on the SYW, which also features a song written about Sheryl.
Yes, but everybody played keyboards on SYW, even John.

Quote:
-Sheryl fans tend to be FM fans and vice versa.
True, these days.

Quote:
-Perhaps Sheryl's multi-faceted talents as a guitarist, bassist, keyboardist and singer will help to pare down the "Fleetwood Mac Orchestra" live lineup we've been seeing since 1987. Perhaps it won't be necessary for Carlos Rios or Jana to be in this lineup (one hopes)!!
I don't think the band -- as long as Buckingham or Nicks is in it -- would ever go out without the backups. They LOVE their backups.

Quote:
-Inspiring the band to enter the studio and hopefully bringing keyboards back into the mix.
Whuh? There are lots of keyboards on SYW -- probably more than any other Mac album (where Lindsey often used guitars to mimic boards).

Quote:
-I can't wait to see the five of them together at the inevitable press conference!
That would be cool!

Quote:
-Sheryl's voice is not as warm and full as Christine's, which will totally change the sound of the harmonies.
I don't think it will "totally" change, not with SharonMindyJanaEtc. still there singing. Sheryl even sort of sounds like a backup singer -- same timbre. She also very efficiently goes into backup singer mode. Witness her appearances with Stevie on her Troubled tour.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I cannot begin to tell you how much this whole notion angers me. I find it absolutely disgusting that there is even the thought of Sheryl Crow being added as a member of Fleetwood Mac. Go through the history of the band and you'll find that almost every member was added to the band based on intuition and instinct. Adding Crow would be the equivilent of selling out in my view. I hope this isn't true.

Matt
Old 03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I cannot begin to tell you how much this whole notion angers me. I find it absolutely disgusting that there is even the thought of Sheryl Crow being added as a member of Fleetwood Mac. Go through the history of the band and you'll find that almost every member was added to the band based on intuition and instinct. Adding Crow would be the equivilent of selling out in my view. I hope this isn't true.

Matt
And what makes you think this wasn't an act of "intuition and instinct?" It isn't like Mick picked her name out of a hat. One could argue that this has been in the works for a very long time vis a vis TISL, SYW. If they were really selling out, Mick would have been pursuing Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch or maybe even Colbie Caillat, which wouldn't have been that much of a stretch considering her familial ties to FM. Considering it looked like Mick had to choose between adding another chick to the band or losing Stevie altogether, I think this move was a no-brainer.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
And what makes you think this wasn't an act of "intuition and instinct?" It isn't like Mick picked her name out of a hat. One could argue that this has been in the works for a very long time vis a vis TISL, SYW. If they were really selling out, Mick would have been pursuing Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch or maybe even Colbie Caillat, which wouldn't have been that much of a stretch considering her familial ties to FM. Considering it looked like Mick had to choose between adding another chick to the band or losing Stevie altogether, I think this move was a no-brainer.
If it were an act of intuition and instinct, he'd be giving someone who's not that well known an opportunity. Sheryl Crow is more popular today than Fleetwood Mac. You're telling me that if she were to join the band that it wouldn't appear to be some money grabbing opportunity for the band to have one last chance in the big spotlight? Come on! Fleetwood Mac doesn't need more members. They don't need Stevie either. Call up Bob Welch, Rick Vito or Billy Burnette. At least they ARE members of Fleetwood Mac and not wannabes.

Matt
Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If it were an act of intuition and instinct, he'd be giving someone who's not that well known an opportunity.
The two are not mutually exclusive In other words, it is possible that intuition and instinct were used here and Sheryl is musically a good fit, despite her popularity.

Quote:
Sheryl Crow is more popular today than Fleetwood Mac.
I do not think she is. When was the last time she, if ever, sold out or even had the capacity to seemingly sell out Madison Square Gardens and other large venues. FM did so on the SYW tour. SC, instead, mostly has been a shed performer, which is fine by me, but it suggests less popularity

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hmmm...

Well I am glad to see that Stevie is secure enough to hand the FM spot light over to someone else. They have very different voices when they sing live, in the past Sheryl has outshone and outsang Stevie. I am a little shocked that she is so willing to hand over the "FM diva reins" to another star!! I will believe it when I see it.

She looks like a sweet little lamb from afar, but when you get close, you find out that she skinned and ate the darn thing just to use it as a coat. She's a beast.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
The two are not mutually exclusive In other words, it is possible that intuition and instinct were used here and Sheryl is musically a good fit, despite her popularity.

I do not think she is. When was the last time she, if ever, sold out or even had the capacity to seemingly sell out Madison Square Gardens and other large venues. FM did so on the SYW tour. SC, instead, mostly has been a shed performer, which is fine by me, but it suggests less popularity
And it should be noted that Sheryl Crow tickets are WAY cheaper than other more veteran performers. Last time I saw Sheryl was at Avery Fisher Hall at Lincoln Center, which has, perhaps, 3,000 seats. And most recently she played Irving Plaza, which is a big club. However, I must admit that she is moving way more albums than FM, but then again, it's been so long since FM released a new album...
Old 03-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Junior Ledgie

I have just got a email back from Ken Cailat it look like it true Sheryl Crow is replacing christine For a new album and tour in the fall
Old 03-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Come on! Fleetwood Mac doesn't need more members. They don't need Stevie either. Call up Bob Welch, Rick Vito or Billy Burnette.
Matt

Mick needs Stevie as much as he needs Rogaine.

Look what happened last time FM was staffed with has-beens and never-rans, i.e., Time lineup. 'Nuff said.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If it were an act of intuition and instinct, he'd be giving someone who's not that well known an opportunity.
Matt
If they're thinking of adding Sheryl Crow it would be in keeping with history, if you think of Dave Mason's addition.

That wasn't a good fit for the band and I don't think Sheryl would be either. But it could be that she is just going to tour with them and share a few songs. Maybe there's no intention of her becoming a fifth member. There's a way that this can work out where everyone can benefit. Of course there are a trillion ways that this can go wrong as well.

Michele
Old 03-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

Yes, but everybody played keyboards on SYW, even John.
Oh, I believe it was from an article written around the time of SYW... or TISL... something like that. It's not fun getting old. Irregardless, it is very, very unusual to have guests appearing on a FM album, so the fact that she was invited in to play keyboards is quite an honor and a testament to Sheryl's insider status with the band.

Quote:
I don't think the band -- as long as Buckingham or Nicks is in it -- would ever go out without the backups. They LOVE their backups.
If you think about it, Sheryl Crow is the ultimate backup. She does it all, except for percussion.

Quote:
Whuh? There are lots of keyboards on SYW -- probably more than any other Mac album (where Lindsey often used guitars to mimic boards).
I couldn't disagree with you more. SYW had lots of synthesizer-like sounds that were created via guitar pedals and effects. It was an album that was completely dominated by the guitar in which a few keyboard parts were added here and there to accentuate or fill out the sound. There isn't a single song on the album that was built around a keyboard part ala practically every Christine song. For me, the essence of the FM sound has always been around Christine's playing, so SYW was unsatisfying for me in that respect. I think Sheryl would bring back that bluesy heavy electric piano sound that has been sorely missing as of late.

Quote:
I don't think it will "totally" change, not with SharonMindyJanaEtc. still there singing. Sheryl even sort of sounds like a backup singer -- same timbre. She also very efficiently goes into backup singer mode. Witness her appearances with Stevie on her Troubled tour.
It has already changed with Christine's departure. But, in a way, one could argue that Sharon and Christine both have a similar tone to their voice- that soft, full, husky sound, whereas Stevie and Sheryl both have a reedy, girly quality to their voices. If Sheryl takes over the parts traditionally sung by Sharon/Christine, it's definitely going to sound different. In fact, at times it could sound like Stevie is harmonizing with herself, like she does on her studio recordings.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Lindsey hasn't spoken about Sheryl. Although, the way she was draped over him at the end of AHI, I would assume that they must have had some friendly dialogue at one time.

Michele
Old 03-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

-Sheryl had better keep a low profile ala Christine. There is only room for ONE diva in FM. This means man-tailored suit jackets and jeans ONLY.
no no
Sheryl is restricted to man suits
Linds is the only one allowed to wear jeans
or tight black leather pants if he wants to jazz it up