User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbelle1214
I understand...and I pray that OBL also believes the first comment you made...it will make the revenge so much sweeter....I'm telling you...it's coming. Don't believe it has been dropped or forgotten.
As for the rest...I'm neither Democrat or Republican, although my Dad raised me to BE a democrat! I just have my own views....and I respect yours.
I am neither R nor D as well. I just think that America was meant to be a place where people could avoid religious persecution. I see that happening now under the guise of patriotism and it scares me to death.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
I just have to say that I find the lack of empathy and compassion in the face of such a tragedy astounding.
By whom?

I think the govt.'s are responding in a good manner as are the American people in general, though there is some grousing about Federal dollars being used to rebuild this region.

I am shocked, however, at the world's blase' attitude, esp. whenever there is any horrible natural disaster in another country, the US takes the lead. Maybe the media is just not reporting it.

Personally, I think the people there are going though a living hell and I wish it were not so. My only beef is with the people who could have evacuated but selfishly and stupidly chose not to. I have just seen that type of behaviour so many times and I no what the end result it and that innocents will suffer because of it. That is my only beef. Well, that and the non necessary looters.

On edit - I am not being snarky

Old 08-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Operation Cake Drop:

You are so bad

Old 08-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just have to say that I find the lack of empathy and compassion in the face of such a tragedy astounding.
I agree with you.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think its the world being blase about it, its just that we don't hear about them being sympathetic.

But still, the stories I'm hearing about around 1000 people in New Orleans being dead are really shocking, and I don't think there are words to describe how absolutly terrible that is.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm confused....who's not empathetic with this tragedy? You have thousands and thousands of people, military, etc responding to help. It's just going to take some time. The people in Florida still have not recovered from Andrew and the 4 storms from last season. Are you talking about lack of sympathy for those who are taking advantage of this situation?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Hmmm....

"Money...money...money...Mon-nay!!! Thank God for those gasoline investments, That should keep the twins in alcohol for about a few weeks at best...And I could use a good snort right now myself"

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 08-31-2005, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
My friends there tell me the amount of corpses is staggaring. Again, they are not collecting these yet and concentrating on the rescuing the living. They should, IMO, get these corpses out of the water as soon possible, though the raw sewage and already cholera infested water makes the immediate removal of the corpses (human and other) somewhat less exigent.
How are your friends? I hope they are well and safe. I am shocked by this, so shocked. I feel so sad for the people of NO. The Red Cross site was very slow so it is probably very busy receiving donations. People really are mostly generous in a crisis.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My brother left on one of 500 boats going from Lafayette (about 100 West) on an emissary to help with the rescue operations. I am a little terrified for his safety. He is there though and was sobbing at the horror.

Dear God - Show us the way back.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My brother left on one of 500 boats going from Lafayette (about 100 West) on an emissary to help with the rescue operations. I am a little terrified for his safety. He is there though and was sobbing at the horror.

Dear God - Show us the way back.
Oh the poor baby, I'm so sorry he has to see that. Awful.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My friends there tell me the amount of corpses is staggaring. Again, they are not collecting these yet and concentrating on the rescuing the living. They should, IMO, get these corpses out of the water as soon possible, though the raw sewage and already cholera infested water makes the immediate removal of the corpses (human and other) somewhat less exigent.
This is really gross but it's a reality: the same thing happened in Sissano Lagoon in Papua New Guinea after the great tsunami of 1998. The lagoon was separated from the open ocean by a spit, & the flooding brought all the saltwater crocodiles into the lagoon to feast on all the corpses.

In Louisiana, there are already reports of sharks & gators swimming freely throughout the area, & every news report shows people -- rescuers & rescuees -- mucking around in the waist-deep water. It's shiver-inducing.

As if sharks & gators weren't bad enough, you have all these venomous serpents -- rattlers, cottonmouth water moccasins, corals, etc. -- slithering around in the water (snakes are great swimmers), having been disturbed from their dens. Many people have been bitten by poisonous snakes in water all over the world; snakes can bite while they're swimming.

It's just horrifying. I think as many people as can be spotted in those areas should be airlifted by helicopter out of there asap. Take them to Red Cross centers that aren't in or near the swamps or flooded areas.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Good luck to him, strand. He'll be okay.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David

It's just horrifying. I think as many people as can be spotted in those areas should be airlifted by helicopter out of there asap. Take them to Red Cross centers that aren't in or near the swamps or flooded areas.
I fear for the break-outs of disease if they are not evacuated immediately.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
This is really gross but it's a reality: the same thing happened in Sissano Lagoon in Papua New Guinea after the great tsunami of 1998. The lagoon was separated from the open ocean by a spit, & the flooding brought all the saltwater crocodiles into the lagoon to feast on all the corpses.

In Louisiana, there are already reports of sharks & gators swimming freely throughout the area, & every news report shows people -- rescuers & rescuees -- mucking around in the waist-deep water. It's shiver-inducing.

As if sharks & gators weren't bad enough, you have all these venomous serpents -- rattlers, cottonmouth water moccasins, corals, etc. -- slithering around in the water (snakes are great swimmers), having been disturbed from their dens. Many people have been bitten by poisonous snakes in water all over the world; snakes can bite while they're swimming.

That's so frightening. I wish I could help them get out. Then smack them silly for not heeding the evacuation order.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you go to http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ and click on the "Images" tab - you can see some of the horror.

Caution - it contains very graphic images