The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-05-2018, 08:37 AM
mitzo's Avatar
mitzo mitzo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
I'm not into Lindseys songs that much, too, BUT - you are vastly underrating him for FM here. Imho he had so many songs on the albums because without them, the albums wouldn't have happened at all. Christine writes for a project, she does 3 or 4 good tracks - that's it. All Stevie has to offer for decades now are old demos, and she plundered whatever she had thoroughly for her solo recordings. So Lindseys work of art has not been putting his songs on FM, but rather bringing out the best in Christine, dusting off Stevies tired old leftovers, making it all sound like a band AND kicking their lazy asses into the studio for a start. He may or may not have always been successful in his artistic visions at all times, but the results we listen to come from HIS hard work and his alone. Egomaniac or not, he made FM happen, from Tusk on.

And that makes firing him such a betrayal, the band absolutely relied on his talents, his commitment and his devotion for decades. And suddenly he is just another former guitar player, because changing guitar players is the legacy of the band. Pass me the vomit bucket, please.
I agree with you on this and my point was just that I never cared for him as a songwriter, and he did brilliant work in the studio 100%. I just always have ignored his songs on FM albums in favour of the great stuff he did for the girls' compositions.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-05-2018, 11:23 AM
secondhandchain's Avatar
secondhandchain secondhandchain is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 1,298
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
So Lindsey has been fired from FM, they say. A sad reality for FM fans to face and I will never really understand why it happened. Maybe it isn't even my business, but anyway. It will really change the sound of the band live or (tiny remote miniscule possibility) in the studio. Lindsey, your producing was amazing. From Tusk through to SYW you took the girls' (or girl's) songs and made them real works of art. But I must say, I never liked your own music very much. Always skippables, rather annoying diversions from the juicy songs from Stevie and Christine, to me and any friends I have who are into FM at all. You sure took up a lot of space on TITN and SYW and those albums feel like Lindsey solo albums made into FM albums, maybe when you realized your own solo albums would not sell or the labels were reluctant to work with you? Even on Buckingham McVie you was really into yourself musically. I downloaded Christine's songs from that one, anyway, you obviously brought a lot of life to them. So, goodbye Lindsey and thanks for the magnificent legacy which lives on in Christine and Stevie's songs on FM albums. Unless you return to FM in a studio, though, we will probably never meet again, buddy.
Skippables? No and No Any friends i know that are into FM think LB is the bomb.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-05-2018, 12:40 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 9,848
Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
There's always a minority opinion on every topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasja View Post
Evidently!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Ha, I plan on seeing him in concert this year. Not so much FM. Lindsey is affordable and puts on one hell of a live show. Not to mention he'll be playing NEW music!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
And he's a nice guy who appreciates and acknowledges his fans!

Cannot WAIT!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Lindsey's actually so nice to fans. I was honestly surprised by all of the countless fan encounter stories I've heard. I don't know why I just wouldn't have expected it from him? According to just about everyone who interacted with/met him at shows as well as just random encounters and things like that, he's very open and approachable. He actually chats with the people and isn't afraid to get close to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I have also heard this from anyone who has ever had an encounter with him as fans. That he is warm approachable and down to earth .One girl I want to a show with years ago actually cried when she met him and he smiled and said "but will you still love me tomorrow"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I very much agree. And I never would have
guessed he'd be that way. I'd have placed
money on the opposite.
i love how all these "hate" threads started as anti-LB proclamations end up turning into a lovefest towards Lindsey for everything he's done for the band and the fans - whether on stage, in studio, and like in this thread's case private encounters with fans.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-05-2018, 02:55 PM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 5,187
Default

Mitzo isn't the only one in the world that doesn't especially like Lindsey's songs. When last year I made my bestfriend listen to Buckingham McVie she liked only Christine's songs (except for Feel About You that she hated) and said that Lindsey's songs "didn't tell her anything" while for me surprisingly it was the opposite.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-05-2018, 03:32 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Mitzo isn't the only one in the world that doesn't especially like Lindsey's songs. When last year I made my bestfriend listen to Buckingham McVie she liked only Christine's songs (except for Feel About You that she hated) and said that Lindsey's songs "didn't tell her anything" while for me surprisingly it was the opposite.
Wow for me that's really the opposite. I almost always like Christine's songs mostly just because they're catchy and easy on the ears, but I rarely associate her songs with much "feeling", the way I do for Lindsey and Stevie. I guess that's just a telling of how different peoples tastes/interpretations of music are. I think Stevie's classic songs are some of the best lyrics ever, but just as many people probably think they're trite. And I think Lindsey's songs are mostly really clever and intense but to many others they're just crazy or confusing.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-05-2018, 03:40 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is online now
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 10,438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Mitzo isn't the only one in the world that doesn't especially like Lindsey's songs. When last year I made my bestfriend listen to Buckingham McVie she liked only Christine's songs (except for Feel About You that she hated) and said that Lindsey's songs "didn't tell her anything" while for me surprisingly it was the opposite.
Feel About You is such a cheese fest, that I was embarrassed to let anybody witness me listening to it. I mean, I love it, but it's cheesy AF.
__________________
and Stevie Nicks was starting to lumber along like a sod-packed wheelbarrow.
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-05-2018, 03:57 PM
mitzo's Avatar
mitzo mitzo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i love how all these "hate" threads started as anti-LB proclamations end up turning into a lovefest towards Lindsey for everything he's done for the band and the fans - whether on stage, in studio, and like in this thread's case private encounters with fans.
This started as a hate thread? Elle, get help. Please.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-05-2018, 04:32 PM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 5,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Wow for me that's really the opposite. I almost always like Christine's songs mostly just because they're catchy and easy on the ears, but I rarely associate her songs with much "feeling", the way I do for Lindsey and Stevie. I guess that's just a telling of how different peoples tastes/interpretations of music are. I think Stevie's classic songs are some of the best lyrics ever, but just as many people probably think they're trite. And I think Lindsey's songs are mostly really clever and intense but to many others they're just crazy or confusing.
I prefer Christine when she's closer to her blues roots, in fact I like less her output from Mirage onward for the same reason, I guess I didn't expect her collaboration with Lindsey to be so poppy.
However I think I have to add that my friend likes classic hard rock like Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath (she used to listen to Marilyn Manson too but thank God time -with a little bit of my help- fixed that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Feel About You is such a cheese fest, that I was embarrassed to let anybody witness me listening to it. I mean, I love it, but it's cheesy AF.
I just listened it on my headphones when I still had them so I wouldn't have that problem anyway, but I sometimes still sing it, in any case since noone here apart from me really knows English I'm safe.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-05-2018, 04:51 PM
wondergirl9847's Avatar
wondergirl9847 wondergirl9847 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: The Ledge
Posts: 9,274
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Wow for me that's really the opposite. I almost always like Christine's songs mostly just because they're catchy and easy on the ears, but I rarely associate her songs with much "feeling", the way I do for Lindsey and Stevie. I guess that's just a telling of how different peoples tastes/interpretations of music are. I think Stevie's classic songs are some of the best lyrics ever, but just as many people probably think they're trite. And I think Lindsey's songs are mostly really clever and intense but to many others they're just crazy or confusing.
I always see Christine as "I write songs."

I see Lindsey and Stevie as [/INTENSE STARING] "I write poems and melodies with structure and depth. The amount of time I spend doing this is more than most people spend on a 9-5 job because my brain is constantly thinking of words, melodies and guitar parts."

I think I mentioned in a post recently that Stevie's words may be pretty and poetic at times, but I connect with Lindsey's moreso because of his simplicity. They have ALL written crap, but overall, their music is amazing and I love it. Danny Kirwan is included in this too, as I love his stuff. He was pretty flowery at times too. I always say Steve and Lindsey are a great mix of Danny.

This is why debating who is the BEST writer, singer, etc. in the band is stupid. LOL We ALL love someone different for various reasons. Some of us love When I See You Again...some hate it. Meh. There's enough output for all of us to get some goodies.

All that said...I am PEEVED to high heaven right now with this situation.
__________________
**Christy**
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-05-2018, 05:02 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
I always see Christine as "I write songs."

I see Lindsey and Stevie as [/INTENSE STARING] "I write poems and melodies with structure and depth. The amount of time I spend doing this is more than most people spend on a 9-5 job because my brain is constantly thinking of words, melodies and guitar parts."

I think I mentioned in a post recently that Stevie's words may be pretty and poetic at times, but I connect with Lindsey's moreso because of his simplicity. They have ALL written crap, but overall, their music is amazing and I love it. Danny Kirwan is included in this too, as I love his stuff. He was pretty flowery at times too. I always say Steve and Lindsey are a great mix of Danny.

This is why debating who is the BEST writer, singer, etc. in the band is stupid. LOL We ALL love someone different for various reasons. Some of us love When I See You Again...some hate it. Meh. There's enough output for all of us to get some goodies.

All that said...I am PEEVED to high heaven right now with this situation.
Totally agree with this. In general I tend to get more drawn in by Stevie's poetic lyrics especially during her prime (1975-Bella Donna imo), but I think Lindsey's lyrics are underrated. Maybe because he himself has always said he's not much of a writer, but I think he's always been very good at having super simple lyrics that portray something in a very subtle, clever way. Like Tusk the song. How I see it is that it's all about an affair, but from the perspective of a third party warning the man's wife/girlfriend about it. It's just very smartly done if you ask me. And like Never Going Back Again, 'you don't know what it means to win', so simple and effective.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-05-2018, 06:27 PM
button-lip's Avatar
button-lip button-lip is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
This started as a hate thread? Elle, get help. Please.
The thread’s title isn’t exactly a love fest. What’s the point of starting a thread just to say you never liked Lindsey’s songs. I never liked many of Stevie’s songs and I don’t need to start a thread for everybody to know that.

Besides,you’re saying you liked his work on Stevie and Christine’s songs but you say you “hardly knew him”?
__________________
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
- Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.

Last edited by button-lip : 05-05-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-05-2018, 06:32 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 9,848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
The thread’s title isn’t exactly a love fest. What’s the point of starting a thread just to say you never liked Lindsey’s songs. I never liked many of Stevie’s songs and I don’t need to start a thread for everybody to know that.

Besides,you’re saying you liked his work on Stevie and Christine’s work but you say you “hardly knew him”?
lol yeah the thread title is basically saying - couldn't wait to get rid of ya!

#lovefest
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-06-2018, 11:12 AM
mitzo's Avatar
mitzo mitzo is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,406
Default


Last edited by mitzo : 05-06-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: could not properly insert image
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-06-2018, 05:57 PM
jbrownsjr jbrownsjr is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11,191
Default

I'm really going to miss LB. Glad we get solo stuff.. but really wanted an album with the fireflies..

Still in shock he's gone.
__________________
I would tell Christine Perfect, "You're Christine f***ing McVie, and don't you forget it!"
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-06-2018, 07:57 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I'm really going to miss LB. Glad we get solo stuff.. but really wanted an album with the fireflies..

Still in shock he's gone.
Definitely in shock...I just can't believe that this happened, and that it happened right at the end of their careers. I know this band has its issues-- EVERY band has their issues, but for it to end up like this
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved