Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Ledgie

Default He was the best.

Although I have always thought that debating the question of who was the greatest player from that era or any other was somewhat futile given personal taste, etc.. A guitar player freind of mine once told me that to make an honest judgement on this subject, you would have to listen to 300-400 players satarting with Mister Johnson and freinds up to the time when computer technology changed most everything, 1975 or so..

Well, thanks to Youtube I have managed to listen to most of those 400 players and still I haven't found anyone that was in Peter's class at that time, not Henrix, Clapton, Beck, not even Buddy Guy. I thought maybe I would find his equal in the Jazz world, but here as well, I just can't find any player that is or was on the same level, close, but no cigar.

Thanks Slipkid for the Youtube links. I have heard the Round House and Stockholm versions on Youtube but they are the only boots that I have not yet aquired. I have the Carousel Ballroom boot with Worried Dream and yes it is stunning. Your comment about Owlsley is interesting, I've wondered who taped that show as it was pre Dinky Dawson.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Morris View Post
Thanks Slipkid for the Youtube links. I have heard the Round House and Stockholm versions on Youtube but they are the only boots that I have not yet aquired. I have the Carousel Ballroom boot with Worried Dream and yes it is stunning.
I sent you a private message
Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Although I have always thought that debating the question of who was the greatest player from that era or any other was somewhat futile given personal taste, etc.. A guitar player Friend of mine once told me that to make an honest judgment on this subject, you would have to listen to 300-400 players starting with Mister Johnson and Friends up to the time when computer technology changed most everything, 1975 or so..

Well, thanks to You tube I have managed to listen to most of those 400 players and still I haven't found anyone that was in Peter's class at that time, not Henrix, Clapton, Beck, not even Buddy Guy. I thought maybe I would find his equal in the Jazz world, but here as well, I just can't find any player that is or was on the same level, close, but no cigar.

Thanks Slipkid for the Youtube links. I have heard the Round House and Stockholm versions on Youtube but they are the only boots that I have not yet acquired. I have the Carousel Ballroom boot with Worried Dream and yes it is stunning. Your comment about Owlsley is interesting, I've wondered who taped that show as it was pre Dinky Dawson.
We should be good friends!! You just typed what I've been trying to express since I re-discovered Peter Green two years ago. As a rule I hate rock/blues guitar players, of any generation, unless it's a certain handful :-). In the jazz world, there's Grant Green, and Wes Montgomery, and my mother's Charlie Byrd. I could never hate them.

I'm a year short of 40, and for the first time in my life (age 37), I FINALLY found the best rock/blues guitarist ever,or should it be finally "heard" him. I already had his work with Mayall, and the BBC live FM CD's. Peter Green's guitar playing makes me want to forget that Clapton, Jimi, SRV, Page, Beck, Blackmore, and Townshend ever existed. Thanks to hearing Peter Green in a different light, I've come to appreciate guitarists like David Gilmour. I also think Jerry Miller deserves serious accolades.

Actually that's a little harsh, I still love EC with Mayall, and Cream. I also like old Pete Townshend before he smashed his hand in '92/'93. Mick Ronson., should be mentioned.

Last edited by slipkid; 07-29-2010 at 06:54 AM..
Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Future Games Reviews

by Greg Brady
On July 30, 2010 at 5:15 pm
.The liner notes tell some of the tale, detailing 4 new members since the band’s beginning only 4 years earlier (Peter Green left in 1969, Jeremy Spencer in 1970, Christine McVie and Bob Welch are the new bandmates here), and a search for a new direction musically.

The band’s push toward a softer rock begins here, most of the tracks being moody and languid. Making the pacing this way means the album lives or dies on the strength of the lyrics and in this case, there are about 3 too many Danny Kirwan songs sinking the proceedings. “Woman of 1000 Years” and “Sometimes” are dreadful. With a better lyric, “Sands of Time” would be outstanding, but the meandering pretentious lyric renders the song mediocre. “What a Shame” is another uninteresting instrumental.

The best tunes here are Bob Welch’s Biblical potboiler “Lay it All Down” which shows the strongest hook appeal of any of the songs, the wistful title track (which is the only song here to wax philosophical and benefit from it), and Christine’s “Show me A Smile”.

This is definitely one to only pick up used and only if you’re a diehard FM fan. The band has some good pre-Buckingham/Nicks material but this isn’t the place to find it.
Rating: 2 / 5

by Anonymous
On July 30, 2010 at 5:42 pm
.I am a avid FM fan, and honestly, I can’t listen to this album. I love the Pete Green Era, and the Lindsey/Stevie era. But this doesn’t even stack up to Bare trees. Likely the least listened too album in my FM collection.
Rating: 2 / 5

by A. Calabrese
On July 30, 2010 at 6:22 pm
.The Future Games LP by Fleetwood Mac was released at the end of FM’s blues era. Peter Green had long left the band. Guitarist/singer Jeremy Spencer went joined a religious commune, and Danny Kirwin was on his way to total meltdown. And, while the band, tried to fill in the gaps with the addition of Christine Perfect aka McVie and Bob Welch they just couldn’t get back what was lost. If the preceeding Kiln House and Bare Trees LPs are classics, Future Games just comes off as a contractural obligation piece. There are no strong songs here. Much on this album, like Woman of 1,000 Years, Sands of Time, and Show Me A Smile, are nice to listen too, there is nothing memorable here. If you are an Fleetwood Mac fan, than pick up the CD to fill in the blanks. FM’s transition from a rock/blues band to a pop band was not a smooth one, and it shows on Future Games.
Rating: 3 / 5

by Brian D. Rubendall
On July 30, 2010 at 8:22 pm
.Most people know little about the music Fleetwood Mac produced before Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham arrived in the mid-70s and transformed them into hitmaking superstars. But the seeds of the band’s later megasuccess began to be sown on “Future Games.” Christine McVie had only recently signed on, and her impact was immediately felt on “Show Me a Smile,” in which she can be heard laying the foundations for the hits she would write later. Of the rest of the songs, the highlights are “Woman of 1000 Years,” the title track and “Sands of Time.”

The album’s main drawback is that the band often sounds chilly and remote, a stark contrast to the melodic warmth of their later classics. Also, guitarist-singer Bob Welch, who Buckingham later replaced, never really fit in with the band’s style. The CD booklet contains no lyrics sheet, but does have a short biography on each performer and a full page of detailed liner notes that were penned when the album was released on CD.

Overall, a solid if unspectacular early album from a band that would later go on to much larger success.
Rating: 3 / 5

by Ian D. Macintyre
On July 30, 2010 at 9:00 pm
.This album was recorded during the period when Peter Green had long since departed and Buckingham and Nicks were unknowns playing the So Cal club circuit. Danny Kirwan is the driving force on this album just as Lindsey would be on Rumours 6 years later. With the additions of Bob Welch and Christine McVie, the seeds are sown for the band’s move from English blues to the mellow rock that would garmer success for them a half-decade later. A great album. However, some songs run on too long.
Rating: 4 / 5

http://xtechblog.com/future-games/
Old 07-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Ledgie

Default Great Players

It sounds like we are on the page Slipkid. In my opinion they are all great players, past and present. I think that anyone from that era that has been called a Guitar God,
Guitar Hero, Wizard, etc., is deserving of the title, they are all great players in their own way.
Still...
I haven't found anyone that appears to have the same emotional, even spiritual connection to the music that Peter has.
Perhaps it's Peter's humble nature or lack of ego that allows him to connect so easily, so thouroughly. For me, this is what seperates him from the others.
I like your selection of players, especially Mills, Ronson, and Grant Green.
I actually have the Moby Grape albun WOW on vinyl that was given to me by a freind when I was about 12 years old or so. Must dig it out a give it a listen, probably haven't heard it in twenty five years, should be interesting.
I've always liked Ronson's work with Bowie, and Grant Green, like Peter, was one the most underrated players in history.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

2TheAdvocate
Wayne Goldsmith says, “My future wife and I were also at the concert at Independence Hall that had Rory Gallagher, Pot Liquor and Fleetwood Mac. ...
http://www.2theadvocate.com/columnists/99603259.html
Old 07-30-2010, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I haven't found anyone that appears to have the same emotional, even spiritual connection to the music that Peter has.
Only one in my book....Duane Allman. Too bad that other than only playing together when they'd both sit in with the Grateful Dead at the same time, they never worked together besides that...I think there would've been some damned fine music come out of a Duane Allman/Peter Green collaboration. We've all seen what Duane did for Clapton's career.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Ledgie

Default Sky Dog

It's hard to disagree with your comments regarding Duane Allman. I have fantasized about Duane and Peter playing in the same band, it would have been mind blowing to be sure.
I still feel that Peter's musical connection was stronger, but of course we never got the chance to hear how Duane may have developed musically. A tragic loss still felt by many...
Old 07-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Only one in my book....Duane Allman. Too bad that other than only playing together when they'd both sit in with the Grateful Dead at the same time, they never worked together besides that...I think there would've been some damned fine music come out of a Duane Allman/Peter Green collaboration. We've all seen what Duane did for Clapton's career.
There have been rumors for years that a recording exists of just such a collaboration, but nothing has ever come to light, so the rumors may or may not any truth behind them: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=15619
Old 07-31-2010, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sky Dog, and Greeny

Quote:
It's hard to disagree with your comments regarding Duane Allman. I have fantasized about Duane and Peter playing in the same band, it would have been mind blowing to be sure.
I still feel that Peter's musical connection was stronger, but of course we never got the chance to hear how Duane may have developed musically. A tragic loss still felt by many...
If anyone can find the 11/70 New Orleans Warehouse recording of a three hour "Mountain Jam". The song began around midnight, and ended around 3 A.M.. You'll then have your answer. I fear that hurricane Katrina may have destroyed hidden gems tucked away in many attics.

The closest recorded evidence we have is that 2/11/70 Grateful Dead Fillmore East performance (second set) with Peter Green, and Duane Allman jamming to "Dark Star", and "Turn On Your Lovelight". Yet because Owsley Stanley is doing his best not to let two far and way beyond guitar talents upstage the regular members of the Dead, Green gets mixed out, as does Duane at times.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default This is old news but it may be new to you

Miss Kristin Puts a New Spin on Early Fleetwood Mac Favorites with "A Miss Kristin Mac Attack"
Not one to follow the crowd but known for paving the way via her undeniable originality, Miss Kristin strikes again with her impressive take on early Fleetwood Mac songs for both young and old to enjoy.

Putting a new spin on old favorites like "Emerald Eyes" and "Did You Ever Love Me", Miss Kristin croons her favorite early Fleetwood Mac songs in a reggae style production that brings new life and love to old favorites many may have never been introduced to otherwise. The songs may be a mystery to some, but to countless others, Miss Kristin is assisting in remembering an earlier time, with her demonstrative and emotive vocals.

Due to be released in September 2009 on the Big Fuss Records label, Miss Kristin enchants with these ten carefully selected tracks, from one of the greatest bands of our time (Fleetwood Mac) prior to their Stevie Nicks days. This is a top-notch collection of eclectic and classic songs that pays homage to this great band and their music created in the seventies.

Positioned beautifully in accordance with Christine McVie's sensual vocal style Miss Kristin re-creates favorites like "Spare Me A Little" and "Why" with new sincerity and strength. Touched by the greatness of classics like "Crazy Love", "Dissatisfied" and "The Way I Feel", Miss Kristin handles much of her own instrumentation, creating drum programming, playing the acoustic guitar and keyboards for all songs. Kristin features the expressive and talented reggae artist Emmanuel Sallasie on backing vocals and electric guitar for "Emerald Eyes", "The Derelict" and "Did You Ever Love Me" as well as some acoustic lead style guitar on "Bare Trees". And as with other more recent Miss Kristin releases, Kristin again features the exceptional Tom Landry on bass guitar for the entire collection. Erick Thorton makes two guest appearances with his tuneful harmonica on "Child Of Mine" as well as "The Derelict".

While "A Miss Kristin Mac Attack" will potentially manifest nostalgia, it triumphs in creating a fresh new beginning for these ten top drawer selections. Miss Kristin's Mac Attack features tender heartfelt melodies and riffs that remain and exist; weaving through your head long after the song has ended. This is a classic collection that will prevail as one of the masterpieces of the Miss Kristin catalog presenting itself in light of greatness for years to come.

Produced at 2High2Die Studios in Campbell, CA "A Miss Kristin Mac Attack" is a Big Fuss Records release and will be a digital only release initially. Look for it on iTunes and Amazon.com as well as EMusic, Rhapsody and wherever fine digital downloads are sold.

Miss Manor
Big Fuss Records
408-871-9135
www.misskristin.com
Author Information
Miss Manor
Big Fuss Records
http://automoved.com/item/nasa920191...c1a92164363574
Old 08-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Tramp - Tramp (1969)

Tramp – Tramp

Music Man SMLS 603 (U.K. 1969)

BOB BRUNNING bass
MICK FLEETWOOD drums
BOB HALL keyboards
DAVE KELLY vocals
JO ANNE KELLY vocals
DANNY KIRWAN guitar
DAVE BROOKS saxophone
IAN MORTON percussions

This was a great assembly of Fleetwood Mac alumni Bob Brunning on bass, Danny Kirwan on guitar and Mick Fleetwood on drums and they are rounded out nicely by Brunning's long time partner in crime Bob Hall (both played in Savoy Brown) on piano and Dave & Jo Ann Kelly on vocals (though under fake names due to legal reasons). Inspired playing and material set this platter alight. The rocking galloper "Own up" gets us started on perfect footing with Dave and Jo Ann dueling it out on lead vocals while Kirwan's rough guitar keeps the energy going along with great drum fills by Fleetwood and Brunning holds up his end well, a real highlight.

Other rocking moments are Danny's guitar instrumental spotlight called "Hard work" which is a fierce shuffle and Bob Hall has some of his most meaningful ivory licks added to this one. This is probably the longest Kirwan has soloed on his own on record to date though the slow "Street walking blues" often gets overlooked in this regard as Kirwan solos for well over a full minute towards the end of the track here and it's a gut wrencher that keeps you begging for more. If I have any complaint about this record, it's just that the late great Jo Ann Kelly is perhaps under used here as though she does a great job as mentioned on the opening cut, it sounds like she's really only on two other tracks here which are the great mopey classic blueser "Baby what you want me to do" handled perfectly here by all concerned and the catchy slight chunky funk of "On the scene" though again, accompanied by "little brother Dave". This turns out to be a minor quibble though as Dave lays down some great vocals on the rest of the tracks. The light plinky shuffle of "Same old thing", the effective stroll of "What you gonna do when the road comes through", the piano led boogie of "Somebody watching me", a piano and vocal only moaner called "Too late now", another piano led ballad called "Month of Sundays" (though it also includes a finger snapping jazz feel with Danny's delicate guitar strums keeping it successfully in this vein) and the well put together closing sing a long "Another day".

These explanations I have attempted to give here hardly do justice to the great sound this group have put out for us here as I find it a mix of blues and rock that is not bettered in many other albums if any. Also impressive is that Brunning is credited with co writing all tracks here except the Kirwan guitar work out discussed above and the great straight ahead blues highlight here "Baby what you want me to do" and I would say this album would rank as a highlight in the respective discography of all 3 Mac members here to date.

01 Own Up (2:49)
02 Same Old Thing (2:06)
03 What You Gonna Do (2:53)
04 Somebody Watching Me (2:59)
05 Too Late Mow (2:43)
06 Baby, What You Want Me to Do (4:11)
07 Street Walking Blues (3:19)
08 On the Scene (2:47)
09 Month of Sundays (3:42)
10 Hard Work (4:23)
11 Another Day (2:11)

Artwork Included

This is not a Cousin-Mike rip ; it was sent to us by a visitor. The source is probably CGR – Credits to Chris.

http://cousin-mike.blogspot.com/2010...ramp-1969.html
Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Tramp - Tramp (1969)

Tramp – Tramp

Music Man SMLS 603 (U.K. 1969)

BOB BRUNNING bass
MICK FLEETWOOD drums
BOB HALL keyboards
DAVE KELLY vocals
JO ANNE KELLY vocals
DANNY KIRWAN guitar
DAVE BROOKS saxophone
IAN MORTON percussions

This was a great assembly of Fleetwood Mac alumni Bob Brunning on bass, Danny Kirwan on guitar and Mick Fleetwood on drums and they are rounded out nicely by Brunning's long time partner in crime Bob Hall (both played in Savoy Brown) on piano and Dave & Jo Ann Kelly on vocals (though under fake names due to legal reasons). Inspired playing and material set this platter alight. The rocking galloper "Own up" gets us started on perfect footing with Dave and Jo Ann dueling it out on lead vocals while Kirwan's rough guitar keeps the energy going along with great drum fills by Fleetwood and Brunning holds up his end well, a real highlight.

Other rocking moments are Danny's guitar instrumental spotlight called "Hard work" which is a fierce shuffle and Bob Hall has some of his most meaningful ivory licks added to this one. This is probably the longest Kirwan has soloed on his own on record to date though the slow "Street walking blues" often gets overlooked in this regard as Kirwan solos for well over a full minute towards the end of the track here and it's a gut wrencher that keeps you begging for more. If I have any complaint about this record, it's just that the late great Jo Ann Kelly is perhaps under used here as though she does a great job as mentioned on the opening cut, it sounds like she's really only on two other tracks here which are the great mopey classic blueser "Baby what you want me to do" handled perfectly here by all concerned and the catchy slight chunky funk of "On the scene" though again, accompanied by "little brother Dave". This turns out to be a minor quibble though as Dave lays down some great vocals on the rest of the tracks. The light plinky shuffle of "Same old thing", the effective stroll of "What you gonna do when the road comes through", the piano led boogie of "Somebody watching me", a piano and vocal only moaner called "Too late now", another piano led ballad called "Month of Sundays" (though it also includes a finger snapping jazz feel with Danny's delicate guitar strums keeping it successfully in this vein) and the well put together closing sing a long "Another day".

These explanations I have attempted to give here hardly do justice to the great sound this group have put out for us here as I find it a mix of blues and rock that is not bettered in many other albums if any. Also impressive is that Brunning is credited with co writing all tracks here except the Kirwan guitar work out discussed above and the great straight ahead blues highlight here "Baby what you want me to do" and I would say this album would rank as a highlight in the respective discography of all 3 Mac members here to date.

01 Own Up (2:49)
02 Same Old Thing (2:06)
03 What You Gonna Do (2:53)
04 Somebody Watching Me (2:59)
05 Too Late Mow (2:43)
06 Baby, What You Want Me to Do (4:11)
07 Street Walking Blues (3:19)
08 On the Scene (2:47)
09 Month of Sundays (3:42)
10 Hard Work (4:23)
11 Another Day (2:11)

Artwork Included

This is not a Cousin-Mike rip ; it was sent to us by a visitor. The source is probably CGR – Credits to Chris.

http://cousin-mike.blogspot.com/2010...ramp-1969.html
I'm intriqued! How does one download it?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I'm intriqued! How does one download it?
I didn't see a dl link either. Oh Well.