The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't believe I forgot the alternate "slow intro" version of "I Can't Wait". I LOVE THAT ONE! It's basically just the lone synth piano chorus melody by itself, without any other instrumentation...and then the drums/other instruments kick in with a spoken intro by Stevie that has an echoed reverb...even though I can't understand what the Hell she's saying, I think it sounds really cool...and then the girls chime in with the "yes, I know you..." a couple of times before it goes into the first verse.

The only thing missing from this version is the instrumental breakdown after the musical bridge (the part in the music video where Stevie busts through the wall...and the part that David Letterman kept playing over and over on his show when he was making fun of Stevie).

If there were a version out there that included both the slow intro AND the middle instrumental breakdown, then this track would be PERFECTION for me, personally.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post

If there were a version out there that included both the slow intro AND the middle instrumental breakdown, then this track would be PERFECTION for me, personally.
YES!! And I love her hang gestures in the music video during the instrumental breakdown, too.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You guys are making me want to hear all these alternate versions that I've never heard.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
You guys are making me want to hear all these alternate versions that I've never heard.
This thread has a lot of useful information

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=46791
Old 03-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight View Post
This thread has a lot of useful information

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=46791
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
...and then the drums/other instruments kick in with a spoken intro by Stevie that has an echoed reverb...even though I can't understand what the Hell she's saying, I think it sounds really cool...
She's saying "How will we feel 20 years from now thinking back". There was a cassette tape one of the Ledgies got off of ebay that had a bunch of super rare raw mixes of I Can't Wait that included several bits that seemed to be things they were trying out for the extended mixes. A few of them play the sample that you hear in the final mix before the guitar solo but without a lot of the backing instruments and you can clearly hear what is being said. It's clearly not Stevie, but I'm not sure which if the girls it is. I always thought it was a sample from a movie or something because remixers in the 80's did that from time to time. But in one of the rough mixes of the single version they play the beginning part without all that echoed reverb and the one at the beginning is clearly Stevie. So it's my guess that they had Stevie do it and one of the girls and then just played around with it. There was a keyboard called a Fairlight that let you sample things very clearly and play them with the keys on a keyboard. Stevie Wonder had a cameo on the Cosby show and did a bit with it where he sampled the kids voices and made a little impromptu performance out of it. That's how, during the bridge, it's played at different speeds and starts out with that sort of stuttering effect with "how-how will... how-how will we....'
Old 03-23-2015, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That version of "I Can't Wait" was used as the single version in the UK. It was the lead single from RAL here, instead of "Talk To Me".

On the subject, the "Blue Denim" single remix is FAR better than the album version. It packs so much more punch than the flat sounding album version.

I also prefer the 12" Extended remix of "The Nightmare", but being truly honest, it's a terrible song, so it doesn't really save it that much :P
Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Street Angel's mix is just....meh. The Enchanted box remixes of the two best Street Angel songs (says me), 'Rose Garden' and 'Destiny', are the only versions to listen to.

I first came to love 'I Can't Wait' on Enchanted, but honestly I've come to love the original Rock a Little version more. It'd be nice to put elements from the remix on Enchanted together with the album version, though.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 03-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've recently completed my Fleetwood Mac single single/promo single collection and I bought the "Say You Will" radio promo single. Is it me or is this a whole newly recorded version of the song? The intro is different, Stevie's verse melody is different in the second verse, and the breakdown is different at the end.

I'm not sure I like it more or less than the album version, but it was a weird curio I never knew about.