Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Ledgie

Default Remixes better than the Album Version

Today, I discovered those Street Angel Master Mix demos, and I'm shocked at how better some of the songs sound, namely Maybe Love which is so much better.

So I'm wondering, is there any other album tracks which have an "improved" version (be it a demo or an alternative mix etc.)

With these mixes, Street Angel album isn't as bad (but it's still pretty bad)
Thanks!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I tend to favor the 12" extended version of "Rock A Little" (Go Ahead Lily) as well as the 12" extended mix of "Long Way To Go".

I'm in the minority as far as the B-Side remix of "The Nightmare". I love it soooo much better than the cut that made the album.

I also love the Sheryl Crow Radio Edit of "Sorcerer", which starts off fast. I don't like it BETTER than the original, but it's got a different vibe. More guitar heavy. I tend to use that one on my "guitar driven" Stevie mix tapes.

As far as Fleetwood Mac, the extended version of "Gypsy" that appeared on the Chain boxed set is the only version I listen to these days. And the single versions of "Say You Love Me" and "Rhiannon" I also like better than their album version counterparts.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also to add to that, as far as demos...

Even though the album version of "Blue Water" has grown on me (I tend to sequence it with other country-ish songs on my various mixes - it works well squeezed between "Sleeping Angel" and "If You Ever Did Believe") I still prefer the demo version, and all the magic within.

I'd say the same thing about "Lady From The Mountain" versus "Moonlight" but they are essentially two different songs that share same lyrics and melody on the verses...and I love them equally.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
I tend to favor the 12" extended version of "Rock A Little" (Go Ahead Lily) as well as the 12" extended mix of "Long Way To Go".

I'm in the minority as far as the B-Side remix of "The Nightmare". I love it soooo much better than the cut that made the album.

I also love the Sheryl Crow Radio Edit of "Sorcerer", which starts off fast. I don't like it BETTER than the original, but it's got a different vibe. More guitar heavy. I tend to use that one on my "guitar driven" Stevie mix tapes.

As far as Fleetwood Mac, the extended version of "Gypsy" that appeared on the Chain boxed set is the only version I listen to these days. And the single versions of "Say You Love Me" and "Rhiannon" I also like better than their album version counterparts.

YES YES to all of this! I particularly LOVE the 12" extended RAL and The Nightmare. There were rumours that the remixed Nightmare was originally slated for what was eventually released as Crystal Visions, which would've been amazing. I also like the Blue Lamp and Nightbird outtakes with the extra vocals at the end, and the extended version of Planets with the extra verse.

And although I don't strongly prefer them over the originals, the Timespace CLA remixes always sounds fresh when I listen to them.

As to FM songs, I entirely agree re Gypsy. The TITN extended dance remixes are great - I particularly love the 12" Seven Wonders mix and the extra Stevie vocals on Little Lies. I'd also add the single, cold edit version of Say You Will, which thankfully omits the dreadful childrens' voices at the end.

Last edited by BlueLight; 03-17-2015 at 02:41 PM..
Old 03-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always said I liked the Wildheart dressing room video version better then the studio cut.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 03-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've always much preferred Battle of the Dragon from the Sometimes It's A Bitch CD single than the Enchanted version...
Old 03-17-2015, 04:19 PM
Ledgie

The intro of the Extended version of Long Way To Go is quite kooky...I like it!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyleo View Post
I've always much preferred Battle of the Dragon from the Sometimes It's A Bitch CD single than the Enchanted version...
I don't think I've heard this version. Is this the same version as Chris Lord-Alge's Timespace mix? What's different about it?

I'm so curious now, as BOTD is one of her BEST songs, in my opinion. A shame it never got the proper exposure it should have gotten.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think I've heard this version. Is this the same version as Chris Lord-Alge's Timespace mix? What's different about it?

I'm so curious now, as BOTD is one of her BEST songs, in my opinion. A shame it never got the proper exposure it should have gotten.
Honestly, not sure. It's a great mix. The CD doesn't attribute CLA, but it very well could be him (most of the liner notes are in Japanese). Is the Enchanted version the same as the mix on the American Anthem soundtrack? (I haven't heard the soundtrack version). Interestingly, the CD (which was only released in Japan), calls the song "Battle of the Dragons," plural.

But your mention of CLA reminds me, I love his mixes of Thousand Days and the Listen to the Rain outtake from Timespace - both are far superior to the album/official single mixes, IMO.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLight View Post
Is the Enchanted version the same as the mix on the American Anthem soundtrack?
Yes.

The only versions of BOTD that I've heard are Enchanted/American Anthem version and the Timespace mix. There are only subtle differences. Mixing and volume levels on instrumentation, mainly. That's why I'm wondering how different the B-Side version from Sometimes Its A Bitch is compared to the others.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes.

The only versions of BOTD that I've heard are Enchanted/American Anthem version and the Timespace mix. There are only subtle differences. Mixing and volume levels on instrumentation, mainly. That's why I'm wondering how different the B-Side version from Sometimes Its A Bitch is compared to the others.
It very well may be the Timespace mix - I just haven't that, so am not 100% certain. The SIAB B-side is not super dramatically different from the Enchanted mix.

It's a shame the song never made it onto Mirror Mirror/RAL - one of her better from that period.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

The main difference I hear is the vocal has a lot less echo on it than the Enchanted version. My liner notes aren't in Japanese (it's the Aussie CD )but it doesn't mention CLA, but does say that track was originally published in 1986.
As you mentioned, the differences are subtle, mainly in the instrumentation and it's the less echoey vocal that I like more than the Enchanted version.
Cheers!
Old 03-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
Today, I discovered those Street Angel Master Mix demos, and I'm shocked at how better some of the songs sound, namely Maybe Love which is so much better.

So I'm wondering, is there any other album tracks which have an "improved" version (be it a demo or an alternative mix etc.)

Thanks!
I should add that I completely agree that the master/original SA mixes are so much better than what was ultimately released (although the album is no doubt her weakest). I've always been intrigued by how she chose to remix the songs post-detox, but later chose to include the Master Mixes on Enchanted.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post

Thanks!
The original mixes are very stripped down, which some fans prefer. I personally like a little more meat and production on the solo recordings. So that's why I prefer the final version of "Blue Denim" and "Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind." But I do like the original mixes for "Unconditional Love" and "Jane."

The alternate mix for "Rock a Little" stands out for me too. I like Stevie's vocal, which is less ragged and drunk-sounding, and that this version is considerably longer.

I'm a big fan of the "Whole Lotta Trouble," "Sleeping Angel," and "Battle of the Dragon" remixes too, which all improve upon the originals.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyleo View Post
The main difference I hear is the vocal has a lot less echo on it than the Enchanted version. My liner notes aren't in Japanese (it's the Aussie CD )but it doesn't mention CLA, but does say that track was originally published in 1986.
As you mentioned, the differences are subtle, mainly in the instrumentation and it's the less echoey vocal that I like more than the Enchanted version.
Cheers!
It's actually the drums that make the biggest difference. These remixes were all done by Chris Lord-Alge for consideration on Timespace (The master reels have his name listed). The adjustment of the drums is one of his trademarks, and he usually goes big. He also did a great remix for "Violet and Blue."

Last edited by SpyNote; 03-18-2015 at 11:23 AM..