The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think its odd that Ann Wilson isn't on the list.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
It's just listing in order of the expanse of their range....
have you listened to katy perry unplugged? ear shattering, painful to listen to
Old 03-15-2015, 03:35 PM

Stevie Nicks Voice Changes: Can a Perforated Septum Affect Your Voice?
by Dr. Reena Gupta

Stevie Nicks has come back onto the stage in a big way. The current Fleetwood Mac tour has shed the spotlight on her once again, and among other topics, she is opening up about her struggles with drug addiction. Among the most prominent tales in Nicks’s lore is that of the hole in her septum. She has openly discussed that it is large and that it affects her eyes and her sinuses. But she has also mentioned it impacts her singing voice.

Fans have bemoaned the change in Stevie Nicks’s voice but even those unfamiliar with her music can hear a clear difference in the vocal quality between these two recordings of the same song:

The latter, recorded in 2011, is rewritten to avoid higher pitches. The earlier recording (from 1977) shows the vocal agility and quality that made Nicks a star. From 2:10 to 2:49 in that video, her gift is obvious. Clear tone, easy pitch manipulation, effortless appearance while singing and lyricism all stand out.

So could a perforated septum have changed all that?

What is a septum?

The septum is the structure in your nose that divides it into two sides (right and left). It is made up of bone in the back and cartilage in the front. The septum is lined by mucosa, a moist tissue that is like the lining of the inside of your mouth. Through blood vessels in the mucosa, the septum receives nutrients and oxygen to survive.

A perforation of the septum most commonly occurs in the cartilage portion of the septum. Many things can cause a septal perforation. The most important factor is the blood supply to the cartilage must be blocked.

What can block blood supply to the septum?

Medications and drugs that cause the blood vessels to constrict (or tighten up) will result in less blood flow to the cartilage. When this occurs chronically, over time the mucosa dies as do the blood vessels within the mucosa. When the blood vessels die, the cartilage can no longer receive nutrients and oxygen and so it, too, dies.

Blood supply can be interrupted, causing perforation, by:

Afrin
Cocaine
Nasal trauma
Rhinoplasty or septum surgery
Chronic nose-picking

Can a perforated septum affect your voice?

A perforated septum does affect on the voice:

Nasal resonance: the voice sounds more nasal
Post nasal drip: increased nasal secretions due to a septal perforation will drip onto the vocal cords, cause mild hoarseness and throat clearing
It will not cause a loss of vocal range nor should it produce chronic raspiness.

Will correcting the septal perforation change Stevie Nicks’s voice?

Fixing her septum will not worsen Nicks’s voice, nor did the perforation cause the changes in her voice. More likely than the perforation, the probable causes of her loss of range and change in quality are:

Cocaine: when cocaine is sniffed, it drips on to the vocal cords, causing chronic swelling
Rock singing: if not done carefully and with excellent technique, this can result in vocal scarring that is irreversible.
Aging: younger vocal cords may be able to “get away with” some of the behaviors (i.e., smoking, drug use, not resting, singing incorrectly) that over time will become unrecoverable. Vocal cords lose their ability to heal from injury with age.
These factors likely resulted in scarring which produces a loss of vocal range and change in vocal quality.

However, repairing the septum will improve her nasal resonance, giving her sound a more rich color and making it less nasal. This is feasible, should she choose to do it, with the help of an expert surgeon.

Luckily, Stevie Nicks’ legacy and gift for songwriting and performing, as well as her passion for music, will continue to inspire fans and music-lovers alike, enabling her to defy what might be career-ending for any other performer.

http://www.ohniww.org/perforated-septum-affect-voice/
Old 03-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
by Dr. Reena Gupta

Stevie Nicks has come back onto the stage in a big way. The current Fleetwood Mac tour has shed the spotlight on her once again, and among other topics, she is opening up about her struggles with drug addiction. Among the most prominent tales in Nicks’s lore is that of the hole in her septum. She has openly discussed that it is large and that it affects her eyes and her sinuses. But she has also mentioned it impacts her singing voice.

Fans have bemoaned the change in Stevie Nicks’s voice but even those unfamiliar with her music can hear a clear difference in the vocal quality between these two recordings of the same song:

The latter, recorded in 2011, is rewritten to avoid higher pitches. The earlier recording (from 1977) shows the vocal agility and quality that made Nicks a star. From 2:10 to 2:49 in that video, her gift is obvious. Clear tone, easy pitch manipulation, effortless appearance while singing and lyricism all stand out.

So could a perforated septum have changed all that?

What is a septum?

The septum is the structure in your nose that divides it into two sides (right and left). It is made up of bone in the back and cartilage in the front. The septum is lined by mucosa, a moist tissue that is like the lining of the inside of your mouth. Through blood vessels in the mucosa, the septum receives nutrients and oxygen to survive.

A perforation of the septum most commonly occurs in the cartilage portion of the septum. Many things can cause a septal perforation. The most important factor is the blood supply to the cartilage must be blocked.

What can block blood supply to the septum?

Medications and drugs that cause the blood vessels to constrict (or tighten up) will result in less blood flow to the cartilage. When this occurs chronically, over time the mucosa dies as do the blood vessels within the mucosa. When the blood vessels die, the cartilage can no longer receive nutrients and oxygen and so it, too, dies.

Afrin
Cocaine
Nasal trauma
Chronic nose-picking

Can a perforated septum affect your voice?

A perforated septum does affect on the voice:

Nasal resonance: the voice sounds more nasal
Post nasal drip: increased nasal secretions due to a septal perforation will drip onto the vocal cords, cause mild hoarseness and throat clearing
It will not cause a loss of vocal range nor should it produce chronic raspiness.

Will correcting the septal perforation change Stevie Nicks’s voice?

Fixing her septum will not worsen Nicks’s voice, nor did the perforation cause the changes in her voice. More likely than the perforation, the probable causes of her loss of range and change in quality are:

Cocaine: when cocaine is sniffed, it drips on to the vocal cords, causing chronic swelling
Rock singing: if not done carefully and with excellent technique, this can result in vocal scarring that is irreversible.
Aging: younger vocal cords may be able to “get away with” some of the behaviors (i.e., smoking, drug use, not resting, singing incorrectly) that over time will become unrecoverable. Vocal cords lose their ability to heal from injury with age.
These factors likely resulted in scarring which produces a loss of vocal range and change in vocal quality.

However, repairing the septum will improve her nasal resonance, giving her sound a more rich color and making it less nasal. This is feasible, should she choose to do it, with the help of an expert surgeon.

Luckily, Stevie Nicks’ legacy and gift for songwriting and performing, as well as her passion for music, will continue to inspire fans and music-lovers alike, enabling her to defy what might be career-ending for any other performer.

http://www.ohniww.org/perforated-septum-affect-voice/
This is absolutely fascinating. I think it would be great if Stevie would consider that surgery, because as she ages her voice will lose more of its quality. Although she says she will never have it repaired because she's afraid that it would change her voice.

Thanks for posting, great read.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
by Dr. Reena Gupta

The 1977 clip of Stevie hitting the high notes in this clip is somewhat of a misrepresentation. Not very far into the Rumours tour she dropped those high notes. It's easier to stretch her voice in a studio. When she's on tour she plays it safe to preserve her voice.

She was still in her twenties. Why should anyone be surprised that her voice is different now that she is in her mid-sixties? It's natural that she lost some of her vocal agility as she aged. But throughout her career she's always had vocal issues.

She still has a powerful voice, albeit limited in range, but she makes the most of it. With faint grasp of her higher range, she utilizes her lower range. She can still belt it out.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-15-2015 at 09:50 PM..
Old 03-15-2015, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Many things can cause a septal perforation.

Afrin
Cocaine
Nasal trauma
Chronic nose-picking
Chronic nose-picking? That's it. I'm screwed.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, Miley Cyrus is one of the world's greatest singers. Who knew?

Kevin
Old 03-16-2015, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
Wow, Miley Cyrus is one of the world's greatest singers. Who knew?

Kevin
No, it says in the subheading "Compare the vocal ranges of today’s top artists with the greatest of all time."
Old 03-16-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Chronic nose-picking? That's it. I'm screwed.
Unfortunately you're not the only one...

Old 03-16-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
The 1977 clip of Stevie hitting the high notes in this clip is somewhat of a misrepresentation. Not very far into the Rumours tour she dropped those high notes. It's easier to stretch her voice in a studio. When she's on tour she plays it safe to preserve her voice.

She was still in her twenties. Why should anyone be surprised that her voice is different now that she is in her mid-sixties? It's natural that she lost some of her vocal agility as she aged. But throughout her career she's always had vocal issues.

She still has a powerful voice, albeit limited in range, but she makes the most of it. With faint grasp of her higher range, she utilizes her lower range. She can still belt it out.
It's true that the Paris rehearsals performance used for the Dreams official video is above her average performance but t the time she could hit those notes and do it well, but now she can't even at her best.
She always had vocal issues, even during the first tour, but then they were temporary and she managed to recover, now they are permanent.
During the Rumours tour she never completely dropped the high notes, she almost always managed to hit them even if not like before until 1978. On bootleg she completely avoided them only during her worst days, like at the Madison Square Garden and in Nagoya. I think the last high note she hits in "Dreams" is on the Osaka show.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No, it says in the subheading "Compare the vocal ranges of today’s top artists with the greatest of all time."
Oh, thanks for that. My 50 year old eyes could not read that fine print, and I hadn't clicked on the image to see it in its original, larger version. But I'm glad I did. It's interesting that the lowest note Stevie hits in the studio is on God's Garden, but now that I think about it, she does get really low on that one. Also, I think it's even more interesting that they even included that song in their data. Most non die hard fans don't even know about that song. They really did their homework.

Kevin
Old 03-16-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
Oh, thanks for that. My 50 year old eyes could not read that fine print, and I hadn't clicked on the image to see it in its original, larger version. But I'm glad I did. It's interesting that the lowest note Stevie hits in the studio is on God's Garden, but now that I think about it, she does get really low on that one. Also, I think it's even more interesting that they even included that song in their data. Most non die hard fans don't even know about that song. They really did their homework.

Kevin
No problem! I would have been severely worried if they considered some of the names on that list among the greatest singers af all time. t
I enjoyed this list, they roamed well on Stevie's catalogue!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Ledgie

Very interesting read - I always wondered what made her voice change so much in 5 years between 1982 and 1987, I suppose it was a combination of coke, cigarettes and a lot of other things.

I always wondered when Christine smoked (still does) and did coke too, her voice hasn't changed much at all. It's matured, but hasn't changed so much like Stevie's.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
Very interesting read - I always wondered what made her voice change so much in 5 years between 1982 and 1987, I suppose it was a combination of coke, cigarettes and a lot of other things.

I always wondered when Christine smoked (still does) and did coke too, her voice hasn't changed much at all. It's matured, but hasn't changed so much like Stevie's.
Thank you!
Thinking about Stevie's last admissions about her taking aspirin and other meds through her nose, the hole in her septum is no big surprise.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 03-17-2015 at 08:27 AM..
Old 04-05-2015, 08:32 AM

I had heard about collagen injections to vocal chords used to rejuvenate voice, but I wonder if it's worth it.
What do you think?