Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:20 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Christine's songs pre Buckingham-Nicks

Is there anybody here who prefers Christine's FM songs that she wrote before BN joined the band? Think about it, we have Why, Spare Me A Little, Come A Little Bit Closer, Remember Me, etc. a TON of great songs. Not to say that I don't like her work with BN...so many classics of hers. But I find that I find her pre BN songs just as good (some, if not better). I also wished that some of those songs were used on the FM, Rumours and Tusk albums. Watching her perform some of those songs with BN in the 1975-76 era really made me think they'd fit the rumours line up quite nicely.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
Is there anybody here who prefers Christine's FM songs that she wrote before BN joined the band? Think about it, we have Why, Spare Me A Little, Come A Little Bit Closer, Remember Me, etc. a TON of great songs. Not to say that I don't like her work with BN...so many classics of hers. But I find that I find her pre BN songs just as good (some, if not better). I also wished that some of those songs were used on the FM, Rumours and Tusk albums. Watching her perform some of those songs with BN in the 1975-76 era really made me think they'd fit the rumours line up quite nicely.
Ah you mean a comparison between pre-sugary sweet pop crap or sugary sweet pop crap? (oops I know I shouldn't annoy the Christine fans as this is the Christine forum).

With a couple of exceptions I'd take her pre-BN stuff any day. It was real music without the sweetness.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think her songwriting got stronger as she got more experienced,

some of the pre BN stuff was great - Why for example and some of it would have benefited from better production - her stuff on Penguin for example.

Gail
Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Ah you mean a comparison between pre-sugary sweet pop crap or sugary sweet pop crap? (oops I know I shouldn't annoy the Christine fans as this is the Christine forum).

With a couple of exceptions I'd take her pre-BN stuff any day. It was real music without the sweetness.
I take it you're not much of a Christine fan then?

Gail
Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I think her songwriting got stronger as she got more experienced,

some of the pre BN stuff was great - Why for example and some of it would have benefited from better production - her stuff on Penguin for example.

Gail
In my opinion though, the very thing that made her pre-BN stuff better was that lack of over-production
Old 11-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In my opinion though, the very thing that made her pre-BN stuff better was that lack of over-production
I think thr songs themselves on Penguin were good but with a Rumours era production they could have been better

Gail
Old 11-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
Is there anybody here who prefers Christine's FM songs that she wrote before BN joined the band?
No, but I prefer her pre-1983 songs to her post-1983 songs, as a whole.

If I made a list of my favorite Chris McVie songs & tracks, it probably wouldn't contain more than one or two from 1984 to 2009. Most of the list would comprise songs from 1969 to 1982.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I take it you're not much of a Christine fan then?

Gail
Hmm...not really...but don't worry I'm not much of a Lindsey fan either

The older I get the more I prefer the two non-Rumours eras
Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hmm...not really...but don't worry I'm not much of a Lindsey fan either

The older I get the more I prefer the two non-Rumours eras
Hmmmm...I actually count SIX non-Rumours eras:

1967-70
1971-72
1973-74
1987-90
1994-95
2003-present

ON TOPIC: Oh, yes, I MUCH prefer her pre-Rumours material....especially the Penguin through Heroes Are Hard To Find material.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I love so much of Christine's pre '75 work!! I have to say that there are very few songs I dislike of Christine's and, in my opinion, she was just as on top of her game in songs before '75 as she was in the songs after. I especially enjoy her songs from Heroes Are Hard To Find. She was always a star to me!!
Old 11-25-2009, 04:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Hmmmm...I actually count SIX non-Rumours eras:

1967-70
1971-72
1973-74
1987-90
1994-95
2003-present
1973-74
1987-90

If you want to be specific
Old 11-25-2009, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I tend to prefer her songs from 1971-74 because of the prominent keyboards in those songs, especially those fabulous electric pianos. Once you get into the '80s style production the keyboards largely get overlooked. It's my opinion that songs like "Everywhere" and "Little Lies" would sound much better if they were recorded with the sorts of instrumentation used for songs like "Morning Rain" or "Dissatisfied" (to name a couple of examples).

Last edited by nicepace; 11-25-2009 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: grammar
Old 11-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This observation is only partially accurate, I think. Many of her songs on Mystery and Heroes are thickly produced, whereas her songs on Fleetwood Mac (1975) and Tusk are spare, sometimes even skeletal.

It's true that Lindsey and Chris go in for big production, however, on Mirage and Tango. But even then, the production choices seem more rewarding than the over-the-top sickly string arrangements on Come a Little Bit Closer and the horns from Heroes.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
No, but I prefer her pre-1983 songs to her post-1983 songs, as a whole.

If I made a list of my favorite Chris McVie songs & tracks, it probably wouldn't contain more than one or two from 1984 to 2009. Most of the list would comprise songs from 1969 to 1982.
I would have agreed with this entirely, except for the introduction of ITM in 2004, which feature some of her best performances since 1979...
Old 11-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For the most part, I would have to say I agree that Christine's songs got better after Buckingham Nicks joined,

BUT

I think "Why" is one of the most perfect (excuse the pun) songs I've ever heard in my life.