User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
It was recently revealed that it's been inspired by Jane Goodall.

However my favourite thing about that demo is the oriental-like music.
I think this might be some sort of mistake... There's no way that the hauntingly dark lyrics of Joan of Arc have anything to do with chimpanzees... I just don't believe that.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauphineMarie View Post
I think this might be some sort of mistake... There's no way that the hauntingly dark lyrics of Joan of Arc have anything to do with chimpanzees... I just don't believe that.
I thought about it too at first, but it would be strange that noone in the Stevie management noticed it and had it corrected.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In an interview Stevie gave to USA Today when Street Angel was released, she mentioned she was going to sing Jane live that evening at a benefit for Jane Goodall, possibly the only time she ever sang it live. I mention this only because it seems odd to me she would have written two different songs about Jane Goodall between 1986 and 1994. Plus, Jane is, well, pretty obviously about Jane Goodall. Joan of Arc, not so much.

Having said that, there do seem to be some minor similarities between the two songs, such as the references to "the wall." Maybe Stevie wrote Joan of Arc about something else, but when she wrote Jane, she incorporated some of the ideas or lyrics from Joan of Arc into Jane. Just speculation.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
In an interview Stevie gave to USA Today when Street Angel was released, she mentioned she was going to sing Jane live that evening at a benefit for Jane Goodall, possibly the only time she ever sang it live. I mention this only because it seems odd to me she would have written two different songs about Jane Goodall between 1986 and 1994. Plus, Jane is, well, pretty obviously about Jane Goodall. Joan of Arc, not so much.

Having said that, there do seem to be some minor similarities between the two songs, such as the references to "the wall." Maybe Stevie wrote Joan of Arc about something else, but when she wrote Jane, she incorporated some of the ideas or lyrics from Joan of Arc into Jane. Just speculation.
I don't think that's the way to take it.
She said "inspired", not that it is about Jane Goodall's life. We need to remember that, as Stevie said more than once, her songs usually aren't about a person per se, but they're about herself and she took inspiration by the comparison with big figures, for example the last instance of Mable Normand.
There have been many times in which Stevie wrote entire groups of songs that revolved around a current interest of hers with a famous character or personality. The biggest example probably is her fascination with Lilian Hellmann and with the movie Julia that recounted the friendship between Lilian and Julia and in which Stevie recognized her own friendship with Robin, and around this theme she created the song characters of Lily and Julia that appear in Rock a Little, Julia, Lily Girl and Mirror Mirror.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I assumed "Joan of Arc" was about Betty Ford and the "turn to the wall" part was about the nurse having Stevie turn to the wall on the stretcher while they did a cavity check to make sure she didn't smuggle drugs in.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24karatstevie View Post
I'm all for Joan of Arc being Re-Recorded. Possibly a 24 Karat Gold pt 2? I feel like she would come around to doing a solo album as opposed to a Mac album since her stance is pretty clear about that.
I hope we got another solo album! I am convinced her piracy/no one buys records excuse is code for there's not enough money to make her record with Lindsey right now, even if Christine is back haha. Disappointing but understandable. Maybe she'll change her mind next year. There's no way to know. I do know I want a new solo album.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
I assumed "Joan of Arc" was about Betty Ford and the "turn to the wall" part was about the nurse having Stevie turn to the wall on the stretcher while they did a cavity check to make sure she didn't smuggle drugs in.
This is the money right here. Nailed it. 💯
Old 03-31-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
I used to think this too, but actually the demos of Joan of Arc date back to March 1986, months before she got into rehab, and they were among the demos she sent to the band while she was still touring for RAL.
Probably those lines are about what she knew about the rehab experience second-handedly?
However very probably the lines "And I don't even know why you left me
She saw it all, it was a tiresome ending
He stormed out, hearing the door slamming
Behind him
Ooh, she didn't even know why he left her"

are about Joe Walsh.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
whoo, what imagery! Dang that made me crack up! Thank you for that! Haha!
Old 03-31-2017, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
I hope we got another solo album! I am convinced her piracy/no one buys records excuse is code for there's not enough money to make her record with Lindsey right now, even if Christine is back haha. Disappointing but understandable. Maybe she'll change her mind next year. There's no way to know. I do know I want a new solo album.
I think she will do another solo album after next year's FM tour...

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 04-01-2017, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Rather than another album which only her loyal fans will buy, or another bloated dinosaur FM tour, why not put out that book she's be threatening us with since the late 70s? It doesn't have to be a tell-all, but I think a large book about her songs along with her drawings and paintings and photography would be nice. Something for the coffee table. It's the kind of project that would be up her alley, and she wouldn't be compromising herself as she would if she were doing a reality show or something else she didn't believe in.

I just think the time for her to record and to sing live is past. It's her right to do it of course, and she makes buckets of money from touring. But it's sort of sad now. Kind of like how you see Jethro Tull or the Moody Blues tour the amphitheaters every summer and they're all white haired old men now, and so are the ticket holders.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just think the time for her to record and to sing live is past. It's her right to do it of course, and she makes buckets of money from touring. But it's sort of sad now. Kind of like how you see Jethro Tull or the Moody Blues tour the amphitheaters every summer and they're all white haired old men now, and so are the ticket holders.
Oh! Well knowing you feel like that, I am sure she'll get right on that!
Old 04-01-2017, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Or we could hear her croak GDW for the millionth time while reading from a TelePrompTer and doing hand jives because her legs won't propel her across the stage anymore. I guess that would be more satisfying to some. Suit yourselves, baybees. I just think she could be doing interesting projects and not calling attention to the fact that she's a relic now, albeit a legendary one with an impressive history.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:06 PM
priestofnothing
This message has been deleted by priestofnothing. Reason: .
Old 04-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gosh, I love the ignore feature here!
Old 04-05-2017, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Wow! Great news about "Joan of arc"! We can now add that to the list of "potential" songs for her next vault album! That makes me so happy!
I'm still bummed she cut it from TITN bonus. It's magnificent in that demo form. Yet! it certainly belongs on 24K Gold Part 2.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.