User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Wasn't the "time of free downloading" 17-18 years ago? Most people are listening via streaming apps like Spotify.

While streaming is certainly popular these days, there are still many sites/torrents/programs that allow you to download for free which have millions of users. Are there any major popular free downloading programs like the old Napster? No but there still are a handful which boasts many, many users. As long as MP3's and the like can be obtained for free we are still in the age of digitial free downloading IMO.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldn't say this is a binary situation. It didn't have to be a smash hit, or a total failure - there's a middle ground. It debuted in the top 10. That means for her age, she's still in the "relevant" category. Other artists from her cohort are lucky if the chart in the top 100, if at all.

But more importantly, if she treats it as a project, including the album, Lady and lyric videos, gallery showing, shawl contest, and tour - then the 24k Project was an enormous success, and an amazing 3-year achievement that she was able to pull off while including a Mac tour. It's especially impressive for someone who's been around as long as she has.

And I'd agree, free downloading of music, as a sales problem has been over for at least a decade. Stevie's right that people don't buy records as much, but it's not because they're stealing it - it's because they can listen to unlimited albums legally on Spotify or Google Play or Tidal for $10-20/month. Why would I buy 20 albums for like $200 when I can listen to all of them as much as I want for $10? Having said that, I buy albums to support the artist. I bought 24k,on CD and vinyl, for example.

I hope none of this inhibited her from making a new album (or playlist, if we'd like to modernize). I hope we get news on that soon.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
I wouldn't say this is a binary situation. It didn't have to be a smash hit, or a total failure - there's a middle ground. It debuted in the top 10. That means for her age, she's still in the "relevant" category. Other artists from her cohort are lucky if the chart in the top 100, if at all.

But more importantly, if she treats it as a project, including the album, Lady and lyric videos, gallery showing, shawl contest, and tour - then the 24k Project was an enormous success, and an amazing 3-year achievement that she was able to pull off while including a Mac tour. It's especially impressive for someone who's been around as long as she has.

And I'd agree, free downloading of music, as a sales problem has been over for at least a decade. Stevie's right that people don't buy records as much, but it's not because they're stealing it - it's because they can listen to unlimited albums legally on Spotify or Google Play or Tidal for $10-20/month. Why would I buy 20 albums for like $200 when I can listen to all of them as much as I want for $10? Having said that, I buy albums to support the artist. I bought 24k,on CD and vinyl, for example.

I hope none of this inhibited her from making a new album (or playlist, if we'd like to modernize). I hope we get news on that soon.
The bottom line is it was the best album she has made since The Wild Heart and it was a true Stevie album.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, so I'm here to help.

The album also sold 1,006 copies on vinyl before the official release.

The albums' US chart run with sales is as follows:

Week 1: #7 - 32,622.
Week 2: #30 - 9,618. (43,246)
Week 3: #53 - 5,946. (49,192)
Week 4: #106 - 3,902. (53,094)
Week 5: #83 - 5,187. (58,281)
Week 6: #151 - 3,135. (61,416)

Although the album exited the Billboard 200 after 6 weeks, which isn't bad, it remained on the Top Rock Albums chart for a further 6 weeks at least. Therefore I estimate that it sold around 80K when it left all charts and has now sold in the region of 100-150K. It's really hard to estimate but I think the tour ensured the album still sold relatively well so I would guess around 120K in the US by now.

I will answer the thread question. The album was NOT a flop. For a solo artist over 60 to debut in the Top 10 and sell this amount means that they are still incredibly popular and not just with the older generation. I could list hundreds of successful acts from the 60s/70s and 80s who can't sell a fraction of that these days but Stevie can still do it. Hope this answers the question!

Last edited by James89; 08-06-2017 at 09:08 AM..
Old 08-06-2017, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoursAndHours View Post
She pulled Joan of Arc from the Tango reissue because she said she still wanted to record it, so evidently she hasn't given up on the idea.

Back in the early days of recording (1920s), musical acts made most of their money from performing and touring. Records were basically a marketing tool to sell people on going to the concerts. It wasn't until the rock era that they made gobs of money from record sales. I wonder if the business is circling back to that model, or something like it. I know that's probably not comforting to rock musicians of Stevie's generation. They're used to the business being one way and it has radically changed over the last 20 years.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At this point in their careers, I don't know why they even worry about sales. Been there done that. They should make new music for themselves and their fan base.

I don't even think the Rolling Stones would get airplay with new music.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 08-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It was a fantastic album, all Stevie wall to wall, great mix of songs. The tour was also fantastic. I wish FM would just devolve and let her do more of this. Another world FM tour will take two precious years away from her solo work, as she turns 70.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
Didn't they get all kinds of airplay and positive response to Blue and Lonesome last year? It's a great record.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
At this point in their careers, I don't know why they even worry about sales. Been there done that. They should make new music for themselves and their fan base.

Mick has a new single out..."England lost" not heard on the airwaves at all..
But as this single is about the dreaded BREXIT, it's hardly surprising
Old 08-06-2017, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Perspective, perspective, perspective.
A few weeks ago on Stern, they were having a discussion about music sales. J-Z's lastest album that was released about a month or so ago was instantly platinum selling just over a million downloads or CD's during the first week of release. The comments were that it was a LONG time since a music release/album did this in the first week. This used to be fairly common but extremely rare these days. For any album to sell a million copies is a huge success in today's music world. Rewind time to the 1990's. I think Janet Jackson's albums during the early 90's would go Diamond, selling well over 10 million worldwide. When her career fizzled about 10 years ago, she had an album release that sold about 2 million copies. It was considered a HUGE flop. To think that a double platinum album to be considered a flop. To sell 2 million today would be a HUGE success and Jay-Z territory.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And remember.....24K was her last album for the label (at the time....I think she has since resigned), so there was no reason for the label to really work it.
Taking that into consideration, it did just fine!
Old 08-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Perspective, perspective, perspective.
A few weeks ago on Stern, they were having a discussion about music sales. J-Z's lastest album that was released about a month or so ago was instantly platinum selling just over a million downloads or CD's during the first week of release. The comments were that it was a LONG time since a music release/album did this in the first week. This used to be fairly common but extremely rare these days. For any album to sell a million copies is a huge success in today's music world. Rewind time to the 1990's. I think Janet Jackson's albums during the early 90's would go Diamond, selling well over 10 million worldwide. When her career fizzled about 10 years ago, she had an album release that sold about 2 million copies. It was considered a HUGE flop. To think that a double platinum album to be considered a flop. To sell 2 million today would be a HUGE success and Jay-Z territory.
Wait a minute here!!!! Jay Z sold a million copies the first week because Sprint bought the copies and made the album Free to its customers. It did not go Platinum by customers paying for the album. Total shenanigans. It was platinum before it was available.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
And remember.....24K was her last album for the label (at the time....I think she has since resigned), so there was no reason for the label to really work it.
Taking that into consideration, it did just fine!
I hadn't realized she's already resigned - any source for this? If so, this makes me very happy.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Wait a minute here!!!! Jay Z sold a million copies the first week because Sprint bought the copies and made the album Free to its customers. It did not go Platinum by customers paying for the album. Total shenanigans. It was platinum before it was available.
Regardless...my point remains the same. It shows how hard it is to sell music today and get something platinum.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, that whole 'Jay Z album going platinum' thing is a joke. Nobody bought the album for it to achieve that. I think that's so unfair.