User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Unpopular Lindsey opinions/theories

Probably a bad thread for the middle of a tour, but I figure that forum activity is a good thing.
Following on from the similar threads for Stevie and Christine, here is one for Lindsey. (The Stevie thread yielded fascinating theories about the provenance of I Don't Want To Know, so who knows what insights we might end up getting.)
Old 11-08-2018, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Opinion:
The album covers for Gift Of Screws and Seeds We Sow are absolutely dreadful. I figure that he was deliberately aiming for a more indie sensibility, but really? That awful red font on a pale gray background...
Thankfully a different approach was taken for the Anthology!
The covers for Under The Skin and Out Of The Cradle are superb.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Opinion:
The album covers for Gift Of Screws and Seeds We Sow are absolutely dreadful. I figure that he was deliberately aiming for a more indie sensibility, but really? That awful red font on a pale gray background...
The Seeds We Sow cover doesn't bother me, but I definitely agree with you on the Gift of Screws picture. He looks like a homeless person or something! He has a devilish smile on the Out of the Cradle cover.

Last edited by Feather Blade; 11-08-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Old 11-08-2018, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
The Seeds We Sow cover doesn't bother me, but I definitely agree with you on the Gift of Screws picture. He looks like a homeless person or something! He has a devilish smile on the Out of the Cradle cover.
I was a senior in high school when GOS came out, would listen to it a lot when I was an aide to my favorite teacher during her planning period.. she asked me if he took the cover photo while he was on the toilet
Old 11-08-2018, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always been put off by the way Lindsey has commented of how it took two guitarists to "replace" him after he left Fleetwood Mac. I understand there being acrimony regardless of who came in after him but it always felt like an unnecessary shot at Billy and Rick who've always been humble and complimentary about Lindsey and their time in the band performing his songs. Of course neither of them are the production wizard Lindsey is and Billy isn't a virtuoso on guitar. However Rick is an amazing guitarist in his own right and does things that Lindsey either hasn't, can't or doesn't do. In fact, I don't recall Lindsey ever playing slide guitar.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I've always been put off by the way Lindsey has commented of how it took two guitarists to "replace" him after he left Fleetwood Mac. I understand there being acrimony regardless of who came in after him but it always felt like an unnecessary shot at Billy and Rick who've always been humble and complimentary about Lindsey and their time in the band performing his songs. Of course neither of them are the production wizard Lindsey is and Billy isn't a virtuoso on guitar. However Rick is an amazing guitarist in his own right and does things that Lindsey either hasn't, can't or doesn't do.
I always thought that was tacky. I mean, how many musicians did it take for him to replace Fleetwood Mac in 1993?

Quote:
In fact, I don't recall Lindsey ever playing slide guitar.
He played slide on the studio version of “Monday Morning.”

ETA: He also did it live early on

https://youtu.be/bj5eG19fjg0
https://youtu.be/P-_Q-in1H3g

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 11-08-2018 at 01:20 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Opinion:
On the Gift of Srews cover he looks like a convicted criminal. Maybe that's the look he was aiming for... I don't know. It wasn't a good look though. The typography is so-so. With a different image it might be good.
The Out of the Cradle cover was brilliant for an all round brilliant album.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 11-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default this is interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
You got me thinking—for the first time ever!

I bet you're right. I bet this is either Lindsey's song OR it's something they grabbed from the Curtis brothers or somebody similar. Look at the words again. These aren't Stevie's words, they're a guy's words. There's nothing about this on the In Her Own Words site. Has she ever talked about this song from a songwriter's perspective?

Stevie Nicks (and many other women songwriters) would never write, "Now you tell me that I'm crazy/It's nothin' that I didn't know" [that's a man's sense of humor] or "I just want you to feel fine" or "Love keeps right on walking on down the line." That's Lindsey (or another guy). Stevie has never talked about relationships in this manner. The tone and the diction are not hers at all.

Let me check my Rumours Deluxe. There's on cut on here of Lindsey playing electric guitar and singing solo backed by the rhythm section. It fits him like a glove. It's his! It's gotta be his. Since when does he record an entire Nicks song and sing it all the way through as a reference vocal—especially with this much conviction, shouting directions the way he and McVie do on their own songs, indicating verse, chorus, bridge, and so on? THIS IS HIS SONG, PEOPLE! NurseJackson is brilliant on this point. Reconsider this one, RodeoJoe.
IDWK is among 4 or 5 Stevie FM songs that i love. if this theory is correct, it would make much more sense why i love this one.

i've heard this song listed among 500 best classic songs of all times, it would be funny if it's Lindsey's - or more probable, a LB/SN co-write - but he doesn't get credited.

then again, my working theory is that many songs credited solely to SN as written somewhere in between 1972 and 1977 are actually LB co-writes and he never bothered to ask for a credit.

like DownOnRodeo says, that might be interesting question to ask Lindsey at m&gs and see what he says.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Opinion:
heh that's not unpopular opinion at all, most LB fans agree.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I've always been put off by the way Lindsey has commented of how it took two guitarists to "replace" him after he left Fleetwood Mac. I understand there being acrimony regardless of who came in after him but it always felt like an unnecessary shot at Billy and Rick who've always been humble and complimentary about Lindsey and their time in the band performing his songs. Of course neither of them are the production wizard Lindsey is and Billy isn't a virtuoso on guitar. However Rick is an amazing guitarist in his own right and does things that Lindsey either hasn't, can't or doesn't do. In fact, I don't recall Lindsey ever playing slide guitar.
i don't think i've heard that comment from him. most others and articles are the ones that say that over and over, but not sure he says that, except when he's specifically ask something like "what do you think, you must be flattered that it took 2 guitarists" etc etc.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
On the Gift of Srews cover he looks like a convicted criminal. Maybe that's the look he was aiming for... I don't know. It wasn't a good look though. The typography is so-so. With a different image it might be good.
The Out of the Cradle cover was brilliant for an all round brilliant album.
another very popular opinion. complete agreement from me.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i don't think i've heard that comment from him. most others and articles are the ones that say that over and over, but not sure he says that, except when he's specifically ask something like "what do you think, you must be flattered that it took 2 guitarists" etc etc.
no, he's said it. if i were motivated i'd look up the interviews for you, but I'm too busy arranging fake infomercials for LB to do it right now.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The LP version of “I know I’m not Wrong” is far superior to the remastered version.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I prefer Lindsey's music when he's not doing all the production tricks. He loves that so much, and he takes so much pride in it, that I almost feel guilty saying that... and I also know it's not very "avant garde" of me... but give me Lindsey on a guitar singing naturally over sped-up guitar effects-laden distorted voice Lindsey any day.

Last edited by sodascouts; 11-08-2018 at 09:21 PM..
Old 11-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I prefer Lindsey's music when he's not doing all the production tricks. He loves that so much, and he takes so much pride in it, that I almost feel guilty saying that... and I also know it's not very "avant garde" of me... but give me Lindsey on a guitar singing naturally over sped-up guitar effects-laden distorted voice Lindsey any day.

At least, he should never, ever, ever upon ever, be allowed to touch the "pan audio" control again. Lol.