Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Last Peter Green"s Fleetwood Mac Album

Here is a new twist which was brought up so well as a result of one of these latest "popularity Polls"

What if the next Fleetwood Mac Album to be released while Peter was still in the band after may of 1970 was not Live At The Boston Tea Party" (which now has very strtange conotations) as was in the works, but "Like It This Way" or some similar name.

We know that Peter and Danny had enough material to put out a studio album if not like the errata album "Pius Bird Of Good Omen"

What do you think the Album's song listing would look like?

doodyhead, melandvinnie
Old 11-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default for example

ChiliD gave us a start with the following songs:

Sandy Mary
Green Manalishi
World In Harmony
Only You

I would add
Like It This Way
All Over Again
Jumping At Shadows
Stranger Blues

I know some of these are covers but they are covers by friends of the Band. Duster Bennett, BB King and would likely take the royalty hit.. The Brownie McGee song is an exception but I had to add Jeremy with something other than Milton Schlitz

Any others?...possibly "It Takes Time" ? Dragonfly was a Peter favorite from Danny. I do not know exactly when that was written. I love "Ride with Your Daddy" that Peter did with Brunning Sunflower
Old 11-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Although he was developing at incredible speed, I got the impression Peter was looking back too. They did a more "modern" remake of "Drifting" as "Fast Talking Woman Bues". And Peter did a fantastic live version of "Leaving Town Blues" (on "Show Biz Blues").

October Jam?
Madge Sessions #2 ?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

can't wait to see chili's track list.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Did I read somewhere that this album was pencilled in as being called "Sandy Mary"?

I had the feeling that the Madge sessions and particularly the October Jam stuff might have been in preparation for the rumoured "duelling guitars" project Peter and Danny were going to do.

"Green Manalishi" and "World in Harmony" might not have been on the next album, since it seemed to be their tradition not to put A- and B-sides of singles on the studio albums.

Danny had started to write "Earl Gray" while Peter was still in the band, so maybe that might have become part of a new album. "Dragonfly" was written after Peter left. "Loving Kind" might have been a bet for any upcoming album.

Jeremy was doing "Tiger" at gigs, so maybe they'd have recorded that one. Likewise "Hi Ho Silver" / "Honey Hush".

Last edited by bretonbanquet; 11-11-2010 at 07:24 PM..
Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not sure the band had a lot of unreleased studio tracks ready to go at that time, as was the case with Pious Bird. I think that Vaudeville Years and Show-Biz Blues collect most of the studio out-takes from that period, and many of those tracks are ones that showed up on Then Play On.

But from BBC recordings the band had done over the past year or so, and numbers from their live shows, they would have had plenty to record had they wanted to. And I'd guess that some of the tracks that went onto Kiln House could have made their way onto the studio album you're envisioning, Vinnie.

I'd agree that they would not have included "Green Manalishi" or "World In Harmony" on a new album since they'd already been released as a single.

Danny had the most ready-to-go numbers that had not yet been recorded outside of BBC sessions - "Talk With You", "Only You", "Loving Kind", "Like It This Way", and "Something Inside Of Me" being obvious choices to me. And as noted, he'd already been working out what was to become "Earl Grey".

Jeremy was doing "I Can't Hold Out", "Stranger Blues", and "Tiger" at many of the shows that spring, and he'd done "Honey Hush" for a BBC session. Those would all be possibilities.

Peter didn't have much new original material that we know of at that point, aside from "Sandy Mary". But there were plenty of other numbers he excelled at on live recordings that might have been included - "Jumping At Shadows", "All Over Again", "Homework", and maybe "It Takes Time" being good options. Plus - remember that The Original Fleetwood Mac had not been released at that point, and Peter could easily have updated some of those numbers (as he'd already done with "Drifting" and "Leaving Town Blues" as noted above) - "A Fool No More", "Watch Out", and "Worried Dream" might have been other good tracks that could have been re-recorded for a new album.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
Did I read somewhere that this album was pencilled in as being called "Sandy Mary"?
Yes, Jeff Martin Clemins (am I getting the name right?) mentioned this in his liner notes to The Vaudeville Years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet View Post
eremy was doing "Tiger" at gigs, so maybe they'd have recorded that one. Likewise "Hi Ho Silver" / "Honey Hush"
And let's not forget how friggin' hot Honey Hush is on the Fleetwood Mac BBC sessions cd. That riff is so powerful on the piano.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Danny had the most ready-to-go numbers that had not yet been recorded outside of BBC sessions - "Talk With You", "Only You", "Loving Kind", "Like It This Way", and "Something Inside Of Me" being obvious choices to me. And as noted, he'd already been working out what was to become "Earl Grey".

Jeremy was doing "I Can't Hold Out", "Stranger Blues", and "Tiger" at many of the shows that spring, and he'd done "Honey Hush" for a BBC session. Those would all be possibilities.

Peter didn't have much new original material that we know of at that point, aside from "Sandy Mary". But there were plenty of other numbers he excelled at on live recordings that might have been included - "Jumping At Shadows", "All Over Again", "Homework", and maybe "It Takes Time" being good options. Plus - remember that The Original Fleetwood Mac had not been released at that point, and Peter could easily have updated some of those numbers (as he'd already done with "Drifting" and "Leaving Town Blues" as noted above) - "A Fool No More", "Watch Out", and "Worried Dream" might have been other good tracks that could have been re-recorded for a new album.
@Sharksfan. You mentioned a couple of unrecorded material that had been recorded in the Chess studio (Talk With You, Like It This Way, I Can't Hold Out). If you'd like to see these on a "to come" album, then you missed a lot of others:
Watch Out (slower version than on The Original FM)
Ooh Baby
South Indiana (quoted as a Peter Green instrumental)
Last Night
I´m Worried
I Held My Baby Last Night
Madison Blues
World´s In A Tangle
Everyday I Have The Blues
Rockin' Boogie
Sugar Mama

Not all written by FM members, but neither did they write among others Homework, I Can't Hold Out, Jumping At Shadows.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 40 minutes or so for a single studio disc release

During that same year or around then ( I am sure someone will correct me) there is
Electric Ladyland( studio live and layered), Living the Blues by Canned Heat(studio and live stuff) Allman Brothers Idewild South.Live at the Fillmore East did not come out till late 70 71 LIve Dead and Workingmans Dead. Santana'a Abraxas had not come out till the fall of 70. My feeling is they were going to put out two different products, Live and in studio.
My thinking is that they would put out a single studio album somewhat like Workinmans Dead
which Kiln House is not far off from. However if Peter was in the band it would have a different character.

so 40 minutes track time for "Sandy Mary" So Whats in it?
Old 11-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

I would have loved to have heard the Fleetwood Mac version of Green's solo instrumental single - Heavy Heart. Lot of percussion, bass and guitar. Haunting. Beautiful. The Mac would've made a great version of that for sure,
Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Simon View Post
I would have loved to have heard the Fleetwood Mac version of Green's solo instrumental single - Heavy Heart. Lot of percussion, bass and guitar. Haunting. Beautiful. The Mac would've made a great version of that for sure,

Yeah, but that's kind of the reason Greeny left the the band. They didn't want to do that kind of music. Which we have seen.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The live album was the next release for FM, with an ambitious four month US tour for FM during the summer of 1970, and Peter Green wanted out. It would've been illogical with Peter Green in the band to do another studio album after they recorded some of the best live rock music of all time.

Peter Green's timing was six-nine months off. He could've left FM in early '71 with a legacy for the general music fan. Instead only the people who care about British blues music know of his genius. If Peter Green didn't leave 5/70, the history of FM would've turned on it's head. Jeremy Spencer would've left FM while living at home, instead of freaking out in Los Angeles. Danny Kirwan needed a big brother to run the band, and Green abandoned him. That would've been very interesting, because Green, and Kirwan could write songs together.

Last edited by slipkid; 11-18-2010 at 02:10 AM..