Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default This then as opposed to now tripe

I thought about creating this thread in the Stevie section, but then thought it applied also to FM and LB. So, here it is:

The critics have made much of FM somewhat stagnant performace on this tour. Granted much has been leveled at Stevie's so called lethargic (their opinion not mine) performace, but LB has taken some of this as well. So, I began to think (YIPES!! - I always cause trouble when I think ).

I think most would agree the Mirage tour was the last time FM toured "in its so called prime" or at least in their "youth" and Stevie last toured in her "youth," prime, or whatever during, at the latest, the RAL tour. What this says to me is SN and LB in FM, SN solo, and LB solo (albeit SN more than LB in all cases), have now been touring past these so called "old days" for longer than the so called good old days lasted and have for the most part produced solid new material for each tour. So, my point is - why do people keep looking back to the so called "good old days" when they obviously solo and with FM have, to paraphrase Stevie, "gone far beyond [those days]."

I guess once you create an image it just sticks.

I

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-16-2003, 09:19 AM
Junior Ledgie

Ah yes, "the good old days," or "back in the day," when everyone was drinking and partying their asses off, and Mick and Stevie were coked out of their heads. Do any of these critics ever stop to think that cocaine fuels a "wild" performance? I doubt it. Sure, it's great to think back and wax nostalgic, but think about it. I'd rather see Stevie and John (and even Mick!) alive and well and jamming than have them...not be alive at all.

I wish critics would just give the band a break---and see if they could get out there and flip cartwheels and stuff at 55, with a bad foot and a bad hip. And what is to complain about Lindsey? Because he wails away on his axe like he's still 27? What exactly is wrong with that, really? Nobody complains about Phish or "The Dead" who will stand there and drag on for 15 minutes in guitar solos, right?

This is about MUSIC which still comes off PHENOMENALLY at any given Mac concert. Sorry that the band has aged gracefully than rather embarassingly (KISS, as much as you rock...).

Good thread, strand.
"We may be making, maybe in some ways making the best music of our lives, but what's under that is the tenderness--and the care that still exists and somehow managed to survive through all of those times, and through all the twists and turns that we have taken."--Lindsey Buckingham
Old 06-16-2003, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Well....

I was born the year the white album (Fleetwood Mac) came out so I have never seen The Mac revel in their wilder, crazier performances. I'm kind of thankful for that though, when I see them in July (my first time, mind you) I won't be comparing them with anything, I'll just get to enjoy the show. Plus, the absence of drugs and alcohol means that they're probably playing better than they ever have, and from what I've heard, Stevie sounds fabulous. I think the critics are too harsh on F.M. not letting them reinvent themselves in any way. But these are the same people that would be content to hear "Don't Stop" over and over until the apocalypse, how limiting!!
Old 06-16-2003, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know, you never hear themcomplain because Annie Lenox no longer has red hair or that Madonna does not wear a wedding dress and writhe on stage (thank goodness ). Yet, I re read my reviews of the concerts I have been to and I too do it just a little bit. So . . . .

Old 06-16-2003, 09:44 AM
Junior Ledgie

CliffDweller....I'm the same age as you, and I know what you mean about comparisons. All I have to go on is videos and whatnot, and the Fleetwood Mac I saw before May was the Mac of '94, you do the math.

I personally think they're timeless, along with the music.

And strand...I so agree! But if "Don't Stop" played over and over until the apocalypse....BAH I think that would BE the apocalypse and I'd have to end it all right then and there.

Though, I'm thinking---wouldn't it be HILARIOUS if a critic actually came out and said "You know, I miss Lindsey's eye makeup and Stevie's Aqua Net head."

*dies*
"We may be making, maybe in some ways making the best music of our lives, but what's under that is the tenderness--and the care that still exists and somehow managed to survive through all of those times, and through all the twists and turns that we have taken."--Lindsey Buckingham
Old 06-16-2003, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sally
CliffDweller....I'm the same age as you, and I know what you mean about comparisons. All I have to go on is videos and whatnot, and the Fleetwood Mac I saw before May was the Mac of '94, you do the math.

And strand...I so agree! But if "Don't Stop" played over and over until the apocalypse....BAH I think that would BE the apocalypse and I'd have to end it all right then and there.

Though, I'm thinking---wouldn't it be HILARIOUS if a critic actually came out and said "You know, I miss Lindsey's eye makeup and Stevie's Aqua Net head."

*dies*
Hilarious! But I don't think anyone misses that (creepy) eyeliner!! Stevie's wigged out hair maybe...
Old 06-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, if they do away with the three term Presidential limit and ole Billy boy runs again - you never know - we may just hear Don't Stop at least one more time. Hell CM, may even come in for that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The critics can all shut their scum suckers.

I saw them live, and they kicked ass.

Sarah
Old 06-16-2003, 03:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Well, if they do away with the three term Presidential limit and ole Billy boy runs again - you never know - we may just hear Don't Stop at least one more time. Hell CM, may even come in for that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh I don't think so, strand. I just saw a supermarket tabloid headline "Prince William throws Camilla out of palace now that he's 21!"

So sounds like there's much more drama going on over THERE than there is here!

So Chris could stay in England. Maybe Prince William will ask her to write a song to Camilla? Like....

Please stop coming to the Palace
Please stop, I don't want you here....

susieq
Old 06-16-2003, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by WindingRoad

Please stop coming to the Palace
Please stop, I don't want you here....

susieq

Old 06-16-2003, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Well, if they do away with the three term Presidential limit and
Time to take a "Political Science" refresher course...Presidents can only hold office for TWO terms and a max of 10 years if they succeed a vacated Presidential seat.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Time to take a "Political Science" refresher course...Presidents can only hold office for TWO terms and a max of 10 years if they succeed a vacated Presidential seat.
I know

I was referring tongue in cheek to Bill Clinton's statements last month that the two term limit should be abolished because Presidents are younger and tend to live longer these days. Many took that to mean he would like the Constitution's 22nd Amendment eradicated so he could run again.

Old 06-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Oh. Didn't catch the sarcasm. Sorry.

Old 06-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

*dies*
Sally,
I couldn't agree with you more on all of your comments! I was also born in 75, and I've seen all the old footage (on video only obviously) & it's awesome BUT - HELLO?!? There's no way they could (or should) be like that again! Does anyone really want them all messed up again? A friend told me that the only thing they remember about the Rumours Tour show that they saw was how someone had to hold Stevie up because she was so trashed - not the memory I'd want.
Admit it - every time Stevie runs backstage to "change clothes" on the Mirage video, you think "oh, she just went to do a line, I'll bet." And let's all remember the later 80's early 90's albums where the creative juices were drying up from all the substance abuse. Sure, I like the albums because I'm a fan, but they're so inferior to their earlier material that was made before everything got out of control.
I think SYW is such a great album & I don't think it would've been possible to do if they were all like they were "in the good ol' days." Paula
Old 06-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know I was thinking I wonder if they really ever got fu*ked up beyond words on stage in the "good ole days?" I mean I have seen people so messed up on drugs and even alcohol to the point they are incoherent and certainly cannot function. A good example of a rock star doing this would be when Grace Slick tripped too hard on something in Germany during a concert and sat down at the end of the stage and bitched out the audience by screaming slurs at them. The only story I ever heard about the Mac was the LB kicking SN story in MF's book, which has been slightly validated by LB saying he may have sang out of key one night. I also saw Stevie in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in 1986 for the RAL tour and she was pretty high, but she was not out of control.