Old 01-30-2023, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Sounds like somebody sent Lori back to the Uhaul unit for more demo tapes
This literally made me lol.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie: what's wrong with my vocal! the tape is 30 years old and must not be playing correctly anymore

Lori: It was 1985...

Stevie: What's your point?

Lori: It's the nose candy, dear.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That demo has never been a favorite. Yikes.

Then again, at least it wasn't "One More Big Time Rock and Roll Star." "Undercover music lover!!!!"
Old 02-02-2023, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can’t believe in my 25 plus years of fandom I’ve never listened to that demo.

Now that I have, really haven’t been missing much. The music at the beginning reminds me exactly of something exquisite. But this song is nowhere near as good as something exquisite at least in demo form.

That being said, I feel this was the perfect song choice. I’m really excited to hear how this turns out. I feel like with drastically different production and For what it’s worth/show them the way level vocals and not Stolen Car Vocals this could be amazing.

It also seems like a perfect fit for this particular guest appearance. I feel like they will trade off the lines of rock n roll roll for you you/me/us. And I imagine Stevie will sing the lines, it’s been good to me.

I’m also thrilled stevie is one of the few guests doing an original instead of a cover.

He Will Burn You Down

Last edited by Hawkeye; 02-02-2023 at 04:25 PM..
Old 02-02-2023, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^^^Yes, that is exactly right.

It's a song that I have barely listened to because there's really no need, and yet somehow its the absolute perfect choice for this duet. The song finally found its reason for existing.

And I bet you right about them trading off saying "me" vs. "you".

I'm excited to hear it!
Old 02-03-2023, 06:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
The collaboration is Stevie's 80's song "What has Rock'n Roll Ever Done for You?"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...s/11112723002/
I am maybe in the minority but I always liked the demo but maybe for the wrong reasons. Its so freaking 80s but not with the 80s synths or anything like that. Its the lyrics and how Stevie sings the song. It's probably Stevie's most arrogant song. She wrote and sung it at her peak mid 80s coke addiction. That cheezy cat call whistle in the beginning is so bad its good if you know what I mean. I would have loved to have seen Lindsey's face when it was submitted as a song on Tango. Its arrogant, self absorbing, almost bragging about wealth and fame. Something French........CHAMPAGNE !!!!!!!
You cant get a song that sums up Stevie's life in the mid 80s more than this song. The real line should have been .......Something Colombian........COCAINE!
She must have written the song after 5 lines and performed it on the demo after 5 lines. The song starts with some cat calling whistle at her. Then she goes on to brag how rock has brought her so much material wealth. There is nothing that screams 80s more than that. Just the way that she sings the word "evverrything" tells it all!
I can visualize a video for the song on the set of Dynasty.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-03-2023 at 06:42 AM..
Old 02-03-2023, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lyrically the song is totally incoherent.

She may have had a clear idea in her head of what she wanted to say, but it didn't make it to the song.

Early songwriter Stevie, who carefully crafted her words (Dreams is impeccable, Landslide is excellent, Silver Springs, or her longer more "epic poem" songs like Storms, The Highwayman, Beauty and the Beast, and even some later stuff like Doing the Best That I Can) is nowhere to be found on this song. It's kinda sorta catchy (I'm going by the demo, haven't heard this new version) musically but...... it's from that era when she started demo'ing interesting IDEAS for songs but then never actually fleshing them out properly, thinking her rough ideas were sufficient. She came to believe any turd she dropped was classic without any need for polishing. I feel bad for Dolly who has always put work into crafting her songs for having to sing this stinker. Stevie is amazing for her lack of any ability to be embarrassed.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 02-03-2023 at 04:57 PM..
Old 02-03-2023, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I feel bad for Dolly who has always put work into crafting her songs for having to sing this stinker. Stevie is amazing for her lack of any ability to be embarrassed.
Yeah .. I was telling an old friend of mine, another huge fan of Stevie's back in the day that once upon a time Stevie might have been ashamed to show up at Dolly's door with such a dud. There is absolutely no shame in her game now though ..or humility.

Old 02-06-2023, 09:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Could you tell me just a little more
About your profession?

I’d never read these lyrics before. Oh Stevie, save it for LinkedIn.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafield View Post
Could you tell me just a little more
About your profession?

I’d never read these lyrics before. Oh Stevie, save it for LinkedIn.
Answer the question!
Old 02-08-2023, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Lyrically the song is totally incoherent.

She may have had a clear idea in her head of what she wanted to say, but it didn't make it to the song.

Early songwriter Stevie, who carefully crafted her words (Dreams is impeccable, Landslide is excellent, Silver Springs, or her longer more "epic poem" songs like Storms, The Highwayman, Beauty and the Beast, and even some later stuff like Doing the Best That I Can) is nowhere to be found on this song. It's kinda sorta catchy (I'm going by the demo, haven't heard this new version) musically but...... it's from that era when she started demo'ing interesting IDEAS for songs but then never actually fleshing them out properly, thinking her rough ideas were sufficient. She came to believe any turd she dropped was classic without any need for polishing. I feel bad for Dolly who has always put work into crafting her songs for having to sing this stinker. Stevie is amazing for her lack of any ability to be embarrassed.
Ya gotta love her, it's either great or incoherent. No middle ground...well maybe that's Silver Girl

I'm sure there will be very little re-writing and it will be pretty close to the demo. She's doubled down on her stance that her demos are as good as it gets. Which is...delusional.

It's insane to think she witnessed Lindsey and the band turn a lot of her songs into signature classics, yet she's ok with Waddy's hacky version of Gypsy and convinced that her demos are better than anything a seasoned professional could bring to the table. The session players in Nashville that did 24k Gold must have been so bored. They literally recreated demo tracks that were 30 years old that were nothing to write home about it in the first place. Easy paycheck for them, but couldn't have been a particularly fun or rewarding session to be part of.

Last edited by BigAl84; 02-08-2023 at 09:40 AM..