User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBanks147
He has said that his gibson was giving him problems with fingerpicking and that he wasn't going to give up and use a pick because playing with his fingers is his style.
I think it was more a case of the sound of the Les Paul wasn't defined enough to cut through the drums and bass as much as he needed. Les Paul's are great lead guitars but are very muddy sounding as rhythm instruments. Combine this with a fingerpicking style with multiple note strikes in a short amount of time and what you get is a sonic mess. Les Pauls are fine to fingerpick interms of hand position because you do get good clearance with the picking hand, unlike say a Strat.

Quote:
It's totally generic and predictable. There are THOUSANDS of guitarists that strum chords out. Lindsey's style is a rarety.
Well that is your opinion. I wouldn't say David Gilmour or Hendrix or Clapton was generic and predictable. I would say the thousands of players that have copied the style are the generic ones. As Sheryl Crow wrote "You're an original baby, turn around and you're lookin at a hundred more."
Old 03-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

None of you guys (sorry, Mari) mention Christopher Parkening, my favorite guitarist.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Listen harder to McCartney's technique...but then you're already got a "wall o' bias" cemented in your ear canals, so never mind.
I listen to the beatles regulary and I trully respect McCartney (not as a person, I got caught up in the whole McCartney jumps on Lennons grave thing) but as a musician I think he's great. Simply though he is NOT a good guitarist and LB is a LOT better. Off course If you could list a few songs for me to go away and listen to I will off course give him the benfit of the doubt.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
which probably was a big reality check (or slap upside the head) to him. (and especially when they got a BETTER guitarist)
Actually, I don't think he sees it that way. I've seen in several interviews that he was amused that they needed two guitarists to replace him. But, he did say (about the Time-period) that they were "dragging the name to the ground"..

Quote:
Off course If you could list a few songs for me to go away and listen to I will off course give him the benfit of the doubt.
One comes to mind. 'Yesterday'..

Last edited by The Nisse; 03-07-2006 at 12:11 PM..
Old 03-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Peter Green is more of a "playing through the blues sales" Guitarist than a "strummer".

I listen to many other guitarists than Lindsey but my technique is mostly influenced by him. It's far more intresting and unique to listen to than say, the hundred millin hendrix wannabes that shread all the time.
Peter Green was more rooted in the blues than most of the other "star" players of the time. Peter also had a great feeling. This is what differentiates players such as EC, Green and company from others, including Lindsey. If you have a feeling for the music then you can improvise without fail. Peter used to be the most classic example of this and today Clapton is. If you get thrown into a situation where you essentially need to jam then this separates the men from the boys. The Crossroads guitar festival from a couple of years back was a good example of this. You had Clapton, BB King, Buddy Guy and Jimmie Vaughan all bouncing notes of each other. Put a group of men like these guys together and they can improvise all night without dropping a bum note. If you think Lindsey can you need to take a closer look at his work. I think one of the most recent examples was Murrow from his Soundstage performance whn instead of coming up with a nice little solo he stuck half of "I'm So Afraid" in there instead...

It's good that you listen to other guitarists and that you have found, in Lindsey, someone you can identify with. But, If you look at Lindsey's own influences you will see they are many. You can't grow as a player if you are channelled. It's a bit like religion, if you only believe what one faith says then you can become somewhat blinkered.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nisse
Actually, I don't think he sees it that way. I've seen in several interviews that he was amused that they needed two guitarists to replace him. But, he did say (about the Time-period) that they were "dragging the name to the ground"..
Steve, do you want to give your legendary reply to this old chestnut or would you like me to do it?
Old 03-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I think it was more a case of the sound of the Les Paul wasn't defined enough to cut through the drums and bass as much as he needed. Les Paul's are great lead guitars but are very muddy sounding as rhythm instruments. Combine this with a fingerpicking style with multiple note strikes in a short amount of time and what you get is a sonic mess. Les Pauls are fine to fingerpick interms of hand position because you do get good clearance with the picking hand, unlike say a Strat.
To be fair I have NEVER played a Les Paul but I think your probably right. You mentioned about Lindsey being part of the rhythm section, This is another reason I love his technique. It's subtle yet great in some instances. Shows that great guitar playing doesn’t always have to be smack bang in your face.

I love my Strat, I think it’s a really comfortable instrument (including finger picking) The only problem, well not really a problem just a preference I have with it (and it doesn’t include my picking hand) I find the neck is a little too thin.

Quote:
Well that is your opinion. I wouldn't say David Gilmour or Hendrix or Clapton was generic and predictable. I would say the thousands of players that have copied the style are the generic ones. As Sheryl Crow wrote "You're an original baby, turn around and you're lookin at a hundred more."
No there not generic at all, I wasn't aiming anythign at them. I was simply saying LB is FAR more apealing to me than all these hendrix wannabes that are everwhere. (i'm actually a fan of Hendrix so don't get me wrong)

Considering Hendrix was still alive I think that Lindsey could have a better go at playing "all along the watchtower" than Jimi could have at "say goodbye" In this way I'd say LB is more versitile. Plus he has the upper hand on production, vocals and songwriting.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:04 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. I think he was more disapointed they would carry on without him than jellous. Lindsey has never been about the mass success (Tusk) he's more intrested in doing his own experimental thing.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Like he's one to talk.

And, again, they didn't NEED two guitarists to replace him...they just happened to GET two guitarists; mainly, to fill out the sound that was so painfully thin during Lindsey's...{ahem}...reign. I mean, look, he had to get his own roadie to play 2nd guitar it was so thin.

Let's see, Lindsey publicly disparages the then current lineup of Fleetwood Mac, but it was Fleetwood Mac themselves actually being a working, thriving band that was "dragging the name to the ground"??? ...what a pompous asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
Steve, do you want to give your legendary reply to this old chestnut or would you like me to do it?
Chime in, Justin...please

Last edited by chiliD; 03-07-2006 at 12:11 PM..
Old 03-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
None of you guys (sorry, Mari) mention Christopher Parkening, my favorite guitarist.
What about Leona Boyd? Wes Montgomery? Charlie Christian?
Old 03-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. I think he was more disapointed they would carry on without him than jellous. Lindsey has never been about the mass success (Tusk) he's more intrested in doing his own experimental thing.
Again, he should just go off into his little cave and play with himself...let Fleetwood Mac be Fleetwood Mac.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Again, he should just go off into his little cave and play with himself...let Fleetwood Mac be Fleetwood Mac.
Say you Will is better than anything that came out since he left the band. I always saw Rick Vito as just a cover guitarist to play Lindsey songs during the Tango tour (which I HATED.) In my opinion Rick should never have been in Fleetwood Mac.

Lindsey was truly the backbone to say you will so therefore staying in his cave would be a bad decision if you ask me.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Considering Hendrix was still alive I think that Lindsey could have a better go at playing "all along the watchtower" than Jimi could have at "say goodbye" In this way I'd say LB is more versitile. Plus he has the upper hand on production, vocals and songwriting.
Well, it's difficult to know really. Jimi did a pretty good version of All Along The Watchtower compared to Dylan.

Jimi was a guitarist first and foremost. With modern technology you find many artists performing a jack of all trades mentality with their work.

Going back to an earlier point I do think Jimi is overrated. Not in terms of what he did at the time which was pretty revolutionary, I would say in the same way Robert Johnson was considered revolutionary. But he suffers from the problem of being dead and dying when he was at the top of his game (as did Johnson) In my opinion Eric Clapton is the greatest guitarist of all time. I base this on the length of his career and the fact he has been at the forefront of guitar for five decades. Eric was the first big player to use a wah pedal, before Jimi. Eric pushed the boundaries in the sixties with Jimi, Eric partnered with Duane Allman (another genius who suffers from the "dead" issue), Eric came back in the eighties combining synth pop with guitar to great effect. He reinvented himself with his unplugged era in the early nineties and he still continues on, changing, adapting and playing.

Clapton does not get the respect he is due because he has the unfortunate problem of being alive and well and still producing music.

I do give Lindsey credit for not sticking to the same formula through the years but as I pointed out in another thread, you can't be as experimental as he has been and expect to be popular too.... Unless you are Eric Clapton.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Your "correction" is misguided. He's got a unique style, that's for sure; but "unique style" doesn't not equate to "best guitarist".
In my view it does. What's the point in playing like everyone else? To be truly great you've got to carve out your own style and sound, surely.

Quote:
He can't:
1) play blues authentically
Who gives a ****? He finds the blues boring, and frankly so do I. Jeff Beck can't play jazz as far as I'm concerned, but I still think he's one of the best rock players ever.

Quote:
2) improvise in a band situation

3)...oh, hell, there's just too many to mention...this bores me.
You're just stuck in a blues rut imo.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Say you Will is better than anything that came out since he left the band.
That's just opinion. Cool that you like the album.
Quote:
I always saw Rick Vito as just a cover guitarist to play Lindsey songs during the Tango tour (which I HATED.) In my opinion Rick should never have been in Fleetwood Mac.
Then you obviously know absolutely nothing about Rick Vito...and you obviously are more closed-minded than you admit to.

Quote:
Lindsey was truly the backbone to say you will so therefore staying in his cave would be a bad decision if you ask me.
Considering "Say You Will" was once again a Lindsey Buckingham solo album that he shared half of with Stevie and slapped the Fleetwood Mac label on it, then, yeah, its a big "duh" that he was the "backbone"...he was also the brain, the bowels & lymph glands of it, too. But, to call it a Fleetwood Mac album? ****, give me 100 more Time albums.