User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Stevie has said Lindsey produced SA. Take that for what it's worth. He wasn't credited, but he did what a producer does best. I love the song and think it sounds harsh because it's meant to sound that way. It's supposed to be jarring -- and I think that was what Lindsey intended and what Stevie wanted to bring across that she couldn't get anyone else to understand.
Ah, OK. A deliberately jarring aesthetic that risks creating something sonically unpleasant. I get it. Feel bad for skipping it all the time now.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
Ah, OK. A deliberately jarring aesthetic that risks creating something sonically unpleasant. I get it. Feel bad for skipping it all the time now.
You like what you like.... I think it sounds awesome. To each his own.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You like what you like.... I think it sounds awesome. To each his own.
Yeah, but I'm a bit taken aback my own conservatism. I just acted in a play with some disturbing themes and have banged on at length to people about why they shouldn't expect to only ever feel comfortable in a theatre seat.

I'm going to stop skipping Solder's Angel and see if it grows on me.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I am very taken by Gone Too Far too. Just the tone of his voice when he says "me" after holding the word "saaaaave". It has a bleating quality that enhances the plea in the lyrics. And the beat kind of sways, it's like Hawaii, palms and water moving rhythmically. Very simple -- or simple sounding.

Michele
Hey, this is a great description. I'll just add, I'm not much of a musician, but this one really calls part of IKINW to my mind (obviously a bit of You Do or You Don't too). Something about the background ahhs that hang around the "save me". And then the guitar fill at around 2:07 sounds Mirage-y, and I love Mirage to death (specifically, it sounds like a little part in WYWH near the end). If I'd have just heard a clip of GTF, I'd never have thought it'd end up being one of my favorites here. All these elements together really do it for me.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's supposed to be jarring -- and I think that was what Lindsey intended and what Stevie wanted to bring across that she couldn't get anyone else to understand.
Yes, I agree that it's intended to jar. When Stevie said ominous (or ominousity), after I heard the song I knew exactly what she meant. You're supposed to feel disquieted. I am so proud of the condemnation. The righteous condemnation.

The way they just say mmmmmm, in lieu of criticism, in lieu of words, is as eerie as it is effective.

Michele
Old 10-07-2011, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I am very taken by Gone Too Far too. Just the tone of his voice when he says "me" after holding the word "saaaaave". It has a bleating quality that enhances the plea in the lyrics. And the beat kind of sways, it's like Hawaii, palms and water moving rhythmically. Very simple -- or simple sounding.

Michele
GTF has emerged as a favorite of mine as well. Similarly, You Do or You Don't became a favorite after several months of listening to OOTC. I am not a musician, I just know that these songs make me feel good when I am listening to them.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
Yeah, but I'm a bit taken aback my own conservatism. I just acted in a play with some disturbing themes and have banged on at length to people about why they shouldn't expect to only ever feel comfortable in a theatre seat.

I'm going to stop skipping Solder's Angel and see if it grows on me.
I hope it does!

Quote:
Yes, I agree that it's intended to jar. When Stevie said ominous (or ominousity), after I heard the song I knew exactly what she meant. You're supposed to feel disquieted. I am so proud of the condemnation. The righteous condemnation.

The way they just say mmmmmm, in lieu of criticism, in lieu of words, is as eerie as it is effective.

Michele
I like the mmmmm part too Michele! Much more effective (with their voices) than when she does it live with the girls and changes it to "yeah".
Old 09-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

bump.

this was the official US date for LB's last studio album so far. 4 years ago. time for a new one!!

yes he released several live albums since, but we know he has so many overflow songs from FM album he and the guys, and then he and Christine have been working on, and then he told someone he was working on some additional new songs while on the road with the Mac... so he can probably easily release another solo studio album.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"