User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2002, 06:44 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Book Of Miracles

Two part question here:

1) Am I the only one that realized that "Juliet", the Stevie demo, is in fact Book Of Miracles with words?

2) Which version do you like better? Which should have been released (in whatever capacity whether a B-Side or album track)?

-Brian
Old 06-26-2002, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
1) Am I the only one that realized that "Juliet", the Stevie demo, is in fact Book Of Miracles with words?
No, but then, it took me a while to figure it out, too. In fact, someone had to mention it to me before I could hear it.

Quote:
2) Which version do you like better? Which should have been released (in whatever capacity whether a B-Side or album track)?
"Book Of Miracles" was released as the B-side to "Seven Wonders". At the time, I thought it ranked right up there with the rest of the Fleetwood Mac instrumentals...and finally a Lindsey Buckingham instrumental to keep the tradition going. I was actually kind of bummed when I found out it wasn't INTENDED as an instrumental. I thought it could've/should've been Tango's closer.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Wink I vote for option "C"...

Quote:
I actually like the demo that Fleetwood Mac recorded of the song "Juliet". (Or at least, the demo that I have that is credited to them. It could be an alternate version from Stevie's own sessions, but it's very Mac-ish. ) It's a much more rocking version of the song than appears on TOSOTM and probably would have been pretty cool live.

Mike B.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Book Of Miracles

Quote:
Originally posted by bjk3047
Am I the only one that realized that "Juliet", the Stevie demo, is in fact Book Of Miracles with words?
Stevie told a radio interviewer years ago that it was the same song.

The similarity isn't all that apparent to most people, probably. Essentially, it's the chord progression that is identical; the guitar riffs on "Juliet" are different, & the rollicking Hornsby piano helps hide the similarity, as well. Fleetwood Mac's "Juliet" is vastly different from the released "Juliet" that Rupert Hine concocted. It's a power-chorded riff throughout & some kick-ass rhythm courtesy of Fleetwood & McVie.

I prefer the Fleetwood Mac "Juliet" to either "Book of Miracles" (elevator music) or Mirror's "Juliet" (bad Rupert Hine mix). As for Stevie's demo for "Juliet," I haven't thought twice about it.
Old 06-26-2002, 08:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Let us not forget that Stevie actually sings the words "book of miracles" twice. I mean, it's pretty much impossible that the two weren't different incarnations of each other in the Tango sessions.
-Brian
Old 06-26-2002, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by bjk3047
Let us not forget that Stevie actually sings the words "book of miracles" twice. I mean, it's pretty much impossible that the two weren't different incarnations of each other in the Tango sessions.
Which of the versions is your favorite, Brian? You have a fantastic ear for the Mac's sound & style, so I'd be interested in hearing what you think.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Book of Miracles is so awesome!!

I LOVE the instrumental Book of Miracles, I DO NOT like Juliet. Sorry. I didn't notice the similarity until Brian pointed it out, because I'm just not good at that sort of thing. I heard BOM first and just recently heard Juliet for the first time.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Ok...

I figured that out when I heard "Book Of Miracles" in about 5 seconds...lol...

I actually like "Book Of Miracles" better than Stevie's version of "Juliet"...I also like the 'Mac outtake of "Juliet" though, Just "Book Of Miracles" sounds MUCH better!!!...Brian

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 06-27-2002, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I love the music for Book Of Miracles... but I love the lyrics for Juliet too. If they could have combined the two a little better, it would have rocked!

Laura.
Old 06-27-2002, 08:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David

Which of the versions is your favorite, Brian? You have a fantastic ear for the Mac's sound & style, so I'd be interested in hearing what you think.
Well thank you kindly, David, I think your patronage here is a real asset to the discussion as well. What do I think? I love the instrumental, but I can't help but wonder how good Stevie-Tango version would've been if she wasn't ALL over the place on the melody. It just sounded like she was in a whole "f*** it, I'm just gonna put this track down, f*** it all" kinda mood lol
Now that I listen more closely, I *think* it may actually be the same drum track. Hmm, I'm going to try to take Laura's advice and actually put them together. I'll post my results a little later in the evening.
-Brian
Old 06-28-2002, 12:29 AM
Senior Ledgie

Talking IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEE

I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!
Ah such minor accomplishments bring such joy. I joined the "Juliet" demo and the instrumental as one. Imagine how absolutely KICK-ASS this song would've been!! And if too many people download it and you get a silly red message from Geocities, just wait (I believe it's one hour) and it'll be ready to go again:
http://www.geocities.com/bri3047/REA...f_Miracles.mp3
So? Did I do well or what? Hehehehe...
-Brian
Old 06-28-2002, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Brian... that's awesome! :-D
How on Earth did you accomplish that!?

And it's pretty amazing how well those two tracks merge.

Thanks!

Johnny Stew
Old 06-28-2002, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default HELP!

I can't get it. It says the page in unavailable. I really want to hear this.
Old 06-28-2002, 08:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Try right clicking and then save target as.

Fab job Brian!

Pip
Old 06-28-2002, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am unable to hear it also. And I have an iMac, so can't right click. I will try back later because I *REALLY* can't wait to hear it!

I LOVE Book Of Miracles. And when OSOTM came out, I loved Juliet. But it did seem like it was lacking something. But it seemed to have a lot of potential. I hate to say, but I am not a big Rupert Hine fan. I would have loved to hear OSOTM produced by someone else. I also wonder about the songs he selected for it, and didn't select (I heard Stevie say in an interview she let him pick from her demos).

I only have one demo for Juliet and it seems like it must be one from OSOTM era. It sounds very similar to the album version. But I do like it a little better, and it again just made me feel it had so much potential (just like the song That Made Me Stronger has potential, but I am not overly crazy about it). But she does seem to sing it a bit more on the demo than just speak it. You know?

To hear BOM and Juliet merged together! Wow! I hope I am able to pull it up later. I really am dying to hear it! Plus, I never heard a FM Juliet demo version. I bet it's really cool...

Last edited by Ghosty; 06-28-2002 at 09:56 AM..