The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Who is 'No Questions Asked' about?

Is it about Lindsey?
Old 12-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Just look at the lines:

Well it's hard to be civil, and it's real hard to be nice
But you did it my love, every time

That could hardly be about Lindsey... especially in THAT era! Just consider her likely most recent encounter with Lindsey in '88 would have been when he was choking her on the hood of a car at Christine's house, and you know what I mean .
Old 12-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
That could hardly be about Lindsey... especially in THAT era! Just consider her likely most recent encounter with Lindsey in '88 would have been when he was choking her on the hood of a car at Christine's house, and you know what I mean .
Thanks for implanting that image into my brain. Now whenever I hear those lines of the song, I'm going to conjure up the mental/aural image of Lindsey, veins popping out of his flushed red temples, and the hollow thud of Stevie's head being bashed against the hood of Christine's black Jaguar repeatedly. The hollow thud being from the car, not Stevie's head, of course. Civil indeed!
Old 12-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Thanks for implanting that image into my brain. Now whenever I hear those lines of the song, I'm going to conjure up the mental/aural image of Lindsey, veins popping out of his flushed red temples, and the hollow thud of Stevie's head being bashed against the hood of Christine's black Jaguar repeatedly. The hollow thud being from the car, not Stevie's head, of course. Civil indeed!

I bet our old girl didn't get hurt too bad... all that big hair and shoulder pads probably softened the blows!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Junior Ledgie

So, not Lindsey...lol.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is this alleged choking incident something that actually did take place or just hearsay by a third party? I ask because it seems to be a common basis for LB digs, the choking thing, and I'd feel a little bad for the guy if the nadir of his reputation was centered around an exaggerated incident. Then again, I figure it probably could have happened. Lindsey was such a hot-head. Was is the operative word of course.

And I've taken this OT, so I'll say the song was about some dude.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Is this alleged choking incident something that actually did take place or just hearsay by a third party? I ask because it seems to be a common basis for LB digs, the choking thing, and I'd feel a little bad for the guy if the nadir of his reputation was centered around an exaggerated incident. Then again, I figure it probably could have happened. Lindsey was such a hot-head. Was is the operative word of course.

And I've taken this OT, so I'll say the song was about some dude.
Mick talked about it in his book, and Stevie has talked about it in recent interviews as well. She's said when Lindsey wanted to quit the band that she got up and bolted across the room to choke him... that she may be small, but she's fairly ferocious . And then it just went downhill from there...

John even alluded to it in the Fleetwood Mac: Going Home documentary by making choking motions.

Last edited by louielouie2000; 12-01-2009 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Remembered more stuff!
Old 12-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe this song is about different people:

When I see him, I feel him
There’s an intensness
In him, in his eyes
He wants me to be with him
He wants me with him now
So how can you say
Well I don’t know what love is
You haven’t and you have no time for it
You feel completely indifferent
You feel pushed up against the wall
And then one day it just almost goes away
You spend lots of time alone
Sometimes you spend years
And you just miss those arms that used to go around you.

That sounds like old macho Lindsey, restless, manic and selfcentered, suddenly turning into "You hurt me" modus. And Stevie sounds like herself, gushing again over the "blue green color flashing" ehh, his eyes, only less romantic this time.

To me, the lines that follow are among her best work (in the 80s) and they represent the art of FM at that time, the piano still kills me:

Night after night
No questions asked and
Who cares, the cold wind of it all, everytime
Well it's hard to be civil and it's
Real hard to be nice
But you did it my love everytime

That is not about Lindsey, at that time (if ever) he was not capable of such kindness.

But - I'm not even sure Stevie wrote the lyrics herself. The 80s were such a mess for her.

In general, No Questions asked is rightfully buried into the 80s obcenity FM fell into. But - it has some elements worth revisiting.

In late August this year, to my real astonishment I realized that I'm following FM for 30 years, basically through thick and thin. Maybe sometimes I'm a bit harsh on them, but they were sometimes pretty harsh on their fans, too. It's only fair.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just because it was released in 1988 doesn't mean that it was written then too, right? Unless there is proof of this.

Would it last forever? You and I together, hand in hand
we run away♥
Old 12-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodtrick View Post
Just because it was released in 1988 doesn't mean that it was written then too, right? Unless there is proof of this.
Very good point! Though in my opinion you can tell it's written in the '86-'88 period simply because of the lyrical style. That's a subjective argument though, and wouldn't hold up in court .

Regardless, I don't think it's about Lindsey. Look back at even Long Distance Winner... Stevie has said herself that song was essentially about loving him, but him being a stubborn @ss . Civil and nice have never described her dealings with Lindsey... ever. This song is about somebody totally different, IMO.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie was staring into the looking glass into the 1990's and then she wrote this song about my relationship with Quinn.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodtrick View Post
I think only someone on klonopin could have the gall to use a (non)word like "intenseness." That word has always been so offensive to me. It ranks right up there with the loopy verb tense used in "I'll follow you down 'til the sound of my voice will haunt you." That's just too much future tense for me!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
John even alluded to it in the Fleetwood Mac: Going Home documentary by making choking motions.

Although it's hard to know who John was talking about in that interview. His comment didn't refer to Stevie or Lindsey as choker. Since Stevie said she ran across the room to strangle Lindsey, John could have been talking about Stevie doing the choking.

Then, Stevie and Mick have described how Lindsey chased Stevie around the block threw her over the bonnet of the car and began choking her until security pulled them apart, with her telling him that her father and brother would avenge her if he murdered her. I found that interesting since the members of the band didn't seem that interested in stopping Lindsey from murdering Stevie. It was left up to the Nicks to obtain justice after the fact.

The joke about being civil reminds me of Lindsey's lyrics on Doesn't Anything Last. When he said that the last time her saw her she had nothing to say, I knew it couldn't possibly be about Stevie, since she's always got plenty to say.

For that matter, Angel doesn't sound too much like Lindsey. I can't imagine him turning around and saying "hello" to Stevie when he walked into a room. That's just a little too polite.

Michele
Old 12-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I think only someone on klonopin could have the gall to use a (non)word like "intenseness." That word has always been so offensive to me. It ranks right up there with the loopy verb tense used in "I'll follow you down 'til the sound of my voice will haunt you." That's just too much future tense for me!
HA. that's funny. i never picked up on that line from silver springs. i used to be a really bitchy prescriptivist but when it comes to stevie, you have to suspend all grammatical expectations.

i mean, you wouldn't say that to bob dylan, would you?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Whoever it's about, I still think it's a BAD song! Sorry!