User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Nikolaj, as far as I can tell Interscope is only interested in hip hop musicians right now. I think Jimmy's days of working with Stevie are a thing of the past. Also Jimmy was a huge success LONG before he produced Bella Donna.
I do see your (good) points,vf, in what you wrote, yet I believe since Interscope was willing to bid on 'Say You Will' in '03, it was likely because JI had some feelings of good will toward SN and the band that likely are still there.
I know Jimmy began (as an engineer, I think) in late '74 on John Lennon's 'Rock and Roll' album and that was his real entry to his own distinguished music career, long before 'Bella Donna', and that it was also JI who had a lot to do with the success of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, also years before 'Bella Donna'...but, it was not only that he produced BD, but that he was largely responsible for the huge success of it, which launched the new label, Modern, through Atlantic, that did wonders for JI's status in the industry. Though he'd produced for TP, I don't know that he was 'hugely successful' along the lines of a Paul Rothchild or Peter Asher or Richard Perry prior to Bella Donna, but after BD, I think he surpassed their reputations as a 'go to' power-producer who knew a lot about music and money-making. You may recall there were plenty of nay-sayers who thought it was nuts that a subsidiary new label (Modern) be formed for SN's solo prospects, which were considered shaky, despite her enormous popularity with the public. Though it was Fishkin and Morris who ran Modern (co-owned by Nicks, almost unheard of at the time, for a woman to own part of her record company) I think it was Jimmy Iovine who really came through as a guiding force that earned many millions in the 1980s for Atlantic Records, through this new label they agreed to launch to launch SN. Also, after he stopped working with her, Stevie's sales steadily declined, which may also add to his reputation as the man perhaps most responsible for her biggest solo successes.
So, I do think his Nicks association did more for Iovine's professional reputation than his work with Tom Petty, Patti Smith, or his very early John Lennon work.
Based on that, I'd say that it's possible that to this day, JI knows the importance of what his association with Nicks helped him to later achieve. Plus, he may just like her, or like her music. It's very likely he knows better than anyone else what would work for her. Interscope had heard 'SYW' and made an offer, I think it could happen again.
Reconsider her, Jimmy!~

Last edited by Nikolaj; 11-26-2009 at 12:41 AM..
Old 11-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Nikolaj, Jimmy I. also produced Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's BORN TO RUN album and I think he might have produced Carole Kings TAPESTRY album. Bella Donna was a success but even without it he was already a sought after producer. I'm sure Stevie knew that by hiring him to produce BD, HER career would be more successful.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Registered

Quote:
Nikolaj, Jimmy I. also produced Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's BORN TO RUN album
He was one of many engineers on the album- didn't produce it.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
But would she seriously spend a year and a half of her life recording Mac music in his garage basement?
Well, as the Tango recording at Lindsey's place was awkward and he always says his girlfriend didn't like it, you're right. But I don't think Lindsey is going to get Stevie to spend 18 months recording anything, anywhere. Compilation, Best Of, whatever . . . He better be able to do whatever it is they do next in 6 months top.

Michele
Old 11-26-2009, 03:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, as the Tango recording at Lindsey's place was awkward and he always says his girlfriend didn't like it, you're right. But I don't think Lindsey is going to get Stevie to spend 18 months recording anything, anywhere. Compilation, Best Of, whatever . . . He better be able to do whatever it is they do next in 6 months top.

Michele
I really hope they make a new album. Do you think if they ever did it at Lindas, that he would be in control?
Old 11-26-2009, 05:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
as far as I can tell Interscope is only interested in hip hop musicians right now
what about No Doubt?
And we already know Interscope was in the running for SYW.

I really think Stevie will want to do something solo. Maybe a short summer tour and then she might look at recording something solo?
Old 11-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
I really think Stevie will want to do something solo. Maybe a short summer tour and then she might look at recording something solo?
Good point. I suspect she'll take at least 6 months off after spending a (likely tumultuous) year with Fleetwood Mac on the road. I could definitely see Stevie wanting to do some solo shows to "let the rain wash her clean" from the Mac . I just can't decide what her next big move will be though. She hasn't released a solo album in nearly 10 years now. On the other hand, she's spent nearly every year of this decade on the road, mostly touring solo. I wonder if she's burnt out on her solo career right now? Or is she burnt out on Fleetwood Mac after spending a year plus recording Say You Will, touring behind it for 2 years, then touring again with the Mac for a year just now?

It seems Lindsey has finally figured out how to release solo albums in a fairly quick fashion, I wonder if he can use that to convince Stevie into recording another Mac album? I'm sure the less time she has to spend in a room with Lindsey, the more motivated she'll be. Plus it looks like an outside producer might be brought in, so that would level the playing field for her and Lindsey, and the producer could likely keep them reigned in and focused. It sounds like Stevie is grossly unhappy with the end result of Say You Will... I'm just hoping she's itching to remedy that with a new Mac album. I doubt she'd want Say You Will to be the Mac's final legacy. I also get the strong impression after Trouble In Shangri La that she is done recording solo. She said time and time again that it was her little masterpiece, and that she doesn't want to record again because it won't sell. So maybe all of this does point towards one last Mac album. I guess we'll see!
Old 11-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
I really hope they make a new album. Do you think if they ever did it at Lindas, that he would be in control?
Even at another location, if they get an outside producer, that should definitely ease tensions for Stevie and Lindsey and give her someone with whom to flesh out her vision and concerns. Lindsey would still have a degree of ultimate control.

Michele
Old 11-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
Ok, I must be a dummy... who is Linda?

I hope they make a new album for what it's worth too... they have a potential for such greatness.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Ok, I must be a dummy... who is Linda?
I assume the person meant to type 'Lindsey'!
Old 11-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
What do we all think there will be out there for the coming year ?

Unleashed extended and more USA concerts ?

New Album ?

Everyone going their own way & solo concerts ?

The whole group taking the year off ?
Hopefully they'll decide to call it a day and Stevie Nicks will come out with a new solo record!