Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:38 AM
Senior Ledgie

Angry Fleetwood Mac leaves out Bob Welch era

Last night on VH1, they showed a 2013 production of the history of FM. They completely left out Bob Welch and the years from 1971-1975. It was a where are they now type thing with the pre BobWelch era and post Bob Welch era only. Now do you see what I mean when I say they are trying to rewrite history and delete my beloved husbands whole era. It is evident every time I turn around. I blame it totally on Mick Fleetwood who owns the name and Christine McVie who vindictively and does have a very malicious part of her soul for doing this. What is wrong with this picture. They really want to take Bob Welch's legacy away from him and change the true history of Fleetwood Mac? I find it unconscienable. Bob's book will come out next year with the real truth about that band and we will be honest. I would like to know what you all think about all the deletions of Bob' era all over the internet. Please respond honestly.
<3 Love in my heart and no hatred, just want Bob to get his due!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It is incredibly irritating how absent Bob's era is from much of the internet. The internet is where most music is based now, and with none of his albums being featured on sites like iTunes or Spotify, a thoroughly enjoyable group of albums has been rendered pretty inaccessible to emerging fans. Completely nonsensical, in my book.

< /preaching to the choir>

I look forward to picking up a copy of Bob's book in the new year. I've enjoyed reading his Q&As on this site and it will be nice to get more of his unique perspective and insight.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
It is incredibly irritating how absent Bob's era is from much of the internet. The internet is where most music is based now, and with none of his albums being featured on sites like iTunes or Spotify, a thoroughly enjoyable group of albums has been rendered pretty inaccessible to emerging fans. Completely nonsensical, in my book.

< /preaching to the choir>

I look forward to picking up a copy of Bob's book in the new year. I've enjoyed reading his Q&As on this site and it will be nice to get more of his unique perspective and insight.
On the bright side, I did see Mystery To Me at Sunrise Records last week. For only $4.99, but whatever gets you to buy multiple copies for all your friends.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
Last night on VH1, they showed a 2013 production of the history of FM. They completely left out Bob Welch and the years from 1971-1975. It was a where are they now type thing with the pre BobWelch era and post Bob Welch era only. Now do you see what I mean when I say they are trying to rewrite history and delete my beloved husbands whole era. It is evident every time I turn around. I blame it totally on Mick Fleetwood who owns the name and Christine McVie who vindictively and does have a very malicious part of her soul for doing this. What is wrong with this picture. They really want to take Bob Welch's legacy away from him and change the true history of Fleetwood Mac? I find it unconscienable. Bob's book will come out next year with the real truth about that band and we will be honest. I would like to know what you all think about all the deletions of Bob' era all over the internet. Please respond honestly.
Wendy, it's sad to hear about this.
I'm wondering WHY Mick or any of the other members would do this. What is your comment to that? With all respect, what did Bob Welch DO to be treated like this? Was there a conflict? Money issues? Bob speaking badly about band or band members in the press?? Mick, Christine, John and Stevie played on Bob's "Live At The Roxy" recorded in 1981. So what happened after that??? I'm not buying that this has to do with record sales.

You're posting very much about this here - naturally.
So what did Bob DO???

Last edited by dansven; 12-12-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Old 12-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sounds just like what Behind the Music did. Who cares if that era wasn't as successful as others? It's still a part of the history of the band. At least spend a feq minutes mentioning the lineup and the albums.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
Sounds just like what Behind the Music did. Who cares if that era wasn't as successful as others? It's still a part of the history of the band. At least spend a feq minutes mentioning the lineup and the albums.
Maybe it was Behind the Music. Someone said that they showed that on VH1 Classic again just a couple of weeks ago.

Michele
Old 12-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Maybe it was Behind the Music. Someone said that they showed that on VH1 Classic again just a couple of weeks ago.

Michele
If it is the Behind the Music episode, then it really does stink, because it really only covers the Rumours era. It barely mentions the original era, apart from Black Magic Woman, skips over 71-74 and 87-96.

There was a UK show that really wenr in depth about the band. I can't remember what it was called.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

As a counterpoint, Christine mentions her love of the Bob Welch Fleetwood Mac years in this brand new interview:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ine-mcvie-nuns
Old 12-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'msoAfraid95 View Post
If it is the Behind the Music episode, then it really does stink, because it really only covers the Rumours era. It barely mentions the original era, apart from Black Magic Woman, skips over 71-74 and 87-96.

There was a UK show that really wenr in depth about the band. I can't remember what it was called.
Disney's Going Home documentary in '93/94 was one of the better ones as far as giving each incarnation their due, the Welch years could've been a bit longer, but then, it was a WHOLE lot more than I was expecting. The end, with a scene of Mick & John walking up a rural road together even hinted at the upcoming radical personnel changes.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Welch View Post
Bob's book will come out next year with the real truth about that band and we will be honest. I would like to know what you all think about all the deletions of Bob' era all over the internet. Please respond honestly.
I'm happy to hear a book is coming out; I can't wait to read it.

I'm very perplexed as to why Bob's legacy with Fleetwood Mac is being overlooked or just ignored. What is the motivation behind this? Why, among so many musicians who passed through the band, is he being singled out?

Bob's contributions were vital to the band's survival. He brought a musical influence to the band that was entirely unique and unlike any other phase of the band. Despite this egregious effort to ignore his time in the band, for dedicated fans, he will always be a significant part of their history.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

Definitely interested in reading the book when it comes out. Though I wasn't alive during the Bob Welch tenure, Mystery To Me was one of my favorite albums, and remains so. Nothing on iTunes from that era either, can't get the music there even.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Welch/Utube

Bob does have some redoes on I tunes and he is all over You tube. FYI
Old 12-31-2013, 07:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Most of Bob's albums are on Spotify. Now, I don't particularly like the business model of streaming services which (ie the artists are paid peanuts) but it's nice to see him on there. The Kirwan-Welch era Mac is sadly missing.

Was there ever a better chillout song than "Future Games"? Wonderful.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

In Europe at least, the 1970-74 albums are available at Spotify, presumably made available just now along with the Tango in the Night reissue, since they're in low numbers at <1000 listens. I don't remember them being there before anyway.

So a digital agreement of sorts has been reached. Sad that Wendy didn't live to see this.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up