Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Village Voice Top Ten CM Songs

[Obviously a shame that this list doesn't contain anything before 1975]

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...mac.php?page=2

The 10 Greatest Christine McVie-Led Fleetwood Mac Songs

By Brittany SpanosThu., Sep. 19 2013 at 3:15 AM

In wonderful news, Stevie Nicks recently revealed that her close friend and fellow lead songstress Christine McVie would be rejoining Fleetwood Mac for one song at two of their shows on the European leg of the band's reunion tour. McVie left in 1998 and, for Fleetwood fans, the news is not only surprising but more than welcome as the band is even better when including the rich tonality of balladeer and multi-instrumentalist McVie. The singer left the band largely due to a fear of flying that inhibited her ability to travel on tour and Fleetwood Mac has gone on to reunite several times after her departure despite missing the unique dynamic the prized third vocalist.

In honor of this news, let's celebrate the wonderful and often hit-making talent of Christine McVie and take a look at 10 of her greatest contributions to one of the biggest rock bands in history.

"Say You Love Me"
Off of Fleetwood's second self-titled album, first to feature Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, and tenth overall, "Say You Love Me" was the first to chart for the band off the record. And it's no wonder it did--the track's infectiously sunny sound and smooth vocals from McVie are a match made in pop heaven.

"You Make Loving Fun"
"You Make Loving Fun" is probably one of the only tracks off of Rumours that's not about another bandmate. Instead, McVie sang about an affair with the band's lighting director and brought a lighter moment to the classic album famously inspired by the inner love-related turmoils of the band.

"Songbird"
While fellow lead singer Stevie Nicks took a more mythical and metaphoric approach to the songs she wrote about her affairs and heartbreaks, McVie crafted simple, straightforward pop tracks that often came in the form of ballads. "Songbird," off Rumours, is one of the most beautiful examples of this.

"Hold Me"
Though Buckingham and Nicks are often noted for their on-stage chemistry throughout their career together stemming from a tumultous relationship, McVie and Buckingham have repeatedly exhibited some pretty perfect vocal chemistry over the course of their time in Fleetwood together. "Hold Me," off Mirage, showcased exactly that and helped transition the band into the '80s with ease.

"Little Lies"
Off Tango in the Night, "Little Lies" is one of McVie's sassier and more sultry songs that is as late-'80s pop as a song can sound, all sleek production and whispering background vocals.

"Over My Head"
Much like fellow 1975 single "Say You Love Me," "Over My Head" is as summery as a '70s power pop song can get and was an easy chart success for the band early on. "It sure feels nice" may be a part of McVie's chorus, but it's also a perfect way of describing the experience of listening to the song.

"Don't Stop"
No Christine McVie list would be complete without the massive Rumours hit and most closely anthemic single "Don't Stop." Sung with Lindsey Buckingham, McVie's tune is still a staple at Fleetwood concerts in spite of her absence.

"Everywhere"
Much like "Little Lies," which is on the same album, this song shimmers. Its Caribbean-pop beat would later be not only an inspiration to Vampire Weekend but go on to be covered by them, too.

"Think About Me"
Off of Tusk, the ambitious and often contentious follow-up to Rumours, "Think About Me" is a little bit of a rougher sound from McVie thanks to Buckingham's harmonies. Yet, like every other McVie song, there's a distinct pop quality to the song that makes it hard to let go.

"Love in Store"
The opener off Mirage is melodious, a little old school, and features some fantastic harmonies from Nicks that help make McVie's song even larger than life.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree. Songs like "Spare Me A Little" and "Why" should be right up there.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 09-19-2013, 12:59 PM

Just Crazy Love and Remember Me too!
Old 09-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Love in Store" is my least favorite Christine pop ditty. I'm not fond of the production on "Everywhere" but underneath that is a really catchy and sweet pop song. "Love in Store" OTOH always felt like it just comes and goes in one ear, out the other.

Lindsey's harmonies are such a great part of "Think About Me".

"Songbird" is a beautiful song but I think "Why" is even more beautiful. I can get why they'd focus on the songs from line-up that included B&N since she's reuniting with them for the stint, she did write so many of their big radio hits, but they're missing so many great songs. Shame.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No "Over and Over"? No "Oh Daddy"? No "Honey Hi"? No "Isn't It Midnight"?

No thanks.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ those too, though I'm not crazy about Oh Daddy. But I love that Mick got emotional over it on Classic Albums.

Also missing are Never Make Me Cry, Never Forget, and Believe Me.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My Chris list would feel incomplete without "Morning Rain", "Homeward Bound", "The Way I Feel", "Bad Loser", "Prove Your Love" ... shows how hard it is to pick just ten, I guess. Such a list is bound to disappoint.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know what the writer meant about "Love in Store" being "a little old school." But I love the song. That, along with "Gypsy" are my favorite tracks from Mirage.

Thanks to the blogger for giving whoever reads it a much-needed reminder of how great Chris and hers songs are.

I wish the writer considered non-hits, too.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

These are absolutely her best/definitive songs from the Rumours era. It's always interesting to see what best of Christine list are out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

"Don't Stop"
No Christine McVie list would be complete without the massive Rumours hit and most closely anthemic single "Don't Stop." Sung with Lindsey Buckingham, McVie's tune is still a staple at Fleetwood concerts in spite of her absence.
Tell this to those who didn't vote for Don't Stop on the poll!
Old 09-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I don't know what the writer meant about "Love in Store" being "a little old school." But I love the song. That, along with "Gypsy" are my favorite tracks from Mirage.

Thanks to the blogger for giving whoever reads it a much-needed reminder of how great Chris and hers songs are.

I wish the writer considered non-hits, too.
Maybe they were confusing it with Eyes of The World. Pachelbel's Canon is really old school.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post

Tell this to those who didn't vote for Don't Stop on the poll!
I voted for it first round. Now, I'm putting the pedal to the metal.

Michele