Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:52 PM

I adore the way Christine plays...

she has an essence
Old 08-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzXYpm18lG8

Amazing example of what Chris is capable of..

Blues piano is not easy.

Last edited by Brwn_eyes0511; 08-15-2008 at 03:52 AM..
Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzXYpm18lG8

Amazing example of what Chris is capable of..

Blues piano is not easy.
I know I play... lots of dominant chords...
Old 08-16-2008, 03:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I read somewhere that she said for blues piano you have to have a strong left hand.

Does it necessarily help then to be left handed?

Gail
Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I read somewhere that she said for blues piano you have to have a strong left hand.
I'd say for boogie-woogie even more than for blues. Still, your right hand has to do all the embellishments & arpeggios & whatnot, too, but similar requirements could be noted for all types of music.

Quote:
Does it necessarily help then to be left handed?
Here's my view, often stated: It's not that it necessarily helps but being left-handed (like Christine) certainly affects one's style & one's sound. Christine's I-V shuffle in the left hand is more metronomic & more precise than a lot of other piano players who have played all those FM shuffles. I think that's due to two reasons: her being left-handed & her playing music with Mick Fleetwood for so many years.

My view of christine's chops is that she is not highly gifted or remarkably agile but that she has enormous personal style within her limited technique -- she is recognizable. In that sense, Christine is to other rock & blues pianists as Lindsey is to other rock & blues guitarists & Mick is to other rock & blues drummers.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krHnt0PFQjo

Early Christine keyboard skills..

say, what kind of keyboard is she playing here anyway?
Old 08-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
say, what kind of keyboard is she playing here anyway?
http://www.rhodeselectrics.com/hohnerpianetn.htm

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I knew you would have the answer David

I wonder if she used this on any of the actual FM albums.

Actually, I would like to do what kind of keyboards she used on EVERY FM album..
Old 08-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wonder if she used this on any of the actual FM albums.
Lots. That's a pianet on "Hypnotized," "Sands of Time," "Prove Your Love," "Did You Ever Love Me," "Keep On Going," etc. etc.

After 1975, you can hear it only on "Fleetwood Mac Live" on "Say You Love Me," "Dreams," "Don't Let Me Down Again," & "Rhiannon."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd say for boogie-woogie even more than for blues. Still, your right hand has to do all the embellishments & arpeggios & whatnot, too, but similar requirements could be noted for all types of music.

Here's my view, often stated: It's not that it necessarily helps but being left-handed (like Christine) certainly affects one's style & one's sound. Christine's I-V shuffle in the left hand is more metronomic & more precise than a lot of other piano players who have played all those FM shuffles. I think that's due to two reasons: her being left-handed & her playing music with Mick Fleetwood for so many years.

My view of christine's chops is that she is not highly gifted or remarkably agile but that she has enormous personal style within her limited technique -- she is recognizable. In that sense, Christine is to other rock & blues pianists as Lindsey is to other rock & blues guitarists & Mick is to other rock & blues drummers.
Interesting. thank you

Gail
Old 08-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Interesting. thank you

Gail
Christine is very special. She's my idol.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-16-2008, 06:53 PM

The thing is... there's a lot of musicians out there that are technically better than most of my favorite artists...

Christine Perfect/McVie is a great example of someone that is competent enough with her intrument to create her own sound, her own essence and muse.....

It's sometimes very soft, funky, driven, groovey, bluesy, chordal, arpeggiated, mellow, and cool......

I love how distinct she can be... being technical to me is respecting the craft of making music... being emotional and personal is executing it with the technique that you have....

Some other very distinct artists ... you can tell it's them because of their style with their instrument

Pat Metheny
Geddy Lee
Miles
Wayne Shorter
George Benson
David Gilmour
Herbie
Tori
Joni
Jaco
....... some of these artists have tons of technical skill while others use both, and others, don't have much....
Old 08-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's sometimes very soft, funky, driven, groovey, bluesy, chordal, arpeggiated, mellow, and cool......
Yes, yes, indeed. Consider the "acoustic" recording of FRIENDS from a few years ago. Christine's Fender Rhodes is everything you say it is: no other keyboardist (with the possible exception of Bob Hall) would have recorded such a simple but fetching accompaniment to this well-structured pop song in quite this way.

Quote:
Some other very distinct artists ... you can tell it's them because of their style with their instrument

Pat Metheny
Geddy Lee
Miles
Wayne Shorter
George Benson
David Gilmour
Herbie
Tori
Joni
Jaco
....... some of these artists have tons of technical skill while others use both, and others, don't have much....
Yes, yes, yes, indeed.

Beethoven, of course, was a mindblowing virtuoso pianist before he hit his compositional stride. Beethoven & Chris McVie have many things in common. Like Beethoven, Christine fought in court for the custody of her nephew over the course of several years, & this wrenching personal struggle affected her songs in startling ways. Like Beethoven, Christine moved numerous times, never settling permanently, always battling landlords & fellow tenants. And like Beethoven, Christine's popularity waned as the taste for Italian (& Italianate) opera -- especially Rossini's work -- grew, until in later years the public regarded the aging, slovenly former member of Fleetwood Mac as compositionally played-out & indeed psych0logically unhinged.

Beethoven & Chris McVie! Two precious spirits of the tonal arts!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Like Beethoven, Christine fought in court for the custody of her nephew over the course of several years
Well, so did Mark Harmon. I wonder if this effected his acting on Navy NCIS. Michele
Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, yes, indeed. Consider the "acoustic" recording of FRIENDS from a few years ago. Christine's Fender Rhodes is everything you say it is: no other keyboardist (with the possible exception of Bob Hall) would have recorded such a simple but fetching accompaniment to this well-structured pop song in quite this way.

Yes, yes, yes, indeed.

Beethoven, of course, was a mindblowing virtuoso pianist before he hit his compositional stride. Beethoven & Chris McVie have many things in common. Like Beethoven, Christine fought in court for the custody of her nephew over the course of several years, & this wrenching personal struggle affected her songs in startling ways. Like Beethoven, Christine moved numerous times, never settling permanently, always battling landlords & fellow tenants. And like Beethoven, Christine's popularity waned as the taste for Italian (& Italianate) opera -- especially Rossini's work -- grew, until in later years the public regarded the aging, slovenly former member of Fleetwood Mac as compositionally played-out & indeed psych0logically unhinged.

Beethoven & Chris McVie! Two precious spirits of the tonal arts!

Chris McVie was Beethoven with a wig!!!