User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Moon View Post
Okay, I'll put forward my interpretation of "Rumours II", based on what you said. This will be a wild guess!

After the thirty-two years of turmoil, angst, and more love affairs than The Tudors could ever have hoped for, Fleetwood Mac need to end their recording career (assuming the "next" album would be the last) reflecting on this. Like "Rumours" did, but a continuation of the album. So, back to the Southern Californian sound Buckingham-Nicks had when they first joined the band, with just tight harmonies and the narrative to carry the songs.
That's pretty close to what I mean. Sequels are underrated. Lindsey's sarcastic expression "Rumours II" refers to a formula to be followed (this album needs a "Go Your Own Way", this album needs a "Dreams") and commercial considerations foisted upon artists by the industry. But as history has shown, sequels can also be liberating. In movie terms, Godfather II & III, Robocop 2, Empire Strikes Back, Another 48 Hours, Gremlins 2: A New Batch, Crank 2: High Voltage all are examples of sequels that deepened the proven appeal of their popular predecessors.

I think there is something joyful in the formula that I described, that can be enriched, now, by the fact that Stevie and Lindsey are. . . older. Songs like "Thrown Down" and "Under the Skin" suggest that they are still responding to each other in fascinating, complicating ways that illuminate all human experience. The pop audience has an investment in the relationship these two share: 12 songs to explicate its various nuances could be a beautiful thing.

I think that kind of lazer-focus can be freeing.

But I wouldn't want this to be a goodbye. AFTER Rumours II, I'd be all for the Fleetwood Mac political album: Stevie's songs about Iraq War veterans & Katrina; Lindsey's songs about the decline of the music industry & his struggles to maintain his artistic integrity within it. Imagine those two perspectives interwoven. Marx would approve.

Call that political album: Vampire Song

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 09-22-2009 at 12:38 PM..
Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
Unfortunately I've encountered many of the casual fan types who shelled out the big bucks for these shows. In fact that's usually the type of "fan" I'm surrounded by at the front, whether at Stevie or Fleetwood Mac shows (Lindsey is different). There are exceptions of course (and the people who manage to get up front despite where they're supposed to be sitting) Stevie is right they don't want to hear anything different, and for the few songs that are not "hits" they do go to the bathroom and for more beer. Why they pay so much for these seats and don't enjoy the show is beyond me. It's too bad the band is unwilling to play smaller venues so they could be more creative in their set list.
I also think FM should play smaller venues and there ought to be a way for all of us serious fans to have the good seats!! I know casual fans bring in money but the faithful are the ones out there buying the new albums and the ones who will stick by the band no matter what!!
Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

I definently think ya'll are referring to the other GDW, I am the newbie who is the PETA member hippie Marine...nuff' said.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
I definently think ya'll are referring to the other GDW, I am the newbie who is the PETA member hippie Marine...nuff' said.
You left out Wiccan ?

Old 09-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
You left out Wiccan ?
Sorry! Yes: The tree hugging, Wiccan, PETA member, hippie US Marine. Wait til I get out of the Marines...it's on then....life will be interesting!....now...i'm off to go swim....blah taking swim lessons to get better.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
Sorry! Yes: The tree hugging, Wiccan, PETA member, hippie US Marine. Wait til I get out of the Marines...it's on then....life will be interesting!....now...i'm off to go swim....blah taking swim lessons to get better.
Cool I'm a tree hugger too! And where I live north of San Francisco there are plenty of tress to hug. My favorite even over the Redwoods are the Oaks leading me to believe I am probably a Druid.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Cool I'm a tree hugger too! And where I live north of San Francisco there are plenty of tress to hug. My favorite even over the Redwoods are the Oaks leading me to believe I am probably a Druid.
I like Sequoias too...
Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Me going off on a rant...

I meant tree hugger as a joke! LOL But I love nature and animals as Wiccans do! I love to look up at night and feel that feeling of how little we are compared to the stars and moon. Also when I look at the trees and stuff I feel like it so amazing to have such a beautiful world that we live in. Also I love to see animals when i'm around they usually show up! LOL!

I have to admit myself (and my mom who is also Wiccan) are part of the "Stevie is a Wiccan" group....btw as i've expressed before please don't say witch! I hate that, because there is a difference between practicing that and Wicca. Wicca is a religion where you worship the God and Goddess or just the Goddess depending on your preference with the spells and rituals in order to help you out in life or to worship. As for just practicing witchcraft its all just spells. And Wiccans follow the Wiccan Rede: "An it harm none, do what ye will". There i'm off my rant....just wanted to express why I hate being called a WITCH! Granted you can be called a witch as a Wiccan it just drives me crazy! I hate when my Sgt's pull that I actually have a Sgt who lives 40 mins from Salem so he loves to pull that.

Last edited by ~GoldDustWoman~; 09-22-2009 at 07:45 PM..
Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hike all the time in the parks of the coastal ranges and literally lay hands on trees and feel that Oak trees in particular have great spiritual enegry.the tradition of worshipping Oaks can be found in many pre-Christian religions not only the Driuids of the British Isles but the people in ancient Greece venerated them.I feel a great peace and connection with the Earth when I am in these groves.I am not part of a formal group but if there are any Druids in the North bay reading this fell free to PM.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Don't know too much about it but hey I feel a bit better at least knowing there is someone who at least knows a bit of where i'm coming from!

Also btw going off on that rant reminds me of Stevie! HA I'm not a witch!

Last edited by ~GoldDustWoman~; 09-22-2009 at 07:56 PM..
Old 09-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Whoever posted the link to the "Stevie Hates the Internet" article: that pretty much sums up how I feel about the woman these days, as talented as I think she was in her heyday, and as much I will always love her work with FM and much (most?) of her solo material.

I originally became a fan watching VH1 Storytellers all those years ago, where she portrayed herself as this artiste, and was disillusioned when she went from that to caring more about her image as an arena rock diva or some such hooey. I went through a period of about two years where I didn't listen to her or FM at all - I've started doing so again, and while I will always love her music, it isn't quite the same and likely never will be.

As far as it being over...I would be utterly shocked if Stevie ever released another solo album - in 2002, if you'd have told me that Joni Mitchell would release another album, and LB would release two more solo albums before Stevie did, I'd have thought you were out of your everloving mind. I think it's even less likely FM will do another album. Stevie will probably continue to tour for a few more years, but as far as doing anything creative either solo or as part of FM - I'll be very surprised, to say the least. This tour is probably the end of the road for FM and they all must know it on some level.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
. This tour is probably the end of the road for FM and they all must know it on some level.
The rest of the post is pretty accurate but does anybody believe that as money grubbing as this band has become that they will not milk the inevitable round of "farewell tours"?

Old 09-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Registered

Quote:
The rest of the post is pretty accurate but does anybody believe that as money grubbing as this band has become that they will not milk the inevitable round of "farewell tours"?
Lindsey's the wild card here, but, yes, they'll most definitely be back for one final go-round.

It'll probably have to wait until '11 or '12, since they needlessly oversaturated North America this year. Probably '12- economy should be better, 35th anniversary of Rumours, maybe a new Greatest Hits package with a few new by-the-numbers songs that blatantly allude to the journey the band has had, etc. And- the most important- the pièce de résistance - a nice big fat juicy lucrative 100 date arena Farewell Tour that will, for the very first time, entirely focus on/celebrate the hits.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Lindsey's the wild card here, but, yes, they'll most definitely be back for one final go-round.

It'll probably have to wait until '11 or '12, since they needlessly oversaturated North America this year. Probably '12- economy should be better, 35th anniversary of Rumours, maybe a new Greatest Hits package with a few new by-the-numbers songs that blatantly allude to the journey the band has had, etc. And- the most important- the pièce de résistance - a nice big fat juicy lucrative 100 date arena Farewell Tour that will, for the very first time, entirely focus on/celebrate the hits.
I'd be willing to bet money on the fact you've pretty much nailed the Mac's future. Markolas really wrapped up things in a tidy bow too: when they agreed to do this oldies tour, that was the final nail in the coffin of the Fleetwood Mac creative legacy. It's unfortunate, because there is still so much potential left. But at least we aren't caught off guard and surprised... we know the band is dying a painfully slow, agonizing public death. I still think Stevie needs to be burned at the stake like the WITCH she is for killing the band . We get it that she's unhappy and insecure, but did she really have to take the sorry @ss remnants of FM down with her??
Old 09-23-2009, 05:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You may be right, but I dunno...given how Stevie bitched about the SYW tour being a "boys' club" and how much she (says she) hated it, and then how it took five years to get back out on the road...it's hard to say. They're certainly doing this for the money, and if they do it again, it'll be for the money. It's certainly conceivable that Stevie could love the money more than she hates touring with the band.

They're all at least 60 now - and Mick is pushing 70, I don't care how old he says he is. How many "farewell" tours could there be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I still think Stevie needs to be burned at the stake like the WITCH she is for killing the band . We get it that she's unhappy and insecure, but did she really have to take the sorry @ss remnants of FM down with her??
I know chiliD et al think it's heresy, but as others have said, Stevie is the face of FM and has been since the late '70s. Take her away, and there is no point, and I think the rest of the band knows that. I wouldn't have agreed at the time of SYW, but Christine was truly the glue that held the band together and kept it from flying off in several different directions and generally deteriorating into a big stinking mess, which is what it sounds like the SYW project was (and I don't necessarily mean the album itself, but the process of making it and then touring behind it).