The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
OK. So. I have 3 herniated discs in my neck, one of which is pressing on my spinal cord as well as the radial nerve root. At least I know I'm not crazy, and we've found the reason for my pain. Neurosurgical consult is next. Continuing PT twice a week.

Still plugging away on the elliptical though. Better than nothing, but I don't feel toned anymore & that pisses me off. Eating has been OK, but I've definitely been craving junky carb food more often than usual - comfort food, I suppose. Got to keep that in check.
Holy crap, P! I'm so sorry, that sucks so much nard. I hope everything works out.

Naturally, as usual, I prescribe (I play a doctor on TV!) yoga for back problems. Trouble is, your stuff is pretty bad, so you would need supervised, special yoga. Although you might be able to do some light back stretches on your own. Forward bends, standing and sitting maybe.
If we aren't that used to working out our upper body, things can get out of alignment fast. Especially when you add in weird sleeping, and randomness. When you get back on your feet, arm/back wise, you might want to include yoga with your weight training. I guess you'll probably have to get PT, yeah? I would think they'd prescribe that as part of your recovery.
It's kind a cool you still do your legwork exercise, considering the amount of pain it sounds like you must be in.
wow, I just feel so bad for you. I hope it all works out smoothly. Like buttah. coconut oil.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ Oh yeah, I've been doing PT for the past 4 weeks. It's basically a combination of weight training, chiro & yoga-like stretching. I have been banned from doing any other exercises (esp. yoga or chiro treatments) that's outside my treatment program - it could aggravate the injury.

I'm thinking the new job has caused this - lots more time sitting at a desk typing as opposed to running around seeing patients all day. I had an ergonomic study done last week, so hopefully with some adjustments (new chair & keyboard, moving around more, being more conscious of my body mechanics) I can progress more quickly & prevent this from happening again.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

everyone still hanging in there? I slacked off last week because I had a lot going on and just needed a break, but I'm back on. I ran 3 miles last night. I wasn't sure I could do it and maintain momentum, but I did.

we're coming up on holidays and it's hard to maintain portion control. good luck to everyone!