Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-22-2003, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Don't Get Me Wrong

Can a higher power please banish the phrase "don't get me wrong" from the vocabulary here? It's like hearing an unneeded apology. Why are so many people afraid they will offend others with their opinions? Music is subjective... there is no right or wrong. Isn't it assumed that, aside from our common love of the band, we can all agree to disagree? Yes, I'm huge fan of all things Mac---been one since 1977. That doesn't mean I have to apologize for not liking some aspect of the group...just because someone else does. Don't get me wrong, but prefacing statements with "Don't get me wrong" seems lame and wimpy to me. I guess it's the evil english teacher in me. (my little demon).
Old 02-22-2003, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well, PenguinHead, you at least can join Phil in the 'Anti-apologetic' Club - but even he has been turned to the darkside I think!

Frankly I doubt many people hear find it 'lame' or even distracting to read statements, opinions etc prefaced with common courtesies; I certainly do not. These 'institutions' come about for reasons, and I think you'll find that without putting in the effort to provide even token qualifications and concessions of respect, it's all too easy for posts to be abrupt, readily misconstrued, and the source of anything from one-on-one argument to an all-out flaming war, doubtlessly the greater evil, and due to nothing more than a lapse in courtesy and humility.

Ledgies aren't quite group-hugging saps the calibre of those to be found at Mick'sBBS, but we do our best to engage in mature debate and reasonably qualified freedom of speech, upheld not in the least by the tenet that a little politeness goes a long way.

(Hmmm maybe a higher power should banish me for boring you with all that!)
Old 02-23-2003, 05:43 AM
Ledgie

Default RIGHT ON DownOn Rodeo!

That was clever DownOnRodeo

Or to put it another way PenguinHead, what a ridiculous waste of a thread.

Don't get me wrong here, I mean no offense to you personally

david
Old 02-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the reply, DownOnRodeo. You didn't bore me in the least. I found your reply extremely articulate! I certainly don't want to appear to be rude. I'm all for common courtesy and politeness. I guess I just wanted to express my frustrations over what appears to be a prevailing fear of some Ledgies to be ridiculously politically correct and not offend anyone.

If someone doesn't like a song, band member, album, etc...and states that opinion, I have no reason to be offended! Everyone has their own perspective and I respect that. In fact, I believe that true diehard Fleetwood Mac fans have more authority than anyone else to dish and be critical of the band and their actions. It's sort of like family -- you can be critical of family members because you know them much better than others, but outsiders less familiar with the family -- their criticisms hold less water. Why is it considered impolite here to dish the band or have a negative thought or have a lively (and friendly) exchange with someone with whom you disagree? I see no need to preface personal thoughts with a so-called "common courtesy" of "Don't get me wrong." It just seems silly and simplistic to me.

Thus, I enjoy reading posts that are critical of the band. It's more interesting when it's not just a Big Love fest. Lately, given the growing anamosity people have toward Mick Fleetwood, I'm seeing more of that, and I think it makes for a more dynamic board.

Lindsey Rocks -- I'll forgive you for calling my posting "a waste of a thread." I look forward to seeing more of your stimulating, high-minded, sophisticated non-wasteful threads!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-23-2003 at 05:26 PM..
Old 02-23-2003, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Hm....

I think the phrase "don't get me wrong" is used more as a way to clarify what someone's intends to say, rather than apologize. Sure I find it annoying if a post is all muddled with disclaimers, apologies, pussyfooting, etc. It's nice if the writer gets to the point, however long or short that point may be.
Some phrases can definitely be overused, which is kind of redundant and annoying, but I'd rather have people use them to communicate presicely what they mean rather than make a dubious statement that leaves people scratching their heads. Not everyone is a brilliant writer.

-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

"All alone we suffer. Oh, to steal your heart away."

Last edited by ERigby818; 02-23-2003 at 05:17 PM..
Old 02-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for your thoughts! It's all good!
Old 02-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

About the "common places" used, I always have to excuse myself... Sometimes we, the people who are not born English-speakers tend to hold on to those phrases to make their point visible and quite clear for external readers. But sure, I will try to use them as little as possible. I agree in the interpretation of the "don't get me wrong" as in explaining that one has a slightly different point of view than a first, quick lecture of the phrase might suggest, but it gets annoying when used as an excuse. Don't get me wrong, I love how respectful and mature our discussions have been lately, but there's no need to excuse when one express his opinion with respect, which is the most important point to have in mind when discussing anything.

Song of the moment - Second Hand News