Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-21-2003, 12:18 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Why "cheesy"?

I was reading an interview from Guitar Player with a guy from the band The Music. They asked him "who else inspired you to play?" His response was:

This sounds cheesy, but my dad used to listen to a lot of Fleetwood Mac - the Lindsey Buckingham period. My dad loves his playing, and I grew up getting into it myself. I was quite young (laughs)......

Why do most people (not us, obviously) think it's cheesy to like FM? Lindsey's a damn good guitar player, so why does he have to qualify his comment by saying "I was quite young". hrmph
Old 02-21-2003, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Angry Moron.

I don't understand the word cheesy anyways...what YOU like is what YOU like and who gives a flying flip WHAT anyone else likes!!?? If you are ashamed to say you like a certain artist, then, you didn't really like them to begin with. His dad sounds like a swell guy!
Old 02-21-2003, 02:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christy,

Is "Funkytown, TX" by any chance Fort Worth? I have a couple of friends from Fort Worth that refer to it as that and was wondering if that's what everyone from there calls it! Thanks and good night.

Brad
Old 02-21-2003, 02:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I know what you mean KathyD. It's epidemic! Even i usually end up being apologetic about my appreciation of the Mac.
Reason? Stevie's persona and Christine's songs = both lend themselves to a sort of... shall we say, gaiety!!...whether it's retro or diva-ish or just plain 'girly'. Not that there's anything wrong with that! And hey, I'm talking about x-gen popular impressions, not how it might necessarily work for you or me.
No thanks to Lindsey's humility and lack of 'celebrity ego', if I mention I like FM to someone I know, they will NEVER realise I'm talking 40% about a guitar guy called 'Lindsey Buckingham'.

X-Gen Impressions of FM? Don't Stop, Little Lies etc

In the end it's just as well I couldn't give a damn about anyone else's opinion of what music I like!

Beyond all that, maybe it's nothing more than FM as a pop band, not a rock band, and the guarded attitude people can have towards pop.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

The only time I'd ever use "cheesy" in the same sentence as Fleetwood Mac is if I'm talking about the video for Big Love.

Don't get me wrong, I think the video is cool, it was especially cool when it first came out...and I love Lindsey's sexy intensity in the vid, and I can't get enough of the the Stevie dress-waving....I'd probably like the vid even more if Lindsey weren't dancing with some scrawny brunette....But GREAT as it is, the Big Love video is a bit cheesy.....IMO.

-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

"All alone we suffer. Oh, to steal your heart away."

Last edited by ERigby818; 02-21-2003 at 12:33 PM..
Old 02-21-2003, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Seriously?

Quote:
Originally posted by ERigby818
I can't get enough of the the Stevie dress-waving....
You're kidding, right? She looks ridiculous!

But then again I hate the whole video. The only cool shot is the beach. Lindsey floating through space, traveling down a conveyer belt down a hall, and the strange Sesame Street-esque interaction between him andthat funny looking brunette with fried hair are all quite...well....cheesy.

Last edited by sodascouts; 02-21-2003 at 12:50 PM..
Old 02-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Seriously?

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
You're kidding, right? She looks ridiculous!
Especially at the end when the video reverses at high speed!!!
Old 02-21-2003, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

ROTFLMAO!!!!
Of course it's ridiculous (LMAO I forgot about the high speed backwards part!!), but come on! It's classic! Just look at the hairstyles in that video! Classic! I feel the same way about most Stevie solo vids...cheesy, but loveable!!
-Sonia
"So I close my eyes softly... till I become that part of the wind that we all long for sometimes. And to those that I love like a ghost through a fog, like a charmed hour and a haunted song, and the angel... of my dreams"

"All alone we suffer. Oh, to steal your heart away."
Old 02-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's dress waving I think is great too...and I love in reverse right at the beginning of the reversal how she looks. What else is she supposed to do? Big Love is not a tambourine type of song. The main thing I laugh about in this video is Lindsey's ridiculously high hair. It's insane! I'm so glad it was a little shorter in the other two videos for TITN. I really don't find the videos as cheesy. I just think their very dreamlike -- in the surreal worlds that each member of FM lives in. Now, Everywhere, well, we won't get into that...while it IS yet another venture into an FM world, it just wasn't done well.

Getting back on track with this post, I don't know if maybe this quote would sound better in the full context of the interview. First of all, I don't know the band The Music...so what kind of music do they play? If they are this type of Nu-Metal band or something along those lines, I might see why HE would think of Fleetwood Mac as cheesy -- even though I (and I'm sure many more here) find Fleetwood Mac to be much better musically than any of these types of bands today.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

I really like the video, and Stevie's dress waving doesn't bother me. I like how she gets into it during the second "stage" shot.

The beach shot is really cool
Old 02-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Moron.

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
If you are ashamed to say you like a certain artist, then, you didn't really like them to begin with. His dad sounds like a swell guy!
I totally agree. Whenever I mention an artist or band I like to someone, I don't worry what the person will think of me...I actually get pi**ed off if they haven't heard of them!lol! And then they get worried!lol!

Yea, his dad has good taste!

Old 02-21-2003, 07:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo

X-Gen Impressions of FM? Don't Stop, Little Lies etc
Totally! A few months ago I was on the computer, listening to Tango. My [24 year old] brother comes up behind me and says, "Ah, I see you're listening to AM Gold.".
Old 02-21-2003, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Want some whine with your cheese? LOL

Well, FM aren't really a video band. Little Lies is my fave FM video...the colors are beautiful and Lindsey looks GREAT in it...heck, they ALL look really sexy in the video!! Big Love bites pretty much but I agree, the beach scene is COOL!!! What is it about that beach scene? We all LOVE it!! That's a RARE thing, us all agreeing on something!! LOL That chick in the video..yeah, she's NOT hot or ANYTHING, at least get Lindsey a HOT chick!! COME ON!! LOL I blame the director for that video idea.

Brad, yes, I'm from Foat Wuth, Texas!! Cowtown, Funkytown...yup!

seteca, I get mad when people go "Who's she?" when I mention Lindsey!! AAAAHHH!! Lindsey is a MAN!!!!!

Grain, AM Gold!! Tango??? Good gravy...well give me "AM Gold" over today's TOP 40 CRAP ANYDAY!!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 02-21-2003 at 07:40 PM..
Old 02-22-2003, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't stereotype all gen~X'ers. I'm a gen~X'er, and ALL I ever listen to it the Mac and Stevie. Think I don't get some strange looks???

But I don't give a damn!

Maria
Old 02-22-2003, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Well....

Quote:
Originally posted by sara1998
Don't stereotype all gen~X'ers. I'm a gen~X'er, and ALL I ever listen to it the Mac and Stevie. Think I don't get some strange looks???

But I don't give a damn!

Maria
At least some gen-X'ers have some taste in music...Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."