The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2009 tour: Aren't you glad Christine retired from touring?

This new 2009 'Hits' thing sounds rather horrendous, doesn't it? I mean, without Christine, and pretending they can do the hits without her.

Much as I'd love to have seen the Mac live with Christine as part of it, I am really quite glad that she stopped when she did. The majority of those remaining band members, I feel, really have lost a good deal of their stage presence: Lindsey lost his vocal range some time ago, and Stevie on the SYW tour was not particularly great. Mick, equally, I just felt sorry for when he was doing his 'drum solo'.

So, I welcome a possible new album, and thank goodness Christine knew when to quit. A very British trait, I feel

But it does rather annoy me that now they're marketing this nonsense next year as some sort of Dream Greatest Hits Tour when it cannot possibly be. And anyway, they do it every tour. As someone sagely observed here, they're in danger of becoming The Eagles: the very epitome of profit-before-ethics.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If Chris had continued to record and tour with Fleetwood Mac, I would have continued to buy the records, listen to them, and go see them in concert. And it would have been good, I'm sure. But I think 'In the Meantime' is better than what the classic lineup would have produced with her as part of it, so yes, from that point of view I'm glad she retired from touring.

It doesn't matter much to me what the Christine-less FM is doing, since I'm not about to pay arena prices to see them. What I don't understand is they're apparently touring and THEN they're going to record an album? (Or did I misunderstand that?) That doesn't make much sense.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post

It doesn't matter much to me what the Christine-less FM is doing, since I'm not about to pay arena prices to see them. What I don't understand is they're apparently touring and THEN they're going to record an album? (Or did I misunderstand that?) That doesn't make much sense.
That is exactly what they are doing and you're correct it makes no sense.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If Chris had continued to record and tour with Fleetwood Mac, I would have continued to buy the records, listen to them, and go see them in concert. And it would have been good, I'm sure. But I think 'In the Meantime' is better than what the classic lineup would have produced with her as part of it, so yes, from that point of view I'm glad she retired from touring.

I totally agree.

I probably wont go to a concert on their tour next year (always assuming they grace Europe with their presence). I say probably because I haven't missed a UK tour since 1973 and it would feel a bit like breaking the chain (get it?)

But a Greatest Hits tour? Isn't that a bit like a lounge act?

If Christine was touring I'd definately go just because it won't ever happen again but as that's not likely I may just keep my money.

Gail
Old 12-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am definitely glad that Chris stopped touring when she did. It looks like that means maybe more new music from her, which is just fine by me. Like Joanne said, I could care less about a Fleetwood Mac without Christine McVie, although the new Rumours CD/DVD package sounds interesting. I wonder if it's going to include any of that Japan Live/Documentary footage.

Also, she'll be 65 next summer. She knew when to quit. The Dance was a perfect way to end it for her, and in my opinion it would have been a perfect way to end Fleetwood Mac, period.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't understand why it is so hard for them to put out some new material. Obviously both Lindsey and Stevie are quite prolific in their output. Sure, they might not sell in Rumours quantities, but at least they would keep their artistic integrity. I for one would be happy to go and see them do new stuff. I was really happy with the SYW album, sure it wasn't like it was in the heyday but it was new.

Yes I'd probably pay to see them do a greatest hits package, but I'd hope for so much more...
Old 12-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I don't understand why it is so hard for them to put out some new material.
Because they still haven't accepted the fact that their music is no longer relevant in terms of the charts, and thus they overthink everything related to the production. That's really all it is. It's not that hard to make an album. Hell, they could actually record the album with Christine without Christine ever setting foot in L.A.

Bob Pollard has a few albums coming out soon, and he just started recording these albums back in July/August. The music for one of the albums was recorded in Portland, Oregon, and the vocals were done in Kent, Ohio. So, it IS possible. It doesn't need to be perfect, just good enough.

As to the band touring then recording, that may have some advantages. I think the album could take less time to record and be tighter musically, since they'll be used to playing together again.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
This new 2009 'Hits' thing sounds rather horrendous, doesn't it?
It's all fairly crass, but all of rock is -- all of pop culture is. This Fleetwood Mac business is no different from stretching a sitcom to infinity (or seven or eight years of lousy seasons), or of milking Bessie the Holstein. So you can't blame the Fleetwoods in isolation from the rest of the world.

My aesthetic response to the endless spinning out of seasons of the Fleetwood Mac saga is very consistent since my teen years to the present: The band I dug so keenly was a completely different band -- different sound, different presence, different atmosphere, different style, different look, different everything. Today's band apparently still appeals to thousands of people, so good for everyone. But it is unquestionably a just about completely different band. And my "experience" of these guys exists only in a Proustian recollection: some small repeated gesture amplified in a slowly receding memory.

My Fleetwood Mac is Gatsby's green light.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Because they still haven't accepted the fact that their music is no longer relevant in terms of the charts, and thus they overthink everything related to the production. That's really all it is. It's not that hard to make an album. Hell, they could actually record the album with Christine without Christine ever setting foot in L.A.
I wonder who is the driving force behind that though? Who still thinks they are relevant in terms of the charts? I wouldn't have thought Lindsey really cared - it never seemed to affect his solo output. So who else would it be? Surely not the record companies - they must know the ability of the band to sell/not sell.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

Bob Pollard has a few albums coming out soon, and he just started recording these albums back in July/August. The music for one of the albums was recorded in Portland, Oregon, and the vocals were done in Kent, Ohio. So, it IS possible. It doesn't need to be perfect, just good enough.

As to the band touring then recording, that may have some advantages. I think the album could take less time to record and be tighter musically, since they'll be used to playing together again.
You make some great points here. Other then money being there motive here.....to me its not 'love' of getting the music out anymore. I feel that way about Stevie's solo stuff. All the GH package's are just ways to get more money really....milking the cow ...so to speak but it would seem the milk has run dry already but they can't or won't accept it. I agree its not hard to put 'new' music out. Even though I don't love the download thing at all but they could do that and release limited edition #'d cds. Or box sets with only unrelased material/which we all know that there is more...Lindsey really needs his own boxed set..........Stevie could put re-issues' out of her solo stuff or masters or all the unreleased tracks....as well as the offical DVD releases of the HBO 'full' special with extras.....and Christine could do a box set as well.....Fmac could re-issue from 'Live' on (Mirage/Tango/Mask)....as well as offical DVD's of the Mirage HBO special with extras....the Tusk Doc with extras...Tango updated with full concert extras....a Mask concert....who knows .....the list is really endless.....Stevie could release a book of unreleased photos since I doubt we'll ever see a full bio from her ever.....unless she really has it written but its in some 'valuet' someplace locked away?? who knows. The possiblies exsist but they don't see it. I will not either be paying for an expensive ticket next yr to hear the 'hits' all over again.......its not worth the $$......but to each his /her own.....we all have to do what we have to do or not. No offence just an opinion......
PS: forgot to add that Christine knew when to leave...she was the smart one by the looks of it.......and she is enjoying herself and her life. She has one....guess the others can't forgo there ego's to really live there life beyond music.....heck they wouldn't ever have to tour again period.....just with all the stuff mentioned above.....& there's probably alot that we don't even know about......? I guess they all need the $$ or thats what it's looking like anyway.......
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."

Last edited by starshine; 12-07-2008 at 03:20 PM..
Old 12-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the question is.. will they do a GREAT SHOW? without Chris?

Tina Turner has no top ten singles anymore. Neither Cher. But people looove to see their shows. Will Fleetwood Mac do the same? The Reunion tour (the Dance) was great because they were still in good (voices) shape. Now is 11 (12 in 209) years later. And Christine McVie is not in the band. I think the shows will be fine, that's it.

If they want to go on the road for fun and earn money, good for them. I don't think the toour will be a disaster. I don't think they will perform bad. But if we compare with the 80s or 70s tours, even with the _Reunion tour, obvioulsy we will be dissapointed.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
PS: forgot to add that Christine knew when to leave...she was the smart one by the looks of it.......and she is enjoying herself and her life. She has one
Good point.

Gail
Old 12-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac throughout their history have had a talent for re-inventing themselves. I'd like to see what's left of FM re-invent themselves again, this time as an indie band. The problem with 'Say You Will,' beside the obvious lack of Christine, was it was too ambitious. Half the number of songs, half the time spent in the studio (or much less, even), would have produced a much better record. If they didn't make such a big deal out of recording (and touring), they might even entice Chris to make a contribution to a new record. You can record a good song in a day ... heck, you can record a good song in an hour. If they all got on a plane and went to her, and put her nephew in charge with instructions to keep a strict eye on the clock, they could crank out a couple of numbers for a new record with Christine without her even having to change out of her pyjamas.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac throughout their history have had a talent for re-inventing themselves. I'd like to see what's left of FM re-invent themselves again, this time as an indie band. The problem with 'Say You Will,' beside the obvious lack of Christine, was it was too ambitious. Half the number of songs, half the time spent in the studio (or much less, even), would have produced a much better record. If they didn't make such a big deal out of recording (and touring), they might even entice Chris to make a contribution to a new record. You can record a good song in a day ... heck, you can record a good song in an hour. If they all got on a plane and went to her, and put her nephew in charge with instructions to keep a strict eye on the clock, they could crank out a couple of numbers for a new record with Christine without her even having to change out of her pyjamas.
I agree with your observations about the practicalities, but there isn't the will. Christine would be far too scared that it enticed her back into a world she has had enough of. Equally, I still think that Lindsey would see any such move as retrograde and almost a concession of power/sound on his part.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:38 PM

I honestly feel that Christine did not artistically dig the sensation of recording with Fleetwood Mac anymore.

I don't think she said it publicly because she is pretty diplomatic when it comes to speaking with the media in this regard. I did get the sense that she felt the music was starting to suffer.

Christine was a musician vs an entertainer... which quite often contrasted the other two in my opinion. And I can hear the lack of magic between them when they sing now... I think she obviously could too..

This is why I have a great deal of respect for her decision to retire. I think Lindsey should have respected it too and I was miffed that he didn't because it showed his lack of character. I really enjoyed In The Meantime and also thought Gift of Screws was solid..

I don't think the FM effort is of the quality it used to be and therefore, would like to see more solo work evolve from each of them... if not... I applaud all of their careers as very successful, artistic and lucrative.

As far as buying into this "Unleashed tour" not going to happen for me... The same songs just keep getting worse... and the price just keeps getting worse...their need to drive a grand institution into the ground just keeps getting worse... and my need to see them well... .it's just fading away....

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 12-08-2008 at 01:41 PM..