Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Stevie Response to Orlando Tragedies

Just saw this message from Stevie posted to her Facebook page in response to the incidents in Orlando and wanted to share her kind words.

Sometimes~ In a difficult situation, a song from the past will call out to me. Concerning what happened in Orlando~ I hope these words might be comforting to those involved. I dedicate “Touched by an Angel” to all those lost~ and all those left behind. I have included the original demo because it is my favorite version. This was my mothers favorite song~
All my love,
Stevie Nicks
P.S.
I also send these words to Christina Grimmie~ and to her family, so sad…so very, very sad~ I am so sorry…

https://soundcloud.com/groundctrlstr...l-stevie-nicks
Touched by an Angel - Stevie Nicks

Last edited by Lisa W; 06-19-2016 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Add song link
Old 06-19-2016, 05:41 PM
Registered

This is why I love Stevie.

Very kind tribute to Christina Grimmie as well
Old 06-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Registered

Here's the link to the previously unheard demo of this song on YouTube:

Old 06-19-2016, 05:55 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
Just saw this message from Stevie posted to her Facebook page in response to the incidents in Orlando and wanted to share her kind words.

Sometimes~ In a difficult situation, a song from the past will call out to me. Concerning what happened in Orlando~ I hope these words might be comforting to those involved. I dedicate “Touched by an Angel” to all those lost~ and all those left behind. I have included the original demo because it is my favorite version. This was my mothers favorite song~
All my love,
Stevie Nicks
P.S.
I also send these words to Christina Grimmie~ and to her family, so sad…so very, very sad~ I am so sorry…

https://soundcloud.com/groundctrlstr...l-stevie-nicks
Touched by an Angel - Stevie Nicks

thank you for posting this , it was very thoughtful .
Old 06-19-2016, 06:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
thank you for posting this , it was very thoughtful .
You are welcome. It's been such a sad week and I was so glad to see Stevie step up and offer her condolences with her music and words. Gestures like this from her are something that has gotten me through tough times, so I wanted spread the kindness around to anyone affected by what's happened in Orlando.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Very sweet of her.

Does someone understand the lyrics of the song?

Who is the person "standing on the side of the stage"?

The way I see it, a man is passing away (her father, her grandfather, who knows) and she's entering the room. Everyone is sad at first, but when he is about to pass, everyone is friendly and silent. Someone is holding Stevie's arm.

But the rest of the lyrics are kinda confusing to me. My interpretation of the whole thing could be very wrong.

Edit: Ah, the person standing on the side of the stage is an angel, and the song is about someone dying of AIDS. Sad, but appropriate. Do people know what HIV is not a death sentence now, though? Unrelated to the song, I get the impression people still think HIV = AIDS = death, but it's just totally different now.

Last edited by twinmatrix; 06-20-2016 at 10:55 AM..
Old 06-20-2016, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
Very sweet of her.

The way I see it, a man is passing away (her father, her grandfather, who knows) and she's entering the room. Everyone is sad at first, but when he is about to pass, everyone is friendly and silent. Someone is holding Stevie's arm.

But the rest of the lyrics are kinda confusing to me. My interpretation of the whole thing could be very wrong.

Edit: Ah, the person standing on the side of the stage is an angel, and the song is about someone dying of AIDS. Sad, but appropriate. Do people know what HIV is not a death sentence now, though? Unrelated to the song, I get the impression people still think HIV = AIDS = death, but it's just totally different now.
At the time she wrote this, people were dying of AIDS/ARC/HIV at a rapid rate. I think of Freddie Mercury and all those before him.

This song was also on the Sweet November soundtrack from 2001 movie.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:28 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Very sweet of her.

Yes, it is definitely about AIDS. Here is what Stevie said about the song on the Nicksflix in 2001:

"On the 4th day of compassion I was impressed to write a poem about aids and about the angel that I do believe in my heart is there for us! I call her the 'passageway angel'. The next night I typed it up from my notes, and added the last verse. This song holds a very special place in my heart. I hope you enjoy it!"
Old 06-20-2016, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Lisa.She's so beautiful,sweet and wonderful person.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-20-2016, 07:21 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa W View Post
You are welcome. It's been such a sad week and I was so glad to see Stevie step up and offer her condolences with her music and words. Gestures like this from her are something that has gotten me through tough times, so I wanted spread the kindness around to anyone affected by what's happened in Orlando.
I agree, Stevie always has a way of sending positive energy into the universe!
Old 06-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Very sweet of her.
Do people know what HIV is not a death sentence now, though? Unrelated to the song, I get the impression people still think HIV = AIDS = death, but it's just totally different now.
Only for those who can afford an insurance policy without a cap on prescription coverage, or one with a small or no deductible (because labwork twice a year can be $3500+), or if you're skilled enough to have a job that offers good medical benefits.

Otherwise, you're right - HIV isn't a death sentence - if you can afford the required care and medication cocktails. My meds - I only take two - are $2000+ monthly without prescription coverage, and one is a generic! Thank goodness for my job (which I despise, by the way) for offering high quality health insurance and paying almost 100% of the premiums.

On topic, it was very sweet of Stevie to share her demo and to offer a dedication.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-25-2016, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Eddie Vedder, Trent Reznor And Thom Yorke Sign Billboard Letter To Congress Concerning Gun Violence

KYLE DEAN JUNE 23RD, 2016 - 7:31 PM music mxdwn

http://music.mxdwn.com/2016/06/23/ne...-gun-violence/

The tragic events that recently happened in Orlando, including the largest mass shooting in U.S. history and the murder of Voice contestant Christina Grimmie, has spawned more than 150 musicians to sign an open letter to Congress to petition for an end to gun violence.

Billboard magazine penned and organized the letter to Congress, and Pearl Jam’s Eddie Vedder, Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor, and Radiohead’s Thom Yorke are the most recent to sign. Other artists who have already signed and supported the letter include, Paul McCartney, Lady Gaga, Stevie Nicks, Beck, Iggy Pop, Mike McCready, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Kid Cudi, and Michael Stipe.

The letter reads,“As leading artists and executives in the music industry, we are adding our voices to the chorus of Americans demanding change”. It also informs us how serious this issue has become, “Music always has been celebrated communally, on dancefloors and at concert halls. But this life-affirming ritual, like so many other daily experiences — going to school or church or work—now is threatened, because of gun violence in this country.”

Other artists that have also signed and backed the Billboard letter are Alicia Keys, Billy Joel, Pusha T, Vic Mensa, Common, Cher, Questlove, Zayn Malik, Barbra Streisand, Calvin Harris, and more (full list below).

The letter highlights one factor to the reoccurring shootings, “The one thing that connects the recent tragedies in Orlando is that it is far too easy for dangerous people to get their hands on guns”. The letter calls on Congress to do more, “We call on Congress to do more to prevent the gun violence that kills more than 90 Americans every day and injures hundreds more,” and specifically asks Congress to:

Require a background check for every gun sale
Block suspected terrorists from buying guns
Old 06-29-2016, 05:28 PM
Ledgie

God, I love that woman.

I'm not a crier but--REAL TEARS