Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-20-2002, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Holiday Road

Does anyone know who sings the backing vocals (the oohooh bit)
on Holiday road? Sounds like Stevie , but if it is why is she not credited anywhere? Or is it Lindsey's own voice in a higher pitch?
Anyone ?
Old 08-20-2002, 08:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

i'm almost entirely sure its LB himself doing all the vocals.
Old 08-20-2002, 09:53 AM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 08-20-2002, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey has never had any of the other Mac vocalists on either of his three solo albums but Stevie had him on TISL and Chris had him on her solo album too. Just thought I'd point that out

Matt
Old 08-20-2002, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey was the first of the Rumours Macsters to have Mac mates guest on a solo album. Mick's on "Trouble" and Christine is on "Shadow of the West" on Law & Order.

Woops, sorry Chili. Same thought at the same time!

Last edited by Les; 08-20-2002 at 04:39 PM..
Old 08-20-2002, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not quite accurate, Matt.

Christine sang backgrounds on "Shadows Of The West" on "Law & Order".

Well, it looks like you beat me to the punch on that one, Les.
Old 08-20-2002, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default DUH!

I completely forgot about Shadow Of The West!

Matt
Old 08-20-2002, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't forget that a couple of Christine's "one-off" recordings even though BILLED as "Christine McVie & Friends" was for all intents & purposes, Fleetwood Mac (just minus Stevie Nicks):

"Can't Help Falling In Love With You":

Christine: keyboards, vocals
Lindsey: guitar, vocals
John: bass
Mick: drums & percussion

"Roll With Me, Henry":

Christine: piano, vocals
Billy Burnette: rhythm guitar, answer vocals
Rick Vito: lead guitar
John: bass
Mick: drums
Steve Douglas: sax (Duane Eddy's sax player)
Old 08-20-2002, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Something I find odd

Lindsey's invited everyone except Stevie to help out on his albums. Although John never appeared on one, during the Dance's "isn't that weird" story, Lindsey mentions inviting him to lay down bass for his "upcoming" solo album.

Of course, Stevie didn't invite him until TISL, but still.

Perhaps it's because, since Stevie was so visible in the group, having her on a solo album would equate a Fleetwood Mac song to the public? Or was it an intentional snub, considering their history? I just think it's weird that Lindsey would rather manipulate his voice to sound like Stevie than actually ask her to participate on something of his! At least pre-Dance.

Just an observation.

Old 08-21-2002, 10:30 AM
Senior Ledgie

It was that recording of "can't help falling in love" (from the aptly titled film "A fine mess") that brought the band together (in 1986), and which lead to the recording of Tango in the Night.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Something I find odd

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
Lindsey's invited everyone except Stevie to help out on his albums. Although John never appeared on one, during the Dance's "isn't that weird" story, Lindsey mentions inviting him to lay down bass for his "upcoming" solo album.

Perhaps it's because, since Stevie was so visible in the group, having her on a solo album would equate a Fleetwood Mac song to the public? Or was it an intentional snub, considering their history? I just think it's weird that Lindsey would rather manipulate his voice to sound like Stevie than actually ask her to participate on something of his! At least pre-Dance.

Just an observation.
I think he's made the observation that he's been in that situation (at least twice now - TITN and GOS) and he's said that "it's one step away from a Fleetwood Mac album". In general I think he thinks it'll be too commercial if Stevie made an appearance. No one in the band has that much command in the commercial eye except for Stevie. I'd think he would just want to separate himself from the notion that it's automatically FM if she sings on his songs by just avoiding it altogether.
-Brian
P.S. Regarding The Dance, it seems to me Stevie wasn't really ever in the plans with GOS. It looks to me that the way it went was that John, Mick, Lindsey, and Christine were laying down tracks and they all thought "well hey, let's get Stevie in on this too". I don't know, it just really seems to me that there was (and may still be) the band, and Stevie with the band. That's just me probably...
-Brian
Old 08-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Something I find odd

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
I tend to think that the need to gain some individuality from each other was important to both of them. Stevie has certainly come right out and said that. I don't think Lindsey has said that in quite so many words, but he's hinted at similar feelings. There are times when you just want something to be "me" and not "we." All five probably felt that at times, but I think the feeling was especially strong between the ex-couples, and this ex-couple in particular.

Also, their musical tastes and career goals became significantly divergent at the stage when they began their solo careers. That didn't preclude either of them asking the other to appear, but it probably made the prospect of it more daunting.
Old 08-21-2002, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Probably one of the biggest reasons Stevie & Lindsey seem to have felt a more pressing need to "prove themselves" to each other, while Christine and John did not, was the fact that Christine was very successful prior to joining FM, and of course John was successful inside and outside of FM before Chris joined.

Because of that "package deal" thing, I imagine there were a lot of little insecurities running around inside of Lindsey & Stevie's heads, and a burning need to prove that they could each make it without the other.

Les is right, Stevie has mentioned this more often that Lindsey has, but Sulumith has a great Lindsey quote on this subject in her signature....
"I fought to prove something to her as well as to myself. You wonder what you gave up in order to prove that."

I've said this before, and my hippie side is totally coming out, but to me, the most impressive thing about both Stevie & Lindsey as people, is their ability to finally, after all the years of rancor, work together, and *want* to do so.

Johnny Stew
Old 08-28-2002, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Thanx All

Thanx for all the feedback you guys and i think i have to get shadow of the west out again (didn't know about that chris vocal on it.
Old 10-19-2020, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All these years of listening to this song- I never really considered the female vocal. When I was young I assumed it to be Stevie. Later in life I assumed it to be some unknown singer or even a girlfriend.
Never in a million years did I ever consider it was Lindsey himself.
After listening to it today though, I decided to look up who it was and couldn't find anything.
I feel silly asking this, but can somebody confirm it really was Lindsey after all? Considering what he did on TITN its clear he was able to pull off just about any sonic trickery he wanted. Even so, for 1983 that's just so convincing.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-19-2020, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
All these years of listening to this song- I never really considered the female vocal. When I was young I assumed it to be Stevie. Later in life I assumed it to be some unknown singer or even a girlfriend.
Never in a million years did I ever consider it was Lindsey himself.
After listening to it today though, I decided to look up who it was and couldn't find anything.
I feel silly asking this, but can somebody confirm it really was Lindsey after all? Considering what he did on TITN its clear he was able to pull off just about any sonic trickery he wanted. Even so, for 1983 that's just so convincing.
When Big Love came out many speculated the grunting sounds were Stevie even though they sounded nothing like her. It was Lindsey's voice. I hope he does write a book and talk at length what he did with Tango.
I was shocked, floored and could not believe that the Family Man bridge was not Stevie. It sounds like her but when I heard it was not her, I could hear it was Lindsey and it blew my mind.