The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:56 AM

These Were The 10 Bestselling Albums And Singles On Record Store Day 2017

This year, Record Store Day turned 10 years old, and the annual event celebrated by recruiting some of the biggest names in the business to release special editions, live recordings and previously unheard collections, as is the case every time one of the music industry's favorite days rolls around again.

When compared with last year, the 10th edition of Record Store Day was another triumph, with sales on the rise in most categories. According to data compiled and shared by BuzzAngle Music, total album sales in independent record shops on April 22 (the date Record Store Day took place this year) were up 6% from 2016. When looking at specifically vinyl album sales, that number swells to a 14% rise. It seems the public is no longer as interested in vinyl singles as they once were, as sales of that format were down 3% from the year before.

When Record Store Day sales numbers (which the organization doesn’t release to the public) are compared to the weekend prior, when there is no special promotion taking place, it is clear how effective the event truly is. Vinyl album sales on April 22 at indie stores rose just over 2,600% from the weekend before, while total album sales (including CDs) at small record shops were up 1,274%.

BuzzAngle also ranked the bestselling albums and singles on that day, and while many new artists do release their material on vinyl these days, the biggest names from decades past still performed the best, with rabid fans snapping up special items while they were still available.

These were the top 10 bestselling albums in independent record stores on Record Store Day 2017:

1. Grateful Dead - N.E. Garden Auditorium, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 7/29/66

2. David Bowie - Cracked Actor

3. The Doors - Live At The Matrix ’67

4. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Live From Welcome To 1979

5. The Cure - Greatest Hits Acoustic

6. The Cure - Greatest Hits

7. Sublime - Badfish

8. Stevie Nicks - Rarities

9. The Claypool Lennon Delirium - Lime and Limpid

10. The Notorious B.I.G. - Born Again

These were the top 10 bestselling singles in independent record stores on Record Store Day 2017:

1. The Beatles - “Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane”

2. John Williams - “Star Wars: A New Hope”

3. U2 - “Red Hill Mining Town”

4. Pearl Jam - “State of Love and Trust / Breath”

5. Pink Floyd - “Interstellar Overdrive”

6. Prince - “Little Red Corvette / 1999”

7. The Smiths - “Boy With The Thorn In His Side”

8. Alice In Chains - “What The Hell Have I b/w Get Born Again”

9. Rush - “Cygnus X-1”

10. Def Leppard - Def Leppard EP

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmci.../#3345be5d1b7e
Old 05-02-2017, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
These Were The 10 Bestselling Albums And Singles On Record Store Day 2017

These were the top 10 bestselling albums in independent record stores on Record Store Day 2017:

1. Grateful Dead - N.E. Garden Auditorium, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 7/29/66

2. David Bowie - Cracked Actor

3. The Doors - Live At The Matrix ’67

4. Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit - Live From Welcome To 1979

5. The Cure - Greatest Hits Acoustic

6. The Cure - Greatest Hits

7. Sublime - Badfish

8. Stevie Nicks - Rarities

9. The Claypool Lennon Delirium - Lime and Limpid

10. The Notorious B.I.G. - Born Again

These were the top 10 bestselling singles in independent record stores on Record Store Day 2017:

1. The Beatles - “Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane”

2. John Williams - “Star Wars: A New Hope”

3. U2 - “Red Hill Mining Town”

4. Pearl Jam - “State of Love and Trust / Breath”

5. Pink Floyd - “Interstellar Overdrive”

6. Prince - “Little Red Corvette / 1999”

7. The Smiths - “Boy With The Thorn In His Side”

8. Alice In Chains - “What The Hell Have I b/w Get Born Again”

9. Rush - “Cygnus X-1”

10. Def Leppard - Def Leppard EP

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmci.../#3345be5d1b7e
Huh. No Mirage? That should drive some folks on the Rumours forum crazy.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:38 AM

Sister Act 2: How Haim Found Their Way Back With 'Something 
to Tell You'

Este is wearing a crescent-moon necklace that Stevie Nicks – a big Haim fan – gave each sister as a gift. "She took us to Moonshadows," Danielle says, "this restaurant in Malibu, and was like, 'This is where we used to hang out,' telling us stories about Don Henley and stuff."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...ll-you-w480244

Feminine Growl
Anna Rose doesn't conform to traditional stereotypes of the female—or male—rock star

Rose gladly lists some of the strongest women in music as influences. She considers Patti Smith to be a pioneer and incredible role model. Sheryl Crow showed people you don't have to be 21 years old to make it. Stevie Nicks reigns as an incomparable vocal idol. And for her personally, Janis Joplin, Joni Mitchell and Bonnie Raitt paved the way.

http://www.bendsource.com/bend/stell...nt?oid=3163016
Old 05-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know how to embed but Haim briefly discuss meeting "personal hero" Stevie on "Last Questions":

https://youtu.be/vBt-Nm0eKw0?t=1m22s
Old 05-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Here, you just have to click with the right and select "copy embed code" (or something similar):

Old 05-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rooms on Fire was played earlier today on BBC Radio 2. After the song finished the presenter said "Isn't that the best song? We should just play that every week."

I have to say, even after all these years ROF sounds fantastic. What a single it was. One of Stevie's best and I think if it was released earlier in her solo career it would've done even better. Such a tune.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Rooms on Fire was played earlier today on BBC Radio 2. After the song finished the presenter said "Isn't that the best song? We should just play that every week."

I have to say, even after all these years ROF sounds fantastic. What a single it was. One of Stevie's best and I think if it was released earlier in her solo career it would've done even better. Such a tune.
Man, do I wish this song would EVER be played on any radio station AT ALL. It's fantastic and it's not over played like a few of her other singles. It's a shame, really.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnwndrs View Post
Man, do I wish this song would EVER be played on any radio station AT ALL. It's fantastic and it's not over played like a few of her other singles. It's a shame, really.
The last truly great single by Stevie ,Fleetwood Mac or any of it' s members.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
The last truly great single by Stevie ,Fleetwood Mac or any of it' s members.
I disagree I love Lindsey's song Countdown.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie joined Harry Styles from One Direction at his show earlier last night. Here's a clip of Landslide I found on Instagram. She's been pretty quiet since the tour ended. I was wondering if she'd make any one-off appearances.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUTTCEeBm_J/?hl=en
Old 05-20-2017, 03:45 AM
Senior Ledgie

I saw this. I actually don't mind it.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:14 AM

Was Chris Cornell taking ‘the world’s deadliest’ prescription medication?

In speaking out against a medical examiner’s preliminary finding that Chris Cornell died of suicide by hanging, his family said he was not suicidal and suggested that side effects of prescription drugs could have led to his death.

Specifically, they point out that the Seattle-based Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman may have taken “an extra Ativan or two” before his death and wonder if this commonly prescribed anti-anxiety medication affected his actions, People reported. Soundgarden lead vocalist Chris Cornell performs in concert at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, in San Francisco, Calif., on Thursday, July 21, 2011.

Cornell, 52, was found in his hotel room at the MGM Grand Detroit following his grunge band’s performance Wednesday night. According to his wife Vicky, Cornell was slurring his words when she spoke to him on the phone after his show. He admitted to her that he had taken more than his prescribed dose of Ativan. Vicky Cornell said the call prompted her to contact security to ask that they check on him.

Cornell family’s attorney Kirk Pasich said in a statement that the family is “disturbed” by inferences that Cornell knowingly and intentionally took his life. Pasich said such conclusions shouldn’t be made before the results of toxicology tests come in.

“Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris — or if any substances contributed to his demise,” Pasich said. “Chris, a recovering addict, had a prescription for Ativan and may have taken more Ativan than recommended dosages. The family believes that if Chris took his life, he did not know what he was doing, and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions.”

Ativan is the brand name for lorazepam,a benzodiazepine, that is used to treat anxiety, drug withdrawal, agoraphobia and seizure disorders, among other things. According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, serious side effects of using Ativan include worsening depression, unusual mood or behavior and suicidal thoughts.

Like all benzodiazepines, Ativan is mostly intended for short-term use and comes with a risk of dependance and addiction. The addiction and recovery website The Fix puts dependance on “benzos” in more dire terms, describing addiction to drugs in this class as particularly grueling and potentially lethal.

“When it comes to prescription drugs that are not only able to kill you but can drag out the final reckoning for years on end, with worsening misery at every step of the way, it is hard to top the benzodiazepines,” writer Christopher Byron says in the 2011 post, which is headlined “Is this the world’s deadliest pill?”
The brand name for other benzos include Valium, famously known as “mother’s little helper”; Restoril, which was developed as a short-term treatment for insomnia but became known as the “date rape” drug; and Xanax, which at one point may have accounted for 60 percent of all hospital admissions for addiction, Byron said.

Then there is Klonopin, the brand name for the pill known as clonazepam, which was originally brought to the market in 1975 as a medication for epileptic seizures. Since then, Klonopin, as well as other benzos, have become “a prescription of choice for drug abusers from Hollywood to Wall Street.”

Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks spoke openly in interviews about overcoming her addiction to Klonopin, the Fix says. But other celebrities didn’t survive their experience with benzodiazepines: model and actress Margaux Hemingway committed suicide by overdosing on a barbiturate-benzodiazepine cocktail in 1996 and Hollywood producer Don Simpson died from an unintentional benzo-based overdose. Author David Foster Wallace, who was suffering from profound depression, was prescribed Klonopin before he hanged himself in his back yard in September 2008.

With regard to the Soundgarden singer, Vicky Cornell’s statement Friday describes her husband as a devoted father and husband whose world revolved around his family first and his music second.

“Chris’s death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart that will never be filled,” she said about her husband, whom she wed in Paris in 2004. Together, they have two children, Toni, 12, and Christopher, 11. The singer also had a daughter Lillian, 16, from his previous marriage to Susan Silver.

Vicky Cornell said her husband flew home for Mother’s Day to spend time with his children and stayed through Wednesday before flying to Detroit to perform. During his visit home, she said, he talked about vacation plans for Memorial Day weekend and “other things we wanted to do.”

“What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details,” she said. “I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life.”

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/1...on-medication/
Old 05-21-2017, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's so strange to hear audio from Michigan with Cornell sounding chipper, just hours before taking his own life. His wife said he sounded normal on the phone too.

Michele
Old 05-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
It's so strange to hear audio from Michigan with Cornell sounding chipper, just hours before taking his own life. His wife said he sounded normal on the phone too.

Michele
I watched some YouTube videos of it and he seems a little off. There was an article that
reiterated as much. I don't know what to think. People are trying to rent his room at the hotel.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I watched some YouTube videos of it and he seems a little off. There was an article that
reiterated as much. I don't know what to think. People are trying to rent his room at the hotel.
People are awful. I heard the same thing about people trying to stay in the hotel room where Whitney Houston was found.

Michele