User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
After Stevie did 24k I just stopped caring about her solo career. Then her refusing to be involved in a new Mac album sealed that. I don't have any regrets I missed her solo show.
Unfortunately, I'm starting to feel this way, too. I don't want to believe that this is the way Stevie feels because I'm such a huge fan, but I can't help feeling disappointed at her attitude about never recording again ever, and honestly I'm a little pissed off. You can add me to that list of unhappy people on here.

But I am glad that she has such a rich discography because I still listen to all her music solo and with FM all the time! :-) Just kinda have to hold on and cherish her legacy, I guess...
Old 03-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's been that way for me since "Behind the Mask" came out. It was obvious to me back then that she wasn't making Fleetwood Mac a major priority as far as albums go (how she didn't do "Whole Lotta Trouble" with four of the best blues musicians is beyond me). And, I still kind of feel that way. Her Mac songs between 1975-82 were all classics, and most of her Mac songs 1987 onward range between unlistenable to very good.

Judge for yourself:

Rhiannon
Crystal
Landslide
Dreams
I Don't Want To Know
Gold Dust Woman
Silver Springs
Sara
Storms
Sisters of the Moon
Angel
Beautiful Child
Fireflies
That's Alright
Gypsy
Straight Back
--
Seven Wonders
Welcome to the Room . . . Sara
What I See You Again
No Questions Asked
Love Is Dangerous
Affairs of the Heart
Freedom
The Second Time
Paper Doll
Twisted
Sweet Girl
Illume (911)
Thrown Down
Say You Will
Smile At You
Running Through the Garden
Silver Girl
Everybody Finds Out
Destiny Rules
Goodbye Baby
Not Make Believe
Without You

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-16-2017, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't agree with many of her comments as of lately at all. Sales shouldn't matter at this point and I wish she would have done some recording with FM for a final album. I absolutely adore her last two solo albums and think she still has it in her to contribute some great tunes and vocals for an FM album. I don't hate her and won't stop listening to her music. But I wish she felt differently.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnwndrs View Post
Unfortunately, I'm starting to feel this way, too. I don't want to believe that this is the way Stevie feels because I'm such a huge fan, but I can't help feeling disappointed at her attitude about never recording again ever, and honestly I'm a little pissed off. You can add me to that list of unhappy people on here.

But I am glad that she has such a rich discography because I still listen to all her music solo and with FM all the time! :-) Just kinda have to hold on and cherish her legacy, I guess...
I loved 24K Gold. Thought it was one of her best solo albums ever, however, I don't really like her anymore. She keeps belittling her own band and building other bands like the Heartbreakers up. She is always blaming her failures on Lindsey and yet, he made her a star. She is spoiled and self centered. She won't record with Fleetwood Mac even though it would only be a month out of her life. Plus, she is just fake - all the fake praise for Glee, Twilight... she is not real, she is always conniving.

The big reason is though is I can't stand her belittling her band mates anymore. What kind of person is she? Certainly not trustworthy. She is coming to Columbus Ohio and I won't be there. She has pretty much lost me.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
After Stevie did 24k I just stopped caring about her solo career. Then her refusing to be involved in a new Mac album sealed that. I don't have any regrets I missed her solo show.
Because you disliked 24KG for some reason?
Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I loved 24K Gold. Thought it was one of her best solo albums ever, however, I don't really like her anymore. She keeps belittling her own band and building other bands like the Heartbreakers up. She is always blaming her failures on Lindsey and yet, he made her a star. She is spoiled and self centered. She won't record with Fleetwood Mac even though it would only be a month out of her life. Plus, she is just fake - all the fake praise for Glee, Twilight... she is not real, she is always conniving.

The big reason is though is I can't stand her belittling her band mates anymore. What kind of person is she? Certainly not trustworthy. She is coming to Columbus Ohio and I won't be there. She has pretty much lost me.
I love you!!!
Old 03-16-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
It's been that way for me since "Behind the Mask" came out. It was obvious to me back then that she wasn't making Fleetwood Mac a major priority as far as albums go (how she didn't do "Whole Lotta Trouble" with four of the best blues musicians is beyond me). And, I still kind of feel that way. Her Mac songs between 1975-82 were all classics, and most of her Mac songs 1987 onward range between unlistenable to very good.

Judge for yourself:

Rhiannon
Crystal
Landslide
Dreams
I Don't Want To Know
Gold Dust Woman
Silver Springs
Sara
Storms
Sisters of the Moon
Angel
Beautiful Child
Fireflies
That's Alright
Gypsy
Straight Back
--
Seven Wonders
What I See You Again
No Questions Asked
Love Is Dangerous
Affairs of the Heart
Freedom
The Second Time
Paper Doll
Twisted
Sweet Girl
Illume (911)
Thrown Down
Say You Will
Smile At You
Silver Girl
Everybody Finds Out
Destiny Rules
Goodbye Baby
Not Make Believe
Without You
Oh my God... You're right!!!! just by comparison. .

To take you a step further.. Her solo career does the same thing.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Oh my God... You're right!!!! just by comparison. .

To take you a step further.. Her solo career does the same thing.
Well I can say "everybody is different" and I honestly don't listen to much of anything Stevie did before the Tusk era. I was born in 1986 and I was brought up on 80's and 90's music and that would put everything from Mirage to the TISL era in that category. Wether we as fans like it or not, Stevie is and always has been influenced by current music and her output from these eras shows that. So your second category hits home with me more than your first, and a lot of that may have to do with the fact that a lot of those 1975-1982 songs are just overplayed and overrated, but for fans my age and younger, we might just find the second era of 1987 and on more fascinating and intriguing because they reflect their time period. Klonopin or no klonopin, and also, maybe I'm over analyzing this

And I have to add, She was already around 40 years old in the late 80's and back then that seemed ancient. Today, though, it doesn't seem that way. She had a lot of "Co–writes" during this period, but it was probably because of burn out and the klonopin, and age. And she lacked inspiration during this time. Drugs have a lot to do with the "quality" of the songs throughout a music career with longevity, and it will show. After 1986, cocaine was no longer in the picture, and all of a sudden, tranquilizers were. But I can't deny the fact, that I like A LOT of her material from 1986-87 onward. But again, like I said, it's probably because it's not over played and overrated like her stuff from 1975-83. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by svnwndrs; 03-16-2017 at 10:54 PM..
Old 03-16-2017, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She is always blaming her failures on Lindsey and yet, he made her a star
Regarding a previous comment, I don't recall Stevie ever blaming any failures she has had because of Lindsay Buckingham???
Old 03-16-2017, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Judge for yourself:

Rhiannon
Crystal
Landslide
Dreams
I Don't Want To Know
Gold Dust Woman
Silver Springs
Sara
Storms
Sisters of the Moon
Angel
Beautiful Child
Fireflies
That's Alright
Gypsy
Straight Back
--
Seven Wonders
What I See You Again
No Questions Asked
Love Is Dangerous
Affairs of the Heart
Freedom
The Second Time
Paper Doll
Twisted
Sweet Girl
Illume (911)
Thrown Down
Say You Will
Smile At You
Silver Girl
Everybody Finds Out
Destiny Rules
Goodbye Baby
Not Make Believe
Without You
Much of this is true, though I think five of her nine SYW songs are as strong as her best work, and while Sweet Girl isn't among her best, it too is a strong effort.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Much of this is true, though I think five of her nine SYW songs are as strong as her best work, and while Sweet Girl isn't among her best, it too is a strong effort.
She definitely has moments, but overall, her songs largely lack the dynamics of her earlier work.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-17-2017, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by svnwndrs View Post
But I can't deny the fact, that I like A LOT of her material from 1986-87 onward. But again, like I said, it's probably because it's not over played and overrated like her stuff from 1975-83. Just my 2 cents.
75-83 is overrated, and you prefer the later stuff?

Well, that makes 3 of you in the world.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She definitely has moments, but overall, her songs largely lack the dynamics of her earlier work.
To be fair you could say this about anyone when they get past their prime. Their weaknesses come out. I agree a lot of Stevie's more recent songs are just missing something that her earlier work had but I also think that while Lindsey can still write a good piece, he's got too many noises in his head so he veers towards overproducing. Really you could say it for probably the majority of older artists. Like Paul McCartney for example, he's literally Paul McCartney, but except for his collab with Rihanna and Kanye West, I don't think he's done anything really that great for a very long time.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post

YES! ITA!
Aside from what you wrote, I got lost during IYD and still have to vent about it.
The cover alone, Stevie with a white horse, a cover from a young adult romance novel, I did not buy this **** for over a year, just because I don't want this kind of adolescent bull**** near me. But I listened to the album, I really WANTED to like it. She sings duets with Dave Stewart, who also produced - she must be deaf, probably a sideeffect from touring so much. There is no memorable tune at all. When a duet with Lindsey Buckingham is the only acceptable song on an album, I know it's a really bad album (I really don't care for Lindsey as a singer, but he is gold when DS comes in).
AND then the lyrics: Vampires, Twilight? It wasn't that she wasn't even trying, it looked like a bad-writing contest against herself, is she internally 15 or what?
What irks me now is the fact that for all her talk about money, she obviously had no idea who her target group/her fans are when she did IYD. Adoloscents don't buy a Stevie album, period. Noone else could stomach that one.

Last edited by AncientQueen; 03-17-2017 at 04:06 AM..
Old 03-17-2017, 04:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildHeart67 View Post
Regarding a previous comment, I don't recall Stevie ever blaming any failures she has had because of Lindsay Buckingham???
Huh! Do you have selective memory? Have you ignored the last 30 years? That is all she does.