Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Being able to see FM live for the first (and last) time in 2004 was a big thrill that I wouldn't want to begrudge any new fans, but given the reality of these performers as living individuals who have to haul ass all over the world, strain their vocal cords for hours every night, and put up with each other and the rest of the circus on a day-in day-out basis, I wish they would just go the way of, say, ABBA--let the fans enjoy the excitement and pleasure of experiencing their songs live through official vehicles like the Mamma Mia musical, while the actual legends themselves mostly refrain from the grueling tours and just appear in a variety of occasional fun group and individual projects, their reputations, legacy, fanbase, and health all the more intact for it.

Hello Nancy and others!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:42 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Processing the difficult news of the day

Hi everyone,

I feel that this is one of the few places to process this information where people might understand what I'm feeling. This is just ghastly. I was in an 8 hour work orientation meeting today with ability to check emails only on scattered breaks throughout the day. I only saw the news at 4:00, and had about a minute to speed read and digest one article. After putting away my phone, I had tears in my eyes and had to wipe them away while trying to focus on my meeting content.

Having been a 7 year old in 1977 (!) who immediately latched onto Fleetwood Mac, the "Fab 5" lineup has been my lifelong favorite. Later, I explored Mac's back catalog, and became admirers of the pre BN incarnations as well. However, in 1987 regarding the upcoming tour, I had a difficult time enjoying FM without Lindsey's participation. I bought the next FM album, did not like it as much, and my interest in their present work (1990) waned. I just focused on the back catalog. In an age without the Internet, it seemed to me that it was much harder to keep Fleetwood Mac in my day-to-day life than it is today. So, at the time I did not think there was much chance for a reconvening. I found solace in my old vinyl, VHS tapes, and looking at old magazine articles/concert programs.

What a happy day years later when they decided to reunite! It seemed that there was hope for a long future---they weathered difficult times, and seemed to have gratitude for the public's long-standing affection for them.

It's been a shame that difficulties between them have gotten to the point of being too unpleasant for some band members to endure, and compromises have to be made that violate a sense of integrity. It seems quite a distance from the five people who originally delighted in their ability to click together musically in such an uncanny way.

All this to say is that it is hard for me to believe/accept that today's news is how it stands. I am having a tough time understanding what might have happened recently that brought things to such a head. My understanding was that in 2017, all members were on the public record as saying there would be a big world tour in 2018. I was surprised when I heard that Lindsey wanted to do a solo album/tour in 2018. I wondered how he would have the time after Buckingham/McVie wrapped the tour in November 2017, and before the tour rehearsal. I was puzzled, but cautiously optimistic, and very much looking forward to a year that was going to bring a Sirius channel, new LB solo album, and big tour.

Not knowing full details of how far one books tours for such a major band, I would assume (which is dangerous!) that signatures would have to be on contracts at some point in 2017 for promoters to book venues, plan a tour itinerary, in order for all members to be able to plan their professional commitments. If there was some kind of contractual obligation where they were on the hook for a tour, you would think they would have to honor the contract or perhaps face financial penalties if they backed out. (Maybe there's a lawyer on this Board who knows!) So, if Lindsey wasn't prepared to participate in touring, and the band had to honor a "Fleetwood Mac" tour, maybe FM's hand was legally forced. What a pickle to be in.

As one of the Variety articles stated, it would have been more tactful to say that Lindsey was not participating in this year's tour. That's less drastic and final, and leaves opportunities for partnership open after tour obligations. By leaving it open like this, Lindsey's reputation would not be damaged by using words like "fired". That's a harsh word to use and could really tarnish his "brand"/reputation.

I can see that the casual "public" would be confused if Fleetwood Mac minus Lindsey is out there touring, and Lindsey is simultaneously playing as a solo act. Again, what a mess and tough situation to be in for all concerned. Even without giving the public all the details of what happened, there could have been a more diplomatic way to release the information so as to honor his history with the band.

I'm devastated. It's a shame that something could not have been worked out to preserve the LB/SN era of Fleetwood Mac. Especially in light of Tom Petty's passing. The death of an age-peer like that is often a wake-up call where you appreciate loved ones and realize that we're all mortal and have to go at some point. One never knows the future regarding health issues, and this tour could be the last due to those reasons. It makes me sad to think with that consideration in mind, the conflict could not be resolved. My only solace is the phrase (paraphrasing), "Lindsey is not joining us on this tour." With luck, maybe he will join them again down the line, if everyone's health/willingness to be road-warriors holds up.

All this information is hard to swallow. I respect Mike Campbell's musicianship, and I don't have much familiarity with Neil Finn. I guess what's difficult for me to work through is having a band member replaced when that person is still alive. I have an easier time understanding continuing on with the legacy of a band if members have passed away, and new members are added. But, it is harder for me to embrace that if something cannot be worked out when all are still healthy and have the ability to perform as a band.

I'm working my way through this, and am not sure how I'm going to be feeling about the whole thing as time goes on. I'm grateful for the Internet (for the most part!) to be able to share thoughts with a Fleetwood Mac fan base that understands, the ability to listen to all these great bootleg recordings of the band and its members, read old reviews, and see great photos of the past. Why, my Fleetwood Mac collection has grown considerably even in the last decade thanks to the Internet!

As so many have said, I love this combination of artists so much, and it saddens me greatly that this was confirmed today.

I send lots of love to LB and his family---what a difficult couple of months it must have been for them. I send good wishes to everyone hurting in this group, too.

Thanks for bearing with my long post---I had to get it out here.

Amy
Old 04-10-2018, 01:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I did not even one post here, sorry, I just can't by now. How is that even possible from people around 70? I don't care what Lindsey said or did offstage, this is just an embarrassment. And two replacement guitarists - didn't FM learn anything? I see they are now the background band Stevie wanted for so long. Noone will ever question her, control her or tell her what to do. She must be in heaven. I'm not exactly awaiting her dramatic interview where she shares her suffering during the last 40 years, but well, that is what is going to happen anyway.

This is the end of my 41 years with FM, sad, but not without a benefit, I will save so much money when they tour, since I'm not going to throw one cent even in the general direction of this FM revival band, since they don't even do it for the fun, they do it for the money. Not with me.

I have only one question: Why, Christine? Is she legally tied to FM?
This makes me especially sad/mad. I cannot understand why she would do an album and go on tour with Lindsey, only to stand against him with the rest of the band now.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:38 AM
NotonRodeo
This message has been deleted by NotonRodeo. Reason: Never mind, I'm done
Old 04-10-2018, 01:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Amy, great post! Thank you.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
I wonder how all of those who tell people to give this lineup a chance would feel if it was Stevie who was thrown out. I bet you would be able to hear the screaming from Betelguese. There would be a shortage of lizard tongues and chicken livers while they cast their spells around the boiling cauldron.
Currently, I would say that throwing Stevie out would have been the far more logical and understandable action. No matter what happened between the bandmembers (and I'm not thinking that a simple Stevie/Lindsey spat/fight made this happen), Lindsey has been the backbone of this band for so long, while Stevie indulged whenever she felt like it, without any real interest or input. Her nagging over the last years, her diva behaviour often unprofessional, sometimes harmful to FMs legacy, while Lindsey played his ass off. I feel that FM without Stevie would still be an integer band, whereas FM without Lindsey is just, well, nothing but a cover band/Stevie background band.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:01 AM
Ledgie

Could Christine’s participation have anything to do with the fact that she told the band (not just Lindsey) that she wouldn’t leave again? Even though his concerns likely prompted her to say she wouldn’t leave again saying so could have left her in a tough spot with the rest of the band after he himself was out. When she always thanks the band for allowing her to come back she’s thanking the other four too. Not saying I don’t wish she didn’t go along with it just saying this could have been an issue
Old 04-10-2018, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Was it actually stated in any of today's articles that this is a "farewell tour?"
I know Christine said something like that around a year ago, but then Mick and Lindsey both said not necessarily so.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac95 View Post
Could Christine’s participation have anything to do with the fact that she told the band (not just Lindsey) that she wouldn’t leave again? Even though his concerns likely prompted her to say she wouldn’t leave again saying so could have left her in a tough spot with the rest of the band after he himself was out. When she always thanks the band for allowing her to come back she’s thanking the other four too. Not saying I don’t wish she didn’t go along with it just saying this could have been an issue
And who knows.....maybe the band did vote on it, with a 3-1 outcome....Christine being the only one objecting to the ouster!
Old 04-10-2018, 02:24 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Currently, I would say that throwing Stevie out would have been the far more logical and understandable action. No matter what happened between the bandmembers (and I'm not thinking that a simple Stevie/Lindsey spat/fight made this happen), Lindsey has been the backbone of this band for so long, while Stevie indulged whenever she felt like it, without any real interest or input. Her nagging over the last years, her diva behaviour often unprofessional, sometimes harmful to FMs legacy, while Lindsey played his ass off. I feel that FM without Stevie would still be an integer band, whereas FM without Lindsey is just, well, nothing but a cover band/Stevie background band.
You're right, Fleetwood Mac with Lindsey and without Stevie would have kept their artistic integrity intact, even at the cost of sales. Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey is just a bloated and hideously expensive karaoke act. Even the tribute bands would probably be more fun to watch.

Did Mick threaten to fire Stevie for making 24 KG and touring on it while refusing to participate in the last Fleetwood Mac album? No. But Lindsey wanting to make his own solo record? Goodbye and "best wishes" (not even a thank you by the way).

Last edited by NotonRodeo; 04-10-2018 at 02:29 AM..
Old 04-10-2018, 02:29 AM
Registered

How long would a Buckingham tour lasted if he released his solo record this spring or even summer? Two, three months? More than enough time for them to tour later in the fall. Do they have to do tour prep for songs they have done thousands of times?
Old 04-10-2018, 02:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Food for thought …

My preference would be LMJC, but as someone who has been in situations where someone in the band was clearly not working out, Lindsey’s behavior around the Classic shows and the public badmouthing of Classic West prior to the show would have been more than enough reason for him to get the axe. His lack of enthusiasm was apparent during the videos I’ve seen, and I’ve seen a few guys get fired for that.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-10-2018, 02:39 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
His daughter Leelee just posted a picture of all the Fleetwood Mac albums that Lindsey is on on her Instagram with the caption "Fleetwood Mac isn't Fleetwood Mac without you #prouddaughter". She's getting a lot of positive comments and is replying to some of them.
Somehow I do not find it surprising that there is an icon worshipper dissing Lindsey right on his daughter's Instagram saying that Lindsey can easily be replaced and is looking forward to life after him. Geez.

Last edited by NotonRodeo; 04-10-2018 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: Grammatical solecism
Old 04-10-2018, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How long would a Buckingham tour lasted if he released his solo record this spring or even summer? Two, three months? More than enough time for them to tour later in the fall. Do they have to do tour prep for songs they have done thousands of times?
Quote:
You're right, Fleetwood Mac with Lindsey and without Stevie would have kept their artistic integrity intact, even at the cost of sales. Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey is just a bloated and hideously expensive karaoke act. Even the tribute bands would probably be more fun to watch.

Did Mick threaten to fire Stevie for making 24 KG and touring on it while refusing to participate in the last Fleetwood Mac album? No. But Lindsey wanting to make his own solo record? Goodbye and "best wishes" (not aleven a thank you by the way).
I agree....why was it so vital to work around Stevie and her schedule, to the point that they had to change a Fleetwood Mac album into a Buckingham/McVie
album instead of just saying "Stevie won't be joining us on this album."

Plus....Lindsey's album was pretty much done and supposedly due out in January....then March.....then April....then shelved until next year....which leads me to believe that something's been going on for a while! They might have THOUGHT they had it all straightened out....but, obviously, that's not the case!
Old 04-10-2018, 02:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

His lack of enthusiasm was apparent during the videos I’ve seen, and I’ve seen a few guys get fired for that.
Guys with equal status?
Old 04-10-2018, 02:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't even mind so much that the band fired Lindsey, I just feel that they should have called it quits right then. Out of respect for the band, their legacy and their fans.