The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If I was in the audience, I would be relieved as hell.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 09-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

London Evening Standard by David Smyth, September 25, 2013

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/m...w-8838360.html

The four ongoing members of Fleetwood Mac performed for the first time since 2009, with an epic set list drawn from the late Seventies. While Stevie Nicks still possessed a voice that bewitched, Lindsey Buckingham was a fiery leader, thumping his chest to celebrate every new solo accomplished

Though a rumoured reunion with the long-absent Christine McVie did not materialise last night, the four ongoing members of one of rock's most turbulent bands looked like firm friends as Fleetwood Mac played in London for the first time since 2009.

It was all gushing introductions, a long hug for Lindsey Buckingham from Stevie Nicks, much hand-kissing and warm saluting. Given that most of their finest songs come from a period when their various couples were splintering painfully, time really is the great healer.

Most of an epic set list was drawn from that peerless period of the late Seventies when the Americans Nicks and Buckingham arrived to turn the bluesy Brits into superstars — The Chain, Tusk and Go Your Own Way all had energy to burn.

Nicks still possessed a voice that bewitched, especially on the acoustic Landslide. While even the engine room of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie had the occasional break, Buckingham was a fiery leader, thumping his chest to celebrate every new solo accomplished.

"There are quite a few chapters left in the book of Fleetwood Mac," he claimed, airing one likeable new song and a long lost rarity. It's been a fascinating read so far.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

4 out of 5 stars

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...ood-mac-review

Fleetwood Mac – review

O2 Arena, London, The Guardian

A blissful opening hour of punchy self-confidence is undermined by Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham's strange stage intimacy – they need Christine McVie to make it all gel

Those who have watched just a small selection of the many documentaries about Fleetwood Mac will know their two singer-songwriters, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, don't have a lot to do with each other. In one, Nicks said she'd never even been to her ex's house. But the narrative of the group insists they must forever be remembered as the tragic, star-crossed lovers, and so they are last on stage at the O2, strolling on hand in hand; during Sara they coo choruses to each other, then embrace and slow dance as the song comes to an end.

What makes this forced intimacy even odder is that without the third songwriter, Christine McVie – who seems likely to make a cameo appearance at their next two O2 shows – the dichotomy between the pair's writing is so stark. Buckingham's songs, for all their melodic beauty, are often harsh and angry, and his between-songs banter could have been scripted by a therapist; Nicks's are soft and pillowy, a Laurel Canyon prefiguring of goth, and her chat is rambling and charming.

Nevertheless, for the opening hour, it's blissful – an opening of trio of Second Hand News, The Chain and Dreams is jaw-dropping in its self-confidence. Nicks may no longer be able to reach the high notes of Rhiannon, but the song's construction is sturdy enough to survive the removal of its ornaments. And a one-two punch from the extraordinary 1979 album Tusk is simply jaw-dropping: Not That Funny echoes around the vast room like an invitation to step outside, and Tusk itself is eerie and uneasy and wonderful.

But there's a distinct and rather long sag as the main set winds down – looking down from the top tier, one can see mobile phones being checked on the floor as I'm So Afraid meanders on – and the relief that greets Don't Stop is palpable. It's a victory in the end, but it's a set that would be so much stronger at half an hour shorter.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Last updated: September 25, 2013 5:59 pm

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a530d4cc-2...#axzz2fxXdARYB

Fleetwood Mac, 02 Arena, London – review

By Richard Clayton

A riveting evening belonged above all to Lindsey Buckingham and his eloquent guitar

After all these years, something still gets Lindsey Buckingham’s goat. Fleetwood Mac’s guitarist and front man tore into “Second Hand News”, barking the words and spitting out the “bams” of the chorus’s vocalese like repeated slaps in the face. Rumours, the gazillion-selling “soft-rock” album that chronicles the band’s – and their generation’s – relationship traumas was given its 35th anniversary reissue in February. There was little soft about this near three-hour show, the first of three nights of controlled catharsis in London.

Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, his former girlfriend and the fans’ erstwhile hippie siren, held hands as they emerged. Their harmonies were on point for “The Chain”, the sound lent a doomy toll and twang like a gothic Creedence Clearwater Revival. When they turned to each other, you couldn’t tell if their deliveries were taunting or imploring. “You know what you lost,” sang Nicks on “Dreams”, the line hanging rueful and accusatory in the air, her voice deeper than in her prime and approaching a Patti Smith-like gravitas. In waistcoats and flat caps, the rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie looked like upscale Wurzels, somewhat baffled by the continuing psychodrama unfolding before them, but grateful for its endlessly fascinating power.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a530d4cc-2...#ixzz2fxXzwPmq

For all their colossal self-importance, Buckingham was right to insist there were “still things to discover” about Fleetwood Mac. Not least how time does or doesn’t heal and, as Nicks would sing on the sore, regretful “Landslide”, “Can I handle the seasons of my life?” The woozy rites of “Rhiannon” seemed more curse than enchantment now. Four songs from Tusk, their “difficult” follow-up to Rumours, were prefaced by a self-justifying but apt lecture from Buckingham about the incompatibility of art and commerce. They were played with a kick-against-the-pricks intensity and when they were done, Nicks gave Buckingham a brief, battle-weary hug.

The mooted guest spot for Christine McVie didn’t materialise. Perhaps that’s for another night. This really was Buckingham’s gig. He doesn’t so much solo as argue his case with his guitar. And it’s a knotty, consuming one at that. Alone and acoustic, “Big Love” was haunted, almost hysterical, as spooked as a wild horse. This was the most extraordinary, and impassioned, part of an evening that was sometimes as arduous as it was enjoyable, if mostly riveting nonetheless. Many people took a comfort break during “Without You”, built up by Nicks as a “lost” classic but rather soppy in the event.

The finale, “Go Your Own Way”, felt like the first unfettered singalong. Yet even this was driven by a dark rhythmic energy that pushed the melody uneasily ahead. The honky-tonk gallop of “Don’t Stop” in the encore was preceded by a preposterous mugging of a drum solo from Fleetwood. When, at the last, someone made a request, he was chastised for “vibe corruption” by Nicks and Buckingham, who wanted to finish on the gentle “Say Goodbye”. In this soap opera, the principals write the script.

4 out of 5 stars
Old 09-25-2013, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Alt Sounds review by Shen Salil, September 24, 2013

http://hangout.altsounds.com/reviews...ndon-live.html

You know when you're looking forward to something sooo much like a kid at Christmas but sadly there's always bound to be some disappointment; that crappy gift from your great aunt or the soggy brussel sprouts. But of course there are still the absolute complete pleasures; that spot on gift from your mum or the perfectly roasted tatties. Well, as bizarre as it sounds Fleetwood Mac on 24th September was a lot like Christmas! The anticipation, oh that anticipation, fueled more so by rumours (no pun intended) of Christine McVie making a guest appearance! My expectations were so high, Fleetwood Mac is my ultimate band and I honestly never thought I’d see them live, let alone with the chance of Christine joining them on stage. You could feel the tension in the O2 as we all waited with baited breath and, dare I say it, empty pockets judging by the queues at the merch stands and the price of the tickets!

What can I tell you about Fleetwood Mac that you don’t already know? I doubt there’s much, courtesy of their much publicised, and of course lyricised, heartbreaks, illicit romances and drug habits. But through all the drama of course Fleetwood Mac created some of the best music ever, Rumours of course being the epitome of their creations. On paper the final culmination of Fleetwood Mac shouldn't technically work; Lindsey Buckingham with his jabbing and stabbing experimental sounds, Stevie Nicks in her witchy, hippy, floaty world, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood with their truly British bluesy rock driven rhythm section and let’s not forget Christine McVie and her perfect pop writing and harmonies. But somehow this potential cacophony came together and worked; playing on each other’s strengths and lyrically their weaknesses too!

I was born in ’83, long gone was their true heyday, but despite what one hit wonders the Reynolds Sisters sang I wouldn't rather jack than Fleetwood Mac! 80’s Fleetwood Mac still gave us some belters from Tango In The Night proving that the band still had it and judging by the rate the tickets sold out for this tour, they still do in 2013. Where are those Reynolds Sisters now huh?!

Anyway, you want to hear about the gig right? You’re concerned about my opening paragraph aren't you?! Well, this is possibly the hardest review I think I've ever had to write. I love Fleetwood Mac. But I now wish my expectations hadn't been so damn high and I now wish that I knew nothing of the potential guest slot from Christine. Why? Because they’re not the perfect band, yes they have written perfect songs, but they’re not a perfect band and age seems to have exaggerated that too. And Christine was a no show...had it never even been mentioned I wouldn't have cared so much, but when you’re told something and it doesn't happen, well it’s almost as heartbreaking as Rumours, but it wasn't a rumour, it was direct from Stevie! Maybe Christine will show up for the next 2 London dates, who knows. But I do wonder, if she doesn't, why say anything at all, it’s not as if they need to shift some tickets, all 3 nights sold out in record time! Am I being too sensitive about it all? Maybe, but I can’t help it! It would appear many reviews are glowing, perhaps people are afraid to speak the truth about such a revered band or perhaps they had a different experience to me. But look before I get stuck in, the night was still incredible, the highs were absolutely through the roof (or should that be through the dome, at the O2!?) but sadly there were lows, perhaps I’m too picky, perhaps I’m being harsh, but either way I’m not afraid to voice my opinions.

Would I have opened with ‘Second Hand News’? No. But that’s just me. They did, it was great but it’s no show opener! Straight into ‘The Chain’ however, that was much more like it. The whole arena was alive with energy and Fleetwood Mac clearly fed off this as they built the track up to of course John’s formidable bass part, incredible! It was then time for Stevie to shine with ‘Dreams’, but sadly something wasn't quite right, maybe it was our location but Lindsey’s mic was up way too high and Stevie’s too low, he overpowered her and it felt a little flat to be honest. Not their fault, it’s down to the sound engineers to sort this, but on a gig of this scale and calibre that kind of stuff should be absolutely nailed without even thinking about it! One thing they did nail was the lighting and visuals for the night, at first I thought it was a really simple set-up but as the evening progressed it got more and more intense and really pulled you in. From a photographers point of view (sadly I wasn't shooting this one!) the lighting would have been a dream to shoot; I couldn't help but be envious of those lucky enough to be in the pit. Anyway back to the show. Lindsey began to talk about their new tracks and how they’re not really sure where they will go with them, I knew ‘Sad Angel’ was coming up. Without being derogatory I knew it was my moment to nip to the ladies....I’m not a fan of the track so was happy to duck out!

I came back just in time for my personal favourite ‘Rhiannon’ and boy did Stevie nail this one, thank god! I love the story behind ‘Rhiannon’ and I love Stevie’s interest in witchcraft and everything, and this song is perfectly crafted and they smashed it last night! Lindsey then begins to talk about the industry and how scathing it can be at time, queue jokes about Rumours follow-up Tusk and how poorly it was received by the industry, but how over time it’s relevance and meaning has unfolded somewhat and it’s now a much more understood album. I have to agree, the older I've got the more I've begun to enjoy Tusk. But not ‘Not That Funny’, which was next. However, ‘Tusk’ was played after and I really really enjoyed it, especially the marching band section, it works so well at an arena show and you couldn't help but move along. But. I made a joke that for all the money they charged on the tickets they could have splashed out on getting a marching band in (they've previously done that on tour) or at very least a horn section! But it was just backing track, but the marching band visuals were cool. I am being really finicky now aren't I, I can hear myself and I don’t like it, but I have to say it!

Stevie takes centre stage for a couple of tracks ‘Sisters Of The Moon’ and ‘Sara’. ‘Sara’ is another favourite of mine, written for her best friend who of course Lindsey had an affair with. How hard, even after all these year, must it be to stand there and perform that with your ex right next to you? I don’t care what they say, there’s still a mass of chemistry between Lindsey and Stevie...chemistry and tension! And with a little hug at the end of ‘Sara’....it was sizzling on stage! But then it was time for Lindsey to absolutely steal the show with ‘Big Love’. I think his live version has probably become more know than the album version, and there’s a reason for that. He absolutely ****ing kills it each and every time and I’m so glad to have finally witnessed it myself! His ‘Ooh-Ahh’s’ barking out across the O2 were electrifying, as was his playing! ‘Landslide’ was next, it’s a beautiful track and it was nice to hear them all play it, they broke it down in parts, it was an interesting take on it for sure! After ‘Never Going Back Again’ Stevie and Lindsey tell us the story of the next track ‘Without You’ which was originally a poem from Stevie to Lindsay ‘the nicest thing I've ever written about Lindsey’ were her exact words. They told us how the original tape recording of the track had been lost, twice, over the years, but that someone had sneakily (and luckily) made a copy of it which was presented to them about 10 years ago. It’s a beautiful and really touching track, a genuine love song between the pair – a rarity!

‘Gypsy’, ‘Eyes of the World’ and ‘Gold Dust Woman’ followed, with stunning visuals especially for ‘Gold Dust Woman’ as the O2 was cast in a glowing golden light. Great tracks but nothing really stood out. But then, once again, Lindsey stole the show with ‘I’m So Afraid’ with yet another frightening solo. This song was made to be played live, it’s much better than on record as Lindsey delivers powerfully emotional vocals. He has to catch his breath at the end, as he did with ‘Big Love’ – at a week off 64 perhaps life on the road is beginning to take its toll this time around!? Stevie then snuck in one of her own tracks ‘Stand Back’ which was an added bonus, I wish it had been ‘Rooms On Fire’ though, that’s my fave! With her trademark shawl, tambourine and glitzy mic Stevie’s image is as iconic as her voice and what a voice it is, even at 66 but as she twirls around on stage, even at a slower pace than her younger years, she looks a little wobbly on her feet!

‘Go Your Own Way’ started up and that was it, crowd went wild once again as it was greeted with thunderous appreciation. Such an iconic song and as the O2 sings out their love for it, you can tell it’s everyone’s highlight of the night! The band bid us farewell and head off, of course only to return for an encore. There had obviously been no sign of Christine yet...she had to show in the encore, right?! They started off with ‘World Turning’ not my most favourite of tracks so I nipped to the loo again to return halfway through Mick’s drum solo. I always think drum solos are a bit cliche, they've had their time, but that time was an era when The Mac were at their height so it’s justifiable Mick get’s the limelight for a bit! As he finished up the band paid tribute to him and in turn he then paid tribute to the rest of them, and the others on stage too. Perfect time to bring out Christine yeh? Nope, they then went into ‘Don’t Stop’ minus her inimitable vocals of course. I was gutted. It just wasn't right with Stevie and Lindsey sharing vocals on it and I knew that Christine would not be joining them on the stage. The band then went off again, to come back for their 2nd encore, choosing to end with ‘Silver Springs’ and ‘Say Goodbye’. Once again, as with the opener, I wouldn't have chosen to close with these, it kind of left many on a bit of a downer, especially as we knew there was no return of Christine.

So there you have it. The highs were unbelievably high, but the lows were sadly low. Do I regret going and shelling out so much for the tickets? No, ‘cos the highlights were worth every penny. Would I go again? Absolutely, but I’d lower my expectations next time! To have had the chance to see one of the greatest bands ever play some of the best songs ever written was a privilege; it’s just a shame that, in an almost 3 hour set, things often felt flat. Of course, without Christine there was a huge chunk of material missing, which, although there’s nothing they could have done about that, I did miss tracks like ‘Everywhere’, ‘Little Lies’, ‘Songbird’ and ‘You Make Loving Fun’. Even a nod to the older line-ups of The Mac would have been touching, especially after the passing of Bob Welch; whilst these gripes didn't ruin the night for me, it did impact it in a way.

I shall put the lackluster moments to the back of my mind though, and remember the night for the electrifying moments that blew me away! Fleetwood Mac are still great musicians, the music remains timeless and I’m so glad to have seen them live.

Set-list: •Second Hand News
•The Chain
•Dreams
•Sad Angel
•Rhiannon
•Not That Funny
•Tusk
•Sisters of the Moon
•Sara
•Big Love
•Landslide
•Never Going Back Again
•Without You
•Gypsy
•Eyes of the World
•Gold Dust Woman
•I'm So Afraid
•Stand Back (Stevie Nicks song)
•Go Your Own Way
Encore: •World Turning (including Drum Solo)
•Don't Stop
Encore 2: •Silver Springs
•Say Goodbye

Read more at http://hangout.altsounds.com/reviews...lRTB41DVoXo.99
Old 09-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

September 24, 2013

Fans hail Fleetwood Mac at London's O2 Arena as 'insanely amazing'

Band to play two shows at O2 Arena

Fans have given overwhelming glowing praise to Fleetwood Mac's show at London's O2 Arena last night (Tuesday 24 September).

The legendary rock icons kicked off the first of their three night residency at the venue, opening with the fan favourite 'Second Hand News' before blazing through a further 22 classic rock anthems.

Following the show, fans took to Twitter to give their reaction:

Read more at http://www.gigwise.com/news/84452/fa...4t5678uhBbq.99
Old 09-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Click for photos:

http://www.gigwise.com/photos/84450/...ndons-o2-arena

11 stunning shots of Fleetwood Mac, live at London's O2 Arena

Band kick off three-nights in the capital

24 September, 2013: Fleetwood Mac kicked off their three-night residency at London's O2 Arena last night, proving that they are still one of the greatest live bands on the planet. See photos of their show here.

Ahead of the expected return of Christine McVie to the group, the band performed an epic set packed full of the hits which helped them establish themselves as one of the biggest pop bands of all time. See the full setlist below:
Old 09-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Say Goodbye by Kristianlw

Rhiannon by Kristianlw

Tusk by Kristianlw

Old 09-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sad Angel by Kristianlw

Gypsy by Kristianlw

Big Love by Kristianlw

Old 09-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Chain by Kristianlw

Dreams by Kristianlw

Second Hand News by Kristianlw

Old 09-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sara by Kristianlw

Go Your Own Way by Kristianlw

Don't Stop by Kristianlw

Old 09-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gold Dust Woman by Kristianlw

Go Your Own Way by GotsomePearlJam

Dreams by GotsomePearlJam

Old 09-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't Stop by GotsomePearlJam

Big Love by GotsomePearlJam

Landslide dedicated to Jenny Boyd by GotsomePearlJam

Old 09-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetinmyheart View Post
I went tonight. Just got home so will keep it short and sweet as I am exhausted. Had amazing seats. 8 rows from the front, directly in front of Stevie. Was an amazing show. Atmosphere electric. Lindsey's guitar solos were off the chart. Stevie's voice was on top form and she looked absolutely beautiful. I've met her before in person and thought she was stunning then, but she is looking even better lately. Major hair envy. No Christine as reported by others. A real shame but you know what? The band were on top form tonight and everyone seemed to be having a great time. Only downside was the annoying drunk girls in front of me who were eventually removed by security. Silly girls to pay that much money only to miss half of the show!
That's how I felt about it too. Bittersweet about last night, but my jealousy at those fans who got DS with Christine is overshadowed by my love and elation for the glorious 5 minutes that took place last night.

It was an amazing night. So much better than the 2009 show I saw in Manchester. Ahhhh I wish I could go tomorrow (my birthday!) but tickets are at ridiculous prices, and considering Chris will be there tomorrow too, they've probably doubled in price in the space of 12 hours.

Signal in the O2 is terrible which probably explains the lack of tweets/internet reporting.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Show Review for 9/24/13 - Is Fleetwood Mac still interesting?

I thought this review was kind of funny and thought some of you might enjoy reading it too. This writer seems kind of hard to please.

Fleetwood Mac, O2 Arena
Are the megagroup's love poems, drum solos and heartache still interesting?
by Serena Kutchinsky| Wednesday, 25 September 2013

We all know the backstory of the Mighty Mac, the breakups, the betrayals, the addictions and now, finally, the reunion. These days they're more like the Mellow Mac with the emotional hatchets buried, lingering hugs on stage, and tender tales of their time as struggling Seventies hippies. Few other bands, not even Abba, have mined their private lives for inspiration to the same extent. Unlike today's manufactured pop-ettes who invent relationship strife to grab column inches and make themselves more interesting (Harry Styles and Taylor Swift, I'm looking at you), heartache has always been at the core of Fleetwood Mac's music and their unique, explosive chemistry.

Rivalling the likes of fellow pensioners the Rolling Stones in the longevity stakes - 37 years and counting - Fleetwood’s Mac's performance, almost three hours long, was infinitely more emotionally charged and entertaining than that which Mick Jagger and his merry band of geriatrics managed to muster at this year’s Glastonbury. This was the first of three nights at London's O2 which features the band in its most successful incarnation with Mick Fleetwood (drums) (pictured below), John McVie (bassist), Lindsey Buckingham (guitar) and the inevitable star of the show, Stevie Nicks (vocals). Disappointingly, tonight’s crowd were deprived of the emotional reunion with former vocalist Christine McVie (ex wife of John), which is rumoured to be on the cards for later in the run.

Mick Fleetwood The mammoth 23-song-set was perfectly pitched to please the 20,000 fans packing the venue, tell the Fleetwood Mac story and even showcase the odd new track. As the cross-generational crowd (including young hipsters paying homage in afghan coats and flares) shuffled expectantly in their seats, these old friends and lovers (Nicks dated Buckingham seriously and Fleetwood briefly) launched into a rousing rendition of “Second Hand News” from 1976’s bestselling album, Rumours. As someone who grew up with Stevie Nicks’s ethereal howls blasting out of my parents' car stereo, it was pure pleasure to see this gothic rock goddess perform live. I even found myself unexpectedly tearing up as the opening notes of their classic hit "Dreams" sent the crowd into a foot-stomping frenzy.

Yes, there was the odd over-indulgent guitar solo and waffle from Lindsey Buckingham about the evils of the music business and overcoming his personal demons, most of which sounded liked psychobabble. But he made up for it with a genuinely moving version of “Big Love” (from Tango in the Night, 1987), when he stood alone in the spotlight strumming a Spanish guitar. “The lyrics when I first wrote this song described who Lindsey Buckingham was at the time," he confessed. “I was running away from love. But, what once was a meditation on alienation has now become about the power of change.” Whatever it was about, the audience loved it.

Stevie Nicks Throughout the performance, Mick Fleetwood sat majestically behind his drum kit, positioned between Nicks (pictured left) and Buckingham whose friendship is finally back on track after a decade-long feud. In one particularly touching moment, the pair performed a song inspired by a love poem Nicks wrote in the duo’s pre-Mac era entitled "Without You". Only when the encore came did Mick Fleetwood take centre stage and showcase his drumming prowess with an impressively energetic solo on "Don’t Stop".

The show should really have ended there, but for some reason they decided to raise our hopes of a last minute rendition of another classic such as “Little Lies”, only to disappoint with the little known “Silver Springs” (the B-side of “Go Your Own Way”), and “Say Goodbye” from 2003’s Say You Will album, which is about Buckingham finally letting go of his love for Nicks. Just as Fleetwood Mac have allegedly moved on, so too have their fans, and by that point in the evening we’d had enough of hearing about their emotional issues. Playing out to a rapidly emptying arena can’t have been the finale they were hoping for. Fingers crossed that if the rumours about Glastonbury in 2014 are true, they use that opportunity to shut up and play a few more of the hits.

http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music...d-mac-o2-arena