Old 03-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 1994: Mick Talks About Mason

[Didn't see this online, so uploading]

Palm Beach Post (FL), August 29, 1994

Section: ACCENT

OLD-PRO MASON CREATES SPECIAL NEW MUSICAL CHEMISTRY

SCOTT BENARDE Palm Beach Post Music Writer

Drummer Mick Fleetwood was exasperated. It had been nearly four years since Fleetwood Mac's last album - 1990's Behind the Mask - and it was time to replace some band members.

Again.

Since Fleetwood co-founded the band as an offshoot of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers in 1967, he had seen at least a dozen members come and go. He watched the group evolve from a London-based, Elmore James-influenced electric blues band to an L.A.-based, folk-influenced pop supergroup.

He had spent months searching for the right musician to complete the band's latest lineup and kept coming up empty. Above all, he needed someone with passion.

``Anything without passion really is a dead issue, and anyone who's ever been in the band has had a real passion,'' Fleetwood says.

One choice was easy - replacing singer Stevie Nicks, who had developed a successful solo career, with sassy, soulful Bekka Bramlett. Bramlett's blood lines (the daughter of Delaney & Bonnie) and her experience touring with Mick Fleetwood's Zoo made her the obvious choice.

But Fleetwood and band co-founder John McVie also needed someone to fill the songwriting void left by Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham and to musically complement guitarist-singer Billy Burnette, who has been with the band since 1987.

``I was flummoxed,'' English-born, L.A. resident Fleetwood says during a phone call from the road. ``I couldn't find that person. The band needed someone young and funky, but that felt desperate. I said, `Screw that. We're all getting into our 50s, let's find someone we all feel comfortable with.' ''

Fleetwood, 52, was only joking when he told longtime friend Dave Mason, 47, ``If things get much worse, I'll have to put you in the band.''

Mason's response - ``Oh, Mick, I'd love to do it'' - caught Fleetwood off guard.

So he reviewed Mason's work and realized Mason and Mac made sense. Buckingham admired Mason's music, Fleetwood says, adding that Buckingham's tune Second-Hand News was structurally influenced by Mason's Only You Know and I Know. That song had also been a Top 20 hit in 1971 for, guess who, Delaney & Bonnie.

The new line up - Fleetwood, McVie, Burnette, Bramlett and Mason - is detouring from its opening act slot on the current Crosby, Stills & Nash tour to play a series of Florida shows, including a sold-out show at the Carefree Theatre in West Palm Beach tonight. (Though no longer a touring member, singer and keyboard player Christine McVie continues to write and record with the group.)

The group performs a few Mason chestnuts including Dear Mr. Fantasy (from his days with Traffic) and Only You Know and I Know. The band is also road-testing new songs that probably will appear on the next Mac album set for release in '95. One is a Burnette tune.

The others are Mason compositions: The Bigger the Love and Blow by Blow. The latter, double entendre-titled song (with references to cocaine and boxing) is ``a positive message song'' about turning your life around, Fleetwood says.

``Both of us have had our ups and downs and crazy times,'' Fleetwood says of Mason. ``We went through some together, from being incredibly wealthy, then broke, then OK.''

Fleetwood adds, ``We're all behaving ourselves in this day and age. These are different days. We're all sober and clean and having a ball.''

He doesn't deny that some of their music profited from being under the influence.

``Do you get flashes of brilliance when you're two sheets to the wind? Yes. But we're playing in a way we haven't played since we were youngsters. It's a joy, and you can get up in the morning.''

All this still begs this question: How do Fleetwood and McVie maintain their own passion after 27 years of lineup changes, roller coaster success and running themselves ragged trying to keep the band together?

Funny you should ask, Fleetwood seems to snicker. Actually, it's a no-brainer.

``Why on earth would you want to go and look for another job?'' Fleetwood asks as if the very thought would mark a man insane. ``Why stop? We've been playing since we were 14 years old. This is what we do. My dream is this. What else would I do, run a green grocer store?''

So what's the chance this lineup can repeat the mega-success of the Buckingham-Nicks lineup of the '70s? You know, the Mac that produced the hits Over My Head, Rhiannon, Say You Love Me, Go Your Own Way, Dreams, Don't Stop, You Make Loving Fun. Many of those came from the 1977 classic album Rumours, one of the bestselling records in pop history.

``Rumours will always be a bee in our bonnet,'' Fleetwood answers. ``Will we be the massive band of the '70s? Probably not. But can we make viable music we like doing? Absolutely.''

The desire to make the best music possible is one reason the band is on the road. Opening for CS&N allows the band to integrate the new players and check fan reaction to the new songs.

The band left the studio and an unfinished album to tour.

``We're supposed to be in the studio,'' Fleetwood says. ``We were getting studio fever. This whole tour is ostensibly with CS&N. We're doing very few gigs on our own.''

In 1974, Fleetwood Mac was halfway through an album with new additions Nicks and Buckingham when Fleetwood, who also managed the band at the time, abruptly decided to tour.

``Everybody thought we were crazy. But the only real way to (see what you've got) is to get in the hot seat in front of people,'' Fleetwood says. ``Few people knew who (Nicks and Buckingham) were, but they loved them. We went back and finished the album (Fleetwood Mac) with great spirit and the rest is history.''

Will history repeat itself? Early indications are encouraging.

``I believe we have a very interesting lineup,'' Fleetwood says. ``People don't know us and two songs into the set it's all over. Halfway through the set it's really all over. And that makes me feel good - and relieved.''
Old 03-18-2008, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Palm Beach Post (FL), August 29, 1994

Section: ACCENT

UNEARTHING MAC'S GHOSTS

Fleetwood Mac has been a revolving door for musicians since its inception in 1967. The only original members still with the group are the Mac namesakes - drummer Mick Fleetwood and bass player John McVie. Here's what happened to a few of the group's key members over the years:

Peter Green: The songwriter-guitarist co-founded the band in July 1967 and left the group in May 1970 to join a religious sect. (Few realize it, but Green is the author of Black Magic Woman. A hit for Santana in 1970, the song appeared on Mac's second album, English Rose, in 1969.) Green lives in London, hasn't made music in years, but is still viewed as a guitar god by British music fans. Over the years, more than one Green wannabe has tried to pass himself off as the guitarist to get a record deal. There is rumor of a Green tribute album, says Mac manager Carl Stubner.

``He is one of the most unsung guitar players ever,'' says Stubner, ``and in London there is still a Peter Green mystique.''

Jeremy Spencer: In early 1971 guitarist Spencer, an original Mac member, left the group in the middle of a U.S. tour and joined a religious sect called the Children of God. He released several solo albums during the '70s. He lives in Brazil and is still a member of the Children of God.

Danny Kirwan: The singer-songwriter-guitarist joined the band in 1968 and, depending on the account, either left or was fired in 1972. He released a string of solo albums in the United Kingdom in the mid '70s. He lives in London.

Bob Welch: Singer-songwriter-guitarist Welch is living in Nashville, according to Mac manager Stubner. Welch was a band member from April 1971 through December 1974. He left the band to form a power trio called Paris, which released a pair of albums. Welch had a moderately successful solo career, releasing a series of solo albums throughout the '70s and '80s, but may best be known for the Mac song Hypnotized.

Lindsey Buckingham: The singer-songwriter-guitarist joined the band in January of 1975 along with singer-songwriter Stevie Nicks. He left the band in 1987 to pursue a solo career which had already generated the Top 40 hits Trouble and Go Insane. His most recent album, Out of the Cradle, released in 1992, made a lot of critics' Top 10 lists. He is working on a follow-up record scheduled for release late next year.

Stevie Nicks: Nicks left the band after the release of the Mac album in 1990 to pursue an already substantial solo career. Hits such as Stop Draggin' My Heart Around (with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers), Edge of Seventeen and Stand Back made her an arena act in the '80s. Nicks' latest album, Street Angel, was released about a month ago. She was supposed to perform at the Kravis Center on Sept. 23 and 24, but abruptly shortened her tour.

- SCOTT BENARDE
Old 03-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

St Petersburg Times, August 26, 1994

Section: WEEKEND

NEXT UP IN OUR VISIT TO YESTERYEAR: FLEETWOOD MAC

TONY GREEN: A QUICK LOOK AROUND THIS WEEKEND

Like a lot of the '70s acts hitting the road during this time-displaced summer, Fleetwood Mac's lineup required some retooling.

Flaxen-haired frontwoman Stevie Nicks is gone, as is guitarist/songwriter Lindsey Buckingham. Keyboardist Christine McVie has limited her input to the studio. Former Traffic guitarist Dave Mason and singer Bekka Bramlett are testing the waters, as the group prepares to release an album this year.

All this actually isn't anything new to drummer Mick Fleetwood. He's gone through the reconstruction process since the band's inception. The band has been through defections, romantic turmoil and artistic squabbles, still managing to produce some of the most finely crafted, tuneful pop of the '70s, on albums likeFleetwood Mac and Rumours.

Fleetwood Mac was originally a blues band, arguably the hottest to come out of the British scene in the '60s. The linchpin was guitarist Peter Green, who in those days rivaled fellow Brit Eric Clapton in the blues-rock finesse category.

Green, and then fellow guitarist Jeremy Spencer, dropped out of the group in 1970, both joining religious sects. Danny Kirwan, who joined the group in 1968, departed after a skirmish with guitarist Bob Welch.

""When Peter made that album called The End of the Game, it was the end of the game,'' Fleetwood told the St. Louis Post Dispatch. ""From that moment on, he ceased to perform in the world that you and I really choose to be in. He functions, but he functions on a level that makes him feel comfortable. He's very quiet. He does what he wants to do, enjoys his walking, enjoys listening to music, and that's about it. He doesn't play anymore, which is a real drag - one could say a tragedy because it's such a loss.''

The lineup now includes vocalist Bramlett, daughter of '70s duo Delaney and Bonnie, out front. It was Mason who wrote their hit Only You Know and I Know, which the band has performed on some stops on this tour.

"She's excited, but she's fearful in that artistic sort of way,'' Fleetwood told the Post Dispatch before the tour began. ""She's thinking, "Oh, God, I hope they're going to like me,' because she is the girl out in the front and she is taking over for someone (Nicks) who is mega-mega, an aura that goes from here to Timbuktu.

""But she's thrilled. She was dressing up in Stevie clothes when she was a kid. It's pretty wild.""

Fleetwood Mac will play Jannus Landing in St. Petersburg at 8:30 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are $20 advance, $25 day of show.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

St. Louis Post-Dispatch (MO), July 7, 1994

Section: CALENDAR

SURVIVAL INSTINCT

Alan Sculley

MICK FLEETWOOD openly acknowledges that Fleetwood Mac is at a career crossroads as the band prepares for a summerlong tour with Crosby, Stills & Nash.

Singer/songwriter Stevie Nicks has left the band. Guitarist Lindsey Buckingham has decided not to return. Keyboardist Christine McVie is participating, but only in the studio and not on tour. Two new members, guitarist Dave Mason and singer Bekka Bramlett, are trying to find their niche alongside drummer Fleetwood, fellow founding member and bassist John McVie and guitarist Billy Burnette, a holdover from the most recent version of the group.

Is Fleetwood scared about how this lineup will be accepted, given the expectations that can come with a group of such chart-topping popularity?

Yes, he said bluntly. But he's also excited, and why wouldn't he be? He and McVie have been through the process of rebuilding Fleetwood Mac before - probably more times than they would care to admit.

"It's another major move. There's no doubt of it," Fleetwood said. "And we're of the mind - and I tend to say `we' because it is everyone, but certainly John and I talk about these sorts of things in depth - we just decided that we were going to meet it head-on. Let's just go for it and do it.

"That's the spirit of what we're doing now. There are no rules in terms of where it ends up. All we know is we're going to go out and do a great tour, play our hearts out, get off the tour, finish the album and that's it."

The long, winding saga of Fleetwood Mac began in 1967 when McVie, Fleetwood and guitarist Jeremy Spencer were recruited by guitarist and singer Peter Green to form the original Mac. The band, which featured a blues rock sound, enjoyed immediate success, especially in England, where the 1968 debut topped the charts.

By 1970, Green was no longer interested in the band and quit. The remaining members, who by this time included guitarist Danny Kirwan, soldiered on, bringing in Christine McVie to help fill the void left by Green. Over the next four years, the band recorded and toured frequently, but endured more upheaval.

Spencer abruptly disappeared, plucked off a Los Angeles street by the religious sect that he joined. Kirwan left after he had a stormy falling out with guitarist Bob Welch, who was hired to replace Spencer and was with the band from 1971 to '74. Welch went on to enjoy success as a solo artist during the late '70s.

Of the three original guitarists, Spencer has found peace in his post-Mac days with his religion, Fleetwood said, but Green has abandoned his music career and Kirwan has fallen on hard times.

"When Peter made that album called `The End of the Game,' it was the end of the game," Fleetwood said. "From that moment on, he ceased to perform in the world that you and I really choose to be in. He functions, but he functions on a level that makes him feel comfortable. He's very quiet. He does what he wants to do, enjoys his walking, enjoys listening to music, and that's about it. He doesn't play anymore, which is a real drag - one could say a tragedy because it's such a loss.

"Danny, from all accounts, is the worst off of all three of them . . . and there's nothing anyone can do. He's gone. He lives on the street, and that's what he does."

With Welch's departure, the band's survival instincts were once again tested. But Fleetwood and the McVies pushed on and located two new recruits - Buckingham and Nicks - who would change their fortunes forever.

That lineup lasted 12 years. It survived a divorce between the McVies and a split between Buckingham and Nicks, who had also been romantically involved, to create several hugely popular, artistically satisfying records, including "Fleetwood Mac" (1975), "Rumours" (the 1977 release that was No. 1 for 31 straight weeks), the 1979 double album "Tusk" ("the most important Fleetwood Mac album that was ever made," Fleetwood said) and "Tango in the Night" (1987).

Surviving the romantic splits, which were chronicled in telling detail in the lyrics of "Rumours," gave the lineup strength to match its unique musical chemistry.

"It (the `Rumours' period) taught us an incredible amount of acceptance that really put us in very good stead for our 12 odd years we were going to be together," Fleetwood said.

"And we were together. I mean, for eight of those years we were literally living in each other's pockets. If we weren't on the road, we were in the studio. When we were in the studio, the girls were living together and the guys were all in a house together.

"We went through so much emotional trauma during `Rumours' that really anything that came our way that could have been construed as a threat to the band breaking up looked so pale and shallow. We thought, well, we're still here after that. . . . It was an emotional training ground really."

But when Buckingham abruptly quit on the eve of the already booked "Tango in the Night" tour in 1987, the band faced a huge crisis. It was answered when Fleetwood recurited guitarists Burnette and Rick Vito to do the tour and the next album, "Behind the Mask."

"That album was classic Fleetwood Mac going into some absolute survival mode in a very, very successful way," Fleetwood said. "Rick and Billy came into Fleetwood Mac at literally a moment's notice. We rehearsed for six or seven weeks, and we went out and very successfully transcended a major problem in losing Lindsey Buckingham."

This brings us to today's Mac. Finding a new guitarist was a key. Mason, a friend of Fleetwood who in the early '80s had lived in a house on Fleetwood's expansive Malibu, Calif., property, became the choice almost by accident.

"They (the early '80s) were great days, but they were completely and utterly insane, a lot of drug abuse and drinking. It was not to be repeated at this point in my life," Fleetwood said. "Anyway, Dave was around heavily in those days. Wild and crazy times were had, and I got to know Dave really well."

Moving the story forward, Fleetwood continued: "I spent just under a year looking for a guitar player, and I mean really looking for a guitar player. It was the one time that I didn't have someone up my sleeve.

"So the end of the story was, Dave phoned me up, and I said I'm going bananas here (trying to find a guitarist). And I jokingly said, `I tell you what, Dave, I'm going to have to put you in the (bleeping) band if I don't find someone soon.' And immediately, he said seriously, `Mick, I would love to do it.' and we'd never really discussed it - ever - during our whole friendship."

By contrast, Bramlett, the daughter of the early '70s musical team Delaney & Bonnie, had long figured in the new Fleetwood Mac equation - even before Nicks officially bowed out. Bramlett had been part of Fleetwood's side band, The Zoo, and had impressed him not only with her bluesy singing voice but with her studio smarts and budding ability as a songwriter.

"She's excited, but she's fearful in that artistic sort of way," Fleetwood said. "She's thinking, `Oh, God, I hope they're going to like me,' because she is the girl out in the front and she is taking over for someone (Nicks) who is mega-mega, an aura that goes from here to Timbuktu.

"But she's thrilled. She was dressing up in Stevie clothes when she was a kid. It's pretty wild.

"But she's . . . vocally such a different kettle of fish from Stevie, it's not like there's any cloning going on here at all. She's a statement and a talent in her own right, and that's why we've got her there.

"We didn't want any ambiguity at all about (anyone) thinking we found someone who is sort of Stevie II. This is not Stevie II. Stevie's not to be touched."
Old 03-18-2008, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tulsa World Review of Mick's Book, October 24, 1990

"FLEETWOOD: MY LIFE AND ADVENTURES IN FLEETWOOD MAC" by Mick Fleetwood and Stephen Davis (Morrow, $17.95)

In its 23-year history, Fleetwood Mac has been many things - underground blues-rock band, multimillion-selling pop phenomenon and rock 'n' roll soap opera.

Now the veteran British band has a book.

Mick Fleetwood, who has been the group's drummer through all its personnel changes, love affairs, near-breakups and his own bankruptcy, has written "Fleetwood: My Life and Adventures in Fleetwood Mac."

Co-authored with Stephen Davis, best-known for "Hammer of the Gods," the orgy-and-tell book about Led Zeppelin, "Fleetwood" will disappoint those looking for intimate details of the drummer's affair with Stevie Nicks and the group's other amorous adventures.

Ever the British gentleman, Fleetwood, 43, said he purposely "avoided smut."

"I would never have put anything like that in there," he said in a recent telephone interview. Still, his refusal to let anyone in the band read the book before publication caused some conflicts.

Fleetwood's life story is also the story of modern rock 'n' roll. The son of a British soldier whose hobbies were drumming and writing poetry and children's stories, the 6-foot-6 Fleetwood left home at 15. He packed up his drum kit in 1963 and set out for swinging London.

He got involved in the British Invasion blues scene, playing with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers and forming a band with Bluesbreakers bassist John McVie and guitarist Peter Green.

The self-effacing Green dubbed the group Fleetwood Mac. Fleetwood also became a Beatle in-law, marrying Jenny Boyd, sister of George Harrison's then-wife Patti.

The marriage didn't last, and it was his fault, Fleetwood admits.

But, in what has become a Fleetwood Mac trademark, Fleetwood and McVie found new members and forged on, adding McVie's wife Christine and guitarist Bob Welch to the group. Welch would be replaced in 1975 by Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.

That combination clicked, selling 15 million copies of "Rumours" and becoming the premier pop group of the mid-'70s.

In the book, Fleetwood reveals he earned $3 million from "Rumours," remarkable considering that he got no writer's royalties (all the songs were written by Buckingham, Nicks and McVie). He also pegs the cost of "Tusk," the double album that followed "Rumours," at $1.2 million, an unheard-of-figure in 1979.

Since then, the band has not matched its "Rumours" success, but "Tango in the Night" sold 9 million copies and "Behind the Mask" sold 3 million.

And, of course, having a potential best-seller (there's now talk of a movie) doesn't hurt. Writing the book also saved him money on therapy.

"I've never been to a psychiatrist, but it was probably the nearest thing to being on the couch," Fleetwood said. Having set down his life in print, he says, he would have done only one thing differently: "I would be a little better at handling my personal relationships, being more aware of other people's feelings."

- Larry Nager Scripps Howard Service
Old 03-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
So he reviewed Mason's work and realized Mason and Mac made sense. Buckingham admired Mason's music, Fleetwood says, adding that Buckingham's tune Second-Hand News was structurally influenced by Mason's Only You Know and I Know.
Unfortunately, SECOND HAND NEWS is beginning to sound like ONLY YOU KNOW & I KNOW (judging from the preview on Buckingham's Web site).

Quote:
The others are Mason compositions: The Bigger the Love and Blow by Blow.
How odd. I always thought the former was Burnette's song. He even sang it on Graham Nash's TV show in 1990.

Quote:
``Both of us have had our ups and downs and crazy times,'' Fleetwood says of Mason. ``We went through some together, from being incredibly wealthy, then broke, then OK.''
Mason also was a pinch hitter for Fleetwood Mac at the Forum in 1982. He substituted for the original opener, Men at Work, who couldn't play the rescheduled shows. He hung out with the band downstairs at the Supper Club after the performance, too.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
How odd. I always thought the former was Burnette's song. He even sang it on Graham Nash's TV show in 1990.
You're right. The writing credits say Billy, Larry Henley and Larry Keith wrote it.

Michele
Old 03-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Mason also was a pinch hitter for Fleetwood Mac at the Forum in 1982.
He & Jim Kreuger did a great job at those shows...just two acoustic guitars & voices rockin' an arena...too bad since the cameras were rolling for Fleetwood Mac those nights, that they didn't film Dave & Jim's set, too. Maybe they did and the footage is locked in somebody's vault somewhere.

Ironic, that just 6 years earlier, Fleetwood Mac was headliner Dave Mason's opening act at that very same venue. (with the, at the time, ubiquitous opening act for seemingly 1/2 the concerts in the LA area, Little Feat being the third act on the bill)

I think "The Bigger The Love" was left off Time due to the fact that Billy had already recorded it two times on two different solo albums, and, also, with John McVie's "Gotta Band". But, the Fleetwood Mac live version was really different than any other version I'd ever heard, so in that way, it's a shame it didn't get released after all.

Last edited by chiliD; 03-20-2008 at 11:57 AM..