The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-07-2021, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Brown Eyes is probably my favorite, but Warm Ways is such a beautiful song. I can’t pick just one, c’mon. Plus As Long As a you Follow. I guess on any given day, I would pick one of these 3 songs as my favorite.

Her work with Greg Landanyi is incredibly good, too, right up there with anything from her work with the Rumours era band.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
This made my day!!!!! It's funny because it's true. And the word "sizably", made your point genius!
It really is true. If $he'd been Mama Cass, she'd have been a footnote in history. I mean, $he was Mama Cass for a while, but people remember the hottie from the 70's.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
It really is true. If $he'd been Mama Cass, she'd have been a footnote in history. I mean, $he was Mama Cass for a while, but people remember the hottie from the 70's.
I loved Mama Cass!!
Old 01-07-2021, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I loved Mama Cass!!
So you're not golden!!!
Old 01-07-2021, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I loved Mama Cass!!
I was listening to a Johnny Carson show on Sirius. Mama Cass was a guest and it was shortly before her death. I learned she had so many health problems just before her death. She had already passed out. She has been hospitalized. It’s sad that people remember her for choking on food, as if she died simply because of gluttony. That really wasn’t the case.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Since you guys brought up Mama Cass we must look at Michelle Phillips. Attractive, in a band with hit songs, but never came close to Stevie Nicks’ success.

It’s not just the way Stevie looked. Stevie’s got/had something inside. But when the spell is broken for you, it’s like you pulled the cloth from Dorian Gray’s picture and you can never unsee the visage.
Old 01-08-2021, 02:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Since you guys brought up Mama Cass we must look at Michelle Phillips. Attractive, in a band with hit songs, but never came close to Stevie Nicks’ success.

It’s not just the way Stevie looked. Stevie’s got/had something inside. But when the spell is broken for you, it’s like you pulled the cloth from Dorian Gray’s picture and you can never unsee the visage.
Even though $tevie isn't a great singer, $he has that "it" factor. Star power. People are drawn to her, like coyote to a sheep.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I was listening to a Johnny Carson show on Sirius. Mama Cass was a guest and it was shortly before her death. I learned she had so many health problems just before her death. She had already passed out. She has been hospitalized. It’s sad that people remember her for choking on food, as if she died simply because of gluttony. That really wasn’t the case.
Yes, the story was she choked on a ham sandwich. That was not true. It was a silly assumption because of her weight. She died of a drug overdose. Her manager did not want to world to know so he came up with the ham sandwich excuse. Sadly because of her weight the story had legs. Her manager was trying to to save her reputation.
David Crosby stated they were majorly into heroin because it was so widely available in London.

The story of The Mamas and the Papas is probably the most interesting story in rock. They were hippies of the time and living the love life. They were not sure where to go in their life and make music. So they blindfolded one of the members and told him or her (forget which member it was) and throw a dart at a map of the world. The dart hit the US Virgin Islands. The band went there and started becoming popular. However, Mama Cass could not harmonize with the band and was cut. She was devastated but they felt her singing was not good. One day Cass suffered a major head injury and spent time in the hospital. Suddenly the band said her singing got better and could harmonize with them so she was welcomed back into the band.
You just cant make this stuff up. Their story is incredible.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-08-2021 at 01:05 PM..
Old 01-08-2021, 08:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’d never thought about the comparison, but since you brought it up, it’s interesting how similar their looks were. Not identical, but definitely they both represented that California woman look, with their blond hair blowing in the wind. I’m surprised I hadn't noticed that before. Michelle Phillips seemed more interested in acting, having a few roles in the 70s before finally joining Knots Landing, which is where I became a fan. Isn’t she Chyna Phillip’s mother, who was in Wilson Phillips? I think I read somewhere that when Wilson Phillips auditioned for their record label, they sang Wild Heart by Stevie Nicks, and I know they covered Go Your Own Way somewhere.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yes, the story was she choked on a ham sandwich. That was not true. It was a silly assumption because of her weight. She died of a drug overdose. Her manager did not want to world to know so he came up with the ham sandwich excuse. Sadly because of her weight the story had legs. Her manager was trying to to save her reputation.
This reminds me of a nasty joke that made the rounds back in the day- it’s rude but relates to this now apparently false story. The joke went Karen Carpenter died of anorexia and Mama Cass died choking on a sandwich- if Mama Cass had given her sandwich to Karen Carpenter, they would both still be alive.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I’d never thought about the comparison, but since you brought it up, it’s interesting how similar their looks were. Not identical, but definitely they both represented that California woman look, with their blond hair blowing in the wind. I’m surprised I hadn't noticed that before. Michelle Phillips seemed more interested in acting, having a few roles in the 70s before finally joining Knots Landing, which is where I became a fan. Isn’t she Chyna Phillip’s mother, who was in Wilson Phillips? I think I read somewhere that when Wilson Phillips auditioned for their record label, they sang Wild Heart by Stevie Nicks, and I know they covered Go Your Own Way somewhere.

...a slightly unfair comparison I think. They had similar profiles, but chose different paths in life. If Michelle Phillips had continued with music immediately after TMATP's she may well have had a significantly successful solo career.
btw- I'm surprised Stevie's has never attempted proper acting (aside from playing herself) or been offered roles.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 01-08-2021, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Could be a whole new thread on Stevie's "it" factor and how long in her career it "really" was like that vs the terrible decisions she's made and the squandered back catalogue of amazing song writing. Look, I've been fan since 1975 and continued unabated until I saw them on the Say You Will Tour, I haven't seen Stevie solo since 1991! Thirty years ago. At one time in my circles, there was. no more devoted fan than yours truly.

In my opinion, had she kept focusing on her song writing, took better care of her voice and got help with her severe cocaine addiction, I think she could have carried it post Bella Donna. Therefore the induction into the RRHOF would've been truly genuine. The continuing fandom is remembering the Stevie of 75-83 not who she is now, is my strongly held opinion.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Could be a whole new thread on Stevie's "it" factor and how long in her career it "really" was like that vs the terrible decisions she's made and the squandered back catalogue of amazing song writing. Look, I've been fan since 1975 and continued unabated until I saw them on the Say You Will Tour, I haven't seen Stevie solo since 1991! Thirty years ago. At one time in my circles, there was. no more devoted fan than yours truly.

In my opinion, had she kept focusing on her song writing, took better care of her voice and got help with her severe cocaine addiction, I think she could have carried it post Bella Donna. Therefore the induction into the RRHOF would've been truly genuine. The continuing fandom is remembering the Stevie of 75-83 not who she is now, is my strongly held opinion.
My story too, only the last time I saw her was 2001 and it was by far the worst of her performances. I saw FM twice in 2003 and she wasn't much better then either. It was also around this time I noticed that hew attitude in interviews was horrible. I can still enjoy the 75-83 material but I have NO desire to see her live ever again. Her current voice is excruciating. I think that she could sing at least a little bit better but she seems to think she sounds good and of course her YES people won't tell her otherwise. I just hope that I can sell 40 years of memorabilia that I have collected.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
...a slightly unfair comparison I think. They had similar profiles, but chose different paths in life. If Michelle Phillips had continued with music immediately after TMATP's she may well have had a significantly successful solo career.
btw- I'm surprised Stevie's has never attempted proper acting (aside from playing herself) or been offered roles.
I think she said she has been offered acting roles, after FM made the Gypsy video, but that she declined them. I do remember reading in USA Today that she turned down the role of Don Johnson’s lover in a story arc on Miami Vice, and that Melanie Griffith got the part, which resulted in their eventual marriage. I believe the role was a 3 part episode with Crockett being a bodyguard to a female rock star and falling in love with her. Don’t remember all the details so if anyone knows, feel free to add to or correct what I said.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's own admission is that she doesn't like being told what to do. She clearly put up with some of that in exchange for getting in a successful band and making hugely successful albums/tours with them. then she got solo success and her need to tolerate being told what to do by her bandmates decreased, until now she feels like they need her more than she needs them and she doesn't have to listen to ANY of them anymore if she doesn't want to.....and can have the offending party/parties removed from the band even, with an order sent from on high from her presidential suite.

No way she could tolerate taking direction on a film set. She was barely manageable by the directors of the band's videos or her own. Part of the reason Jimmy was out as producer in the end was because he didn't kiss her ass and say everything was great. No way he'd be able to hide her in the basement of his house after she got Bella Donna success, and especially after following it up with WH success to prove it wasn't just a fluke.

She's all about the power and control.