Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Ray Lindsey's new book

Having only just seen Richard Dashut's mention of it on his Twitter, I've just placed an order for Ray Lindsey's new book. I have to say I'm really looking forward to getting this. I enjoyed Ken's book but that obviously focused quite a lot on the technical details surrounding Rumours at times. I'm expecting Ray's book to be more expansive. I think Ray is an interesting character and should give a fresh perspective.

Has anyone already read this? If so...any good?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 08-27-2018 at 06:28 PM..
Old 08-27-2018, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just ordered it myself. Looking forward to hopefully a good read!
Old 08-27-2018, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He and Rick Turner were talking about it on Rick's fb page.

I'm planning on ordering it.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Having only just seen Richard Dashut's mention of it on his Twitter, I've just placed an order for Ray Lindsey's new book. I have to say I'm really looking forward to getting this. I enjoyed Ken's book but that obviously focused quite a lot on the technical details surrounding Rumours at times. I'm expecting Ray's book to be more expansive. I think Ray is an interesting character and should give a fresh perspective.

Has anyone already read this? If so...any good?
ordered yesterday, should be coming midweek. looking forward to reading it. interesting how this came out with no fanfare. i guess no scandalous headlines do that, make the book fly under the radar, even if it's from the band insider.

https://www.amazon.com/CARE-FEEDING-...ds=ray+lindsey

btw the book has interesting name so hoping for some humor, fun, and sarcasm - THE CARE AND FEEDING OF FLEETWOOD MAC AND OTHER SPECIES: A WILDLIFE GUIDE. it came out in paperback all the way back in June 30, 2018, 2 months ago.

here's part of the writeup about the book on amazon:

"In 1975 I was hired away from my sound company by Fleetwood Mac to drive a truck for their first tour with new members Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. For the next seven years I worked full time as truck driver, equipment guy, stage manager, guitar tuner, accountant, onstage guitar player, electronics guru, caterer, Rastafarian, bartender, chauffeur, security guard, baby sitter (child and adult), mechanic and medic. Traditionally known as a roadie. Many came and went but I was the only one besides the faithful Judy Wong who was there full time from beginning to end. It was a rare and supernatural ride void of game plan. Talent, instinct and destiny were the driving forces. As the band’s success grew, so did the power and chaos. There was an unstoppable energy that fed on itself and continually propelled us forward. Every week was more and bigger. More records sold and more sold out shows. Longer trucks with more equipment for bigger stages. Never-ending months in the studio. Extra buses and nicer planes. More, bigger, longer and louder was our normal. This was the beginning of the golden age of the business of live rock and roll and the early years of large scale tour production. There was a lot of money to be made playing in sports arenas and football stadiums. A new business model was inspiring long-haired innovators and entrepreneurs to elevate the aesthetics of live music events. This was done while raking in huge piles of partially accounted for cash. Creativity, commerce and the counterculture merged and clamored for a hip place on the grid. Fleetwood Mac and I landed right in the middle of this uncharted territory. We survived and succeeded the only way we knew how-on our own terms. Recently, a LIFE magazine writer contacted me for background information for the publication’s tribute to the band. His first question to me was “How do you become a roadie for Fleetwood Mac?” John McVie’s answer would be that I must have lost a bet but there's a lot more to it than that."

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 08-27-2018 at 09:37 PM..
Old 08-27-2018, 08:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
He and Rick Turner were talking about it on Rick's fb page.

I'm planning on ordering it.
oh thanks for the heads up. just went on Rick's page. nice exchange, now looking forward to reading it even more!

remember when all those Lindsey-haters kept stating how they wish Ray Lindsey wrote the book because there just must be bad blood between him and LB and his book will prove for sure how bad of a person LB must be? because you know how all these people who know nothing about LB and have never ever talked to him somehow know his character the best? yeah.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-27-2018, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
oh thanks for the heads up. just went on Rick's page. nice exchange, now looking forward to reading it even more!

remember when all those Lindsey-haters kept stating how they wish Ray Lindsey wrote the book because there just must be bad blood between him and LB and his book will prove for sure how bad of a person LB must be? because you know how all these people who know nothing about LB and have never ever talked to him somehow know his character the best? yeah.
I'm hoping for some dirty dirt on the band in it, BUT, on that "FM Roadie" video, Ray seemed very level headed. I can't imagine it selling many copies if it doesn't show us sides of them that the public isn't aware of.

I'm hoping for the worst.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm hoping for some dirty dirt on the band in it, BUT, on that "FM Roadie" video, Ray seemed very level headed. I can't imagine it selling many copies if it doesn't show us sides of them that the public isn't aware of.

I'm hoping for the worst.
hahaha somehow i think if this had tons of dirt it would already be advertised as such.

however, it seems like a must read for any FM fan. i love the show Roadies mainly for the atmosphere and the feeling of the tour, and this book seems to have that. plus it seems to be covering the heyday.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ordered mine just now. Really looking forward to this read.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i love the show Roadies
Hmmm. This makes me question everything.

Anyway, the people who think Ray will reveal the evil Lindsey are the same people who thought Christine left the band because she just couldn’t take Lindsey any more.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought it was interesting that Richard asked on Twitter if anyone had read Ken's book and that he hadn't because he didn't want to the dirty laundry aired. A lot of people backed him up and I tweeted that he should read it. It's not a lot of gossip and is actually about the recording of the Rumours album. And then I see him posting that he is getting ready to read Ray's book. Do he and Ken not have a very good relationship?

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 08-28-2018, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I thought it was interesting that Richard asked on Twitter if anyone had read Ken's book and that he hadn't because he didn't want to the dirty laundry aired. A lot of people backed him up and I tweeted that he should read it. It's not a lot of gossip and is actually about the recording of the Rumours album. And then I see him posting that he is getting ready to read Ray's book. Do he and Ken not have a very good relationship?
I don't think they were ever really close but generally had a good working relationship. Indeed I think they worked together into the 90's on a few projects.
I think there may have been a bit of animosity recently. I cant remember exactly what happened but I think Richard felt Ken was taking too much acclaim for the production of Rumours. There might have been an event at which Ken featured but Richard wasn't even mentioned.
Richard seems to be much more of a sentimental and emotional person. Ken seems much more clinical.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-28-2018, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I cant remember exactly what happened but I think Richard felt Ken was taking too much acclaim for the production of Rumours. There might have been an event at which Ken featured but Richard wasn't even mentioned.
Yeah--the "Dr Linda Papoudoplpous" documentary.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Hmmm. This makes me question everything.

Anyway, the people who think Ray will reveal the evil Lindsey are the same people who thought Christine left the band because she just couldn’t take Lindsey any more.
Michele!!!!!!

we miss you so so much!

Old 08-28-2018, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
Ken does not seem to have good relationships with many people named on sleeves of Mac records from that time.

maybe (likely!) Richard knows both Ken and Ray well? remember Ken's book was advertised with him giving interviews touting dirty laundry in the book. Ray book went completely under the radar for the last 2 months, and there was no indications of any dirty laundry being aired there.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have ordered an E-book and read it in two nights. Nice story, from 'his' point of view. No real dirt about the band, cool to read that Stevie was supposed to play guitar on GYOW (on stage).

Very nice stories about the way things went in the early days on the road.