User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Out of respect, the story is Carlos Santana visited Peter Green while the band was recording "The Green Manalishi" in London, 4/70. He asked Peter Green's permission to cover "Black Magic Woman". The "black magic" came before in Munich, 3/70 on a tour of Europe. .
Santana's "BMW" was recorded & released in 1969, so that "story" of Carlos asking permission while FMac was recording "Green Manalishi" is bullsh**.

Quote:
The irony of this blog post is that Peter Green's special "tone" wasn't heard until he formed Fleetwood Mac. While the blogger lists examples of tone (he does give credit to playing, barely), from John Mayall's "A Hard Road", it's still a factory stock '59 Les Paul. At the very least, the neck pickup was missing. ks.
Really? Then what do you call "The Supernatural"??? Also, listen to tracks from the Deluxe Edition of A Hard Road...the "quack" was there on tracks like "Greeny", "Rubber Duck" & "Curly"...well, before Fleetwood Mac was formed.

Last edited by chiliD; 06-29-2010 at 12:38 PM..
Old 06-30-2010, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Santana's "BMW" was recorded & released in 1969, so that "story" of Carlos asking permission while FMac was recording "Green Manalishi" is bullsh**..
Sorry, "Abraxas" (including "Black Magic Woman") wasn't released until 9/70, four months after Peter Green left Fleetwood Mac. I didn't pull that anecdote from thin air, have you read the Christopher Hjort book on the British Blues movement? That book has been a godsend compiling media publications from the period, and pasting them together into a cohesive story about that great period from '65-'70 with Mayall, Cream, FM, Derek and the Dominoes, and the Stones.

Quote:
Really? Then what do you call "The Supernatural"??? Also, listen to tracks from the Deluxe Edition of A Hard Road...the "quack" was there on tracks like "Greeny", "Rubber Duck" & "Curly"...well, before Fleetwood Mac was formed.
I have the deluxe edition of "A Hard Road", and all the tracks you mention do not have that "tone". First off, "The Supernatural" was done in the fall of '66 as it was part of the original "AHR" album. Peter Green didn't have his pickup problem until at least late winter/early spring '67. You're confusing echo with "out of phase". "Greeny" to my ears is pure bridge tone, as are "Rubber Duck", & especially "Curly". "Curly" sounds like Jeff Beck so that immediately rules out "out of phase".

The second track from "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac", play it now if you own it ("Merry Go Round")! That's is "THE TONE"! It's thin, and honky, there is no John Mayall song with Peter Green that has that tone.

BTW, why are you defending that blog? The guy was completely clueless. You of all people should've known that, or at least I thought you did. Now I wonder.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wasn't defending anything....I'm more of a prosecutor.

Just yankin' yo' chain. I was just being "full o' crap". Just trying to get a response. "Let's see what happens if I jab with this stick" kinda thing.

Like the Monty Python skit: "Uh....I'd like to have an argument please...."

"No it isn't"

"Yes it is"

"No it isn't"

Old 06-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Just yankin' yo' chain. I was just being "full o' crap". Just trying to get a response. "Let's see what happens if I jab with this stick" kinda thing.

"No it isn't"

"Yes it is"

"No it isn't"

Marvellous:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y
Old 06-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

"No it isn't"

"Yes it is"

"No it isn't"

Thanks for making me feel like Dr. Temperance Brennan, while you're Seeley Booth. (Netflix turned me into a "Bones" fan)

"Thank YOU Bicycle Repair Man!"

"My hovercraft is full of eels."

"'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!! " haha

This is my favorite MPFC sketch, it's a mockumentary on a boxer named Ken Clean Air Systems;

"Every morning, he jogs the forty-seven miles from his two-bedroomed, eight-bathroom, six-up-two-down, three-to-go-house in Reigate, to the Government's Pesticide Research Centre at Shoreham. Nobody knows why."

Last edited by slipkid; 06-30-2010 at 11:48 PM..
Old 07-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for making me feel like Dr. Temperance Brennan, while you're Seeley Booth. (Netflix turned me into a "Bones" fan)
I like to think of myself as a blues guitarist version of Jack Hodgins.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I like to think of myself as a blues guitarist version of Jack Hodgins.
So you like to be left for dead somewhere in a southwest desert by Billy Gibbons after you (Jack Hodgins) broke it off with his daughter Angela? You know Billy was/is a Peter Green fan, how great is that?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So you like to be left for dead somewhere in a southwest desert by Billy Gibbons after you (Jack Hodgins) broke it off with his daughter Angela? You know Billy was/is a Peter Green fan, how great is that?
Oh, of course! But, if you'd seen the last season's ending episode, Jack & Angela ride off into the sunset together.

Just listen to:

Brown Sugar
Just Got Back From Baby's
Blue Jean Blues
Asleep In The Desert (basically a Tex-Mex version of "Oh Well, Part 2")

Any of those it would hard to distinguish Rev Willy from Peter Green's playing.