User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
yeah that's the thing. It *could* in theory be just a scheduling thing, but there's something really 'off' about their body language, their demeanor, their use of a very careful script that suggest there is far more to this.

I was thinking about that earlier today. It is in everyone's best interests to just say "it was a scheduling conflict" and move on. Whatever the rest of it was, no matter who was at fault, they don't want to talk about it.

So what might it have been? Knowing these guys, it could be literally ANYTHING you could imagine and a lot we probably would never have imagined, and therefore that's why people are just pondering different possibilities. I wouldn't say all of it is conspiracy theories, I would just say it's people who have followed this dysfunctional bunch for so long tossing out actual possibilities in an effort to understand.

Stories have been shared that something ugly happened the night of Musicares (1/26). Of course it didn't show onstage because they are all professionals onstage. But whatever it was it seems to have been enough that Stevie said she couldn't/would't work with Lindsey again. Did it get physical? Did they just say vicious things to each other? We don't know. Lindsey certainly from his demeanor with fans the next day (1/27) didn't think it was something that would break up the band. It seems like Chris didn't think it was something that would break up the band either, as she flew off to London and (though it is distinctly possible she's just saying nothing because she wants to stay out of it) but she gives no indication something made her go back to London thiking/knowing the band was going to break up.

Mike was called almost immediately after Musicares. He was locked in by 6 days later (2/1). In the Sirius interview Neil says he was called 2 weeks before the band met in Maui. They met there on 3/21 so he was called late Feb. Mick says Mike was already confirmed and definitely in the band by then (and really sooner, coz he himself admits he was called by *Mick* on 2/1. Notice that still leaves the definite possibility that *Stevie* called him before that.) Personally, I just can't imagine the first call he'd get was from Mick, given how close he and Stevie are. My opinion is she would have contacted him to feel him out before that, but who knows.

So given how fast Mike was signed on, even if we just go by the official story, it would make only 6 days after musicares.... the decision to go without Lindsey was made very very fast but not by everyone. LB didn't seem to convey he was out the day after the show, and Chris didn't seem to indicate he was out after the show, but within a matter of days he was out and Mike was in. Given Stevie's relationship with Mike, and knowing he was out of a gig at the time, it's hard NOT to imagine Stevie telling Mick she cannot work with him again, and immediately thinking of Mike. It would seem Mick was an easy sell on this, but they had to convince John that they should give Lindsey the boot first.

Neill took them a bit longer to decide on. Stevie says on CBS they sat around a table and listened to everyone they could think of to pick someone....was Chris part of that?? That is so not clear. Was she still in London? But it didn't take more than a week or two, given that he was called around 3/7 (which is exactly 2 weeks before they met and played in Maui).

I'm just thinking that everyone thought blaming it on scheduling kept their dirty laundry private which benefits (they think) everyone. Lindsey won't come out and say "no it wasn't scheduling, it was actually that I had a massive anger fit and said these awful things" (I'm just positing a hypothesis here). So they know they can say "scheduling" and it whitewashes EVERYONE'S bad behavior.

The problem is they are telegraphing in other ways (intentional or unintentional-- and I tend to think unintentionally) that they are lying, or not being fully truthful. Whether LB will ever say what it was depends on how much of what really happened will reflect poorly on him.

This band still has a dysfunctional loyalty of covering their dirty laundry. It's just a question now if LB will play along with it.
This sounds really bad but I think the fact that Lindsey has something of a bad reputation is being used by the band in their favor. Because he's been known throughout the years for being stubborn and bad tempered, they're using that to their advantage to put it all on him.
And I don't think anything really big happened at MusiCares. If anything he just snapped at Karen like someone mentioned, hardly anything memorable. But it had all been thought out before that so what was going to happen, happened anyways.
And I think Lindsey's PR strategy is just to not comment much on things. In the post-Tango era he pretty much just made one statement saying he did not want to go on the road after the album and that he wishes the band well. When Stevie was slandering his name in the press in those years, people reached out for his reps to comment and they never did.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
This sounds really bad but I think the fact that Lindsey has something of a bad reputation is being used by the band in their favor. Because he's been known throughout the years for being stubborn and bad tempered, they're using that to their advantage to put it all on him.
And I don't think anything really big happened at MusiCares. If anything he just snapped at Karen like someone mentioned, hardly anything memorable.
But it had all been thought out before that so what was going to happen, happened anyways.
And I think Lindsey's PR strategy is just to not comment much on things. In the post-Tango era he pretty much just made one statement saying he did not want to go on the road after the album and that he wishes the band well. When Stevie was slandering his name in the press in those years, people reached out for his reps to comment and they never did.
yup. and that's why Lindsey and Christine didn't even think of it, from his demeanor day after with fans, and from what Christine is saying in these interviews. and she was there and saw whatever happened at musicares.

the timeline shows that it was all ready to go: just needed to provoke LB somehow to snap at someone or other (supposedly Karen in this case, and SN self-admittedly knows exactly how to push his buttons when she wants to!) and the plan was put into motion!

they were gonna say he left them, once again, right before the already booked tour. people would be mad at him and feel for them. the only little bump in the road - he didn't want to leave. he dug in and was not going with their story. i'd have to assume he didn't want to sign away anything, none of his Mac member rights. the [ugly] truth that he was ousted came out.

i know these are just wiki pages, but i find it interesting that FM page says LB left in 2018. LB wiki page says he was fired in 2018.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-28-2018, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

.....Machiavellian....almost.
I think, now, that the scheming or at least bad thoughts could have begun
earlier....
Back to Buckingham=Mcvie.
Maybe Stevie was really upset at how much fun Lindsey and Christine had.
Maybe seeds were sown (no pun intended) in the months since her solo tour.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
.....Machiavellian....almost.
I think, now, that the scheming or at least bad thoughts could have begun
earlier....
Back to Buckingham=Mcvie.
Maybe Stevie was really upset at how much fun Lindsey and Christine had.
Maybe seeds were sown (no pun intended) in the months since her solo tour.
She wasn’t just upset, she was jealous. Of their closeness. Something she and Lindsey hadn’t shared in a long time.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.

Last edited by button-lip; 04-28-2018 at 06:04 PM..
Old 04-28-2018, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
She wasn’t just upset, she was jealous. Of their closeness. Something she and Lindsey hadn’t share in a long time.
....What a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive...
Old 04-28-2018, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
She wasn’t just upset, she was jealous. Of their closeness. Something she and Lindsey hadn’t shared in a long time.
Yeah she was jealous over them working on World Turning together so I can imagine how piqued she was over an entire album and tour..but that is just one of the factors in her treacherous machinations IMO.