Default great video

the tone was beautiful
Old 02-24-2009, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Oh yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
the tone was beautiful

Can anyone speculate PG' s setup? Could it be an EC Strat into a Fender '65 Deluxe Twin Reverb? I'm so proud of that 'Albatross' footage on so many levels. 1) Performance. I've seen Youtube footage of Peter Green with his Splinter Group, and he looks like a unwilling robot. 2) Tone. Of all the guitarists of his generation, along with Gilmour, Townshend, and Jesse Ed Davis, they were the few that knew how an electric guitar should sound. This performance proves that he hasn't lost that edict.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:17 AM
Ledgie

Thumbs up Thanks to Wouter & dino

Thank you very much for the setlist, Wouter
"Rainy Night In Georgia" - wonder how Peter Green did Tony Joe White's song?
Thank you very much dino for the "Albatross"-link.

Last edited by Popmuseum; 02-24-2009 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: I forgot to thank dino for the "Albatross"-link
Old 02-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Albatross (Albert Ross ) from the gig is up at Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH9YBnJ1E4U

Absolutely beautiful guitar tone. And it sounds really good with double bass.
Wonder if the guy taped more of the gig.
I'm happy to see Peter playing so beautifully !!!

Thanks dino for this link.

Krzysztof
Old 02-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Can anyone speculate PG' s setup? Could it be an EC Strat into a Fender '65 Deluxe Twin Reverb? I'm so proud of that 'Albatross' footage on so many levels. 1) Performance. I've seen Youtube footage of Peter Green with his Splinter Group, and he looks like a unwilling robot. 2) Tone. Of all the guitarists of his generation, along with Gilmour, Townshend, and Jesse Ed Davis, they were the few that knew how an electric guitar should sound. This performance proves that he hasn't lost that edict.
You know where the tone comes from bro he could be playing a cheapo squire or whatever (no offence squire can be good if set up nice) its in his fingers completely.It don´t matter what type of guitar he plays peter will always sound like peter. Although he loves his reverb .
Old 02-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmanastrat View Post
You know where the tone comes from bro he could be playing a cheapo squire or whatever (no offence squire can be good if set up nice) its in his fingers completely.It don´t matter what type of guitar he plays peter will always sound like peter. Although he loves his reverb .
Yes, yes, it's all in the hands. Yet that tone is too rich to just be "hands". I have a friend who has a 1991 Squire Strat. Compared to the ones they make today, it might as well be a proper Fender Strat. Today's Squires are manufactured on the cheap.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Any good handwired boutique tube amp would do the trick, all the fender and marshall off the shelf ones suck. They are made with printed circuit boards mass manufactured in china and dont sound like the original ones. They are dead noisey too and cost as much as a non big named handwired amp. If your looking for that kind of set up you either need an original from back in the day or one of the new "boutique amps".
You know this is one of the things i don´t understand about the so called modern guitar greats steve vai etc when can you ever hear them just play a guitar plugged straight into an amp with no effects...never been impressed by bells and whistles of the modern metalers...well i think i´ve started ranting so i will end it there.
Agreed though great greeny tone as ever.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmanastrat View Post
Any good handwired boutique tube amp would do the trick, all the fender and marshall off the shelf ones suck. They are made with printed circuit boards mass manufactured in china and dont sound like the original ones. They are dead noisey too and cost as much as a non big named handwired amp. If your looking for that kind of set up you either need an original from back in the day or one of the new "boutique amps".
You know this is one of the things i don´t understand about the so called modern guitar greats steve vai etc when can you ever hear them just play a guitar plugged straight into an amp with no effects...never been impressed by bells and whistles of the modern metalers...well i think i´ve started ranting so i will end it there.
Agreed though great greeny tone as ever.

Speaking of "boutique amps", I saw one reviewed on Guitar World on-demand about a year ago. It was a Victoria Victorilux, and it had the sweetest tone I'd ever heard. It had two Jensen speakers, and I swear the amp was putting out a 3-D stereo effect.
Yours for around $2795.

My friend with the old Squire has a 2005 Fender Blues Jr. amp, which sounds "ok" to my ears. I also know there's a tube, and circuit board upgrade for this amp that really makes it cook.

As for the modern metalers the scooped out mid-range tone really grates on me. Worse, they actually make amps specifically for this sound.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

You can get a excellent boutique amp for under 1000 euros im sure, i dont know what the conversion rate is but if your in the usa im sure u could get one under 1000 dollars.
Plus it would last you a lifetime so its a good investment.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Junior Ledgie

ah, it's an equipment thread now. Well, boutique amps are for lawyers, doctors and other non-players into expensive toys. I've witnessed many performances by great players with absolute crap-equipment and they sounded great. BB King plays a solid state amp, so what?
Gear is a nice obsession for many "musicians" but ultimately irrelevant and a waste of time, IMO.
Great to see Peter Green play!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
ah, it's an equipment thread now. Well, boutique amps are for lawyers, doctors and other non-players into expensive toys. I've witnessed many performances by great players with absolute crap-equipment and they sounded great. BB King plays a solid state amp, so what?
Gear is a nice obsession for many "musicians" but ultimately irrelevant and a waste of time, IMO.
Great to see Peter Green play!

Yes, yes, "it's all in the hands". We know B.B. King has a special guitar with a pull switch that allows him to play solos "out of phase", just like Green's original LP.

I need to know what solid state amps B.B. is using these days. I just can't believe that statement. (sorry ) Then again...no, that's for another subject.

Last edited by slipkid; 02-25-2009 at 01:58 AM..
Old 02-25-2009, 03:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default in the last 10 years BB King lists this

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Yes, yes, "it's all in the hands". We know B.B. King has a special guitar with a pull switch that allows him to play solos "out of phase", just like Green's original LP.

I need to know what solid state amps B.B. is using these days. I just can't believe that statement. (sorry ) Then again...no, that's for another subject.
he uses a stock
Lab 5 Amp with 2 12 jensen speakers
on the road when requesting amplification
he uses a Fender Twin with 2 12 lansing speakers( he will not use a fender twin II)dont know what year
(this is from his road manager included with book BB King "Treasures"

In the sixties and seventies he travelled with two fender Twins He had one channel for each input of the gibson stereo. ES355TDSV
everything else was TONE

doodyhead, mel and vinnie
Old 02-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What's the definition of a "boutique" amp? I'm curious.
I play a little and may buy a new amp soon.
Are tubes the way to go?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Well i would recommend tubes for sure for several different reasons. One of the features of a good tube amp is that it responds well to how you attack the note, they can be very dynamic and sensitive to the controls and volume of your guitar which is nice.
I´m a firm beliver in plugging straight into the amp without any junk inbetween, cheeky touch reverb is nice and a wah wah for a change of sound every now and then, for i´m a beliver that its all in the hands, although have you heard santana these days since he stopped using the SG he has a horrible tone.
I digress a little so depends what you want though and what your gonna use it for. If your just gonna have a practise amp then obviously spending loads of cash on a expensive one is a bit of an indulgence. If your playing in a band then i would definetly recommend one. Valve amps basically are the best but usually at a cost.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
What's the definition of a "boutique" amp? I'm curious.
I play a little and may buy a new amp soon.
Are tubes the way to go?
Boutique amps are tube driven (usually) hand made amps , with only the best materials. They are supposed to resemble (in sound) the amps made by Fender, Marshall, and Vox (among others) in the 50's and 60's.