User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Yeah, because Lord only knows that making a few bad decisions in life basically gives society permission to treat you as less than human. I have a Master of Social Work degree from Ohio State, a job, and very low overhead, and even I find myself in a situation where I have to be extremely cautious with my finances.

The leading cause of homelessness is poverty. If a person is born into poverty, does not have educated parents, and goes to a terrible school system, where people are more focused on surviving the day than ABCs and 123s, can you honestly say with a straight face that they had a REAL opportunity for getting an education?
That's a good point. And honestly, I guess I never thought of it like that- bad school systems, poverty, etc.

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
No, but WE did...it's like they were left there to die almost.
Yes, it is. That was what Kanye West was alluding to the other night, I believe. Some people are talking about genocide.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really hate to admit this but you guys are starting to change my mind on this whole issue...

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 09-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
With all the technology today, no one should have died. This could have been avoided right?
Technology doesn't save us all from the ravages of Nature ... or even from our own folly. Large storms will continue to hit crowded coasts, but no amount of planning & action will ever completely prevent death.

However, countries can stack the odds in their favor: for example, a Gulf coastline with much less residential development below sea level & so close to shore could significantly reduce the number of deaths in a hurricane.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Thousands are officially dead from Hurricane Katrina. Not one person should have died. They knew it was coming and that it was strong. I saw the warnings on the weather channel a day before it was near the coast.

They should have gotten out the poor without cars. They should have gotten everyone out.

With all the technology today, no one should have died. This could have been avoided right? Why did so many have to die for no reason???
Janet, please, be realistic. Of course at least one person would die. Many people REFUSED to leave. Should they have been hit on the head and kidnapped? As for the poor, it's so easy to say "more should have been done! More should have been done! Obviously if one person died someone screwed up!!" Here we are in the comfort of our homes. We weren't there trying to get people out. We weren't there trying our best to save as many people as possible. But we still have the nerve to sit here and gripe how those people just didn't do good enough, according to us, in all our wisdom and vast knowledge about hurricane preparation and relief. Perhaps you know of some of the magical ways technology could have prevented every single death? If so, please alert the proper authorities.

It is absolutely absurd to argue that anyone wanted this massive amount of death.

Last edited by sodascouts; 09-04-2005 at 02:45 PM..
Old 09-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
But we still have the nerve to sit here and gripe how those people just didn't do good enough, according to us, in all our wisdom and vast knowledge about hurricane preparation and relief. Perhaps you know of some of the magical ways technology could have prevented one death and alert the proper authorities?
It's not wisdom, it's f*cking common sense. Common sense dictates that you don't wait days before you start sending in help. Common sense dictates that you don't play cards while people around you are dying. Common sense dictates that instead of organizing photo-ops, you should be organizing the relief effort. I find it pretty low of you to accuse people of griping about such a horrific disaster, as if you're trying to apply a negative connotation to the anger people feel over this mess, just as I find it pretty disgusting for you to mock the concern people have over this with petty sarcasm about our "wisdom" and the "magic" of technology.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It is absolutely absurd to argue that anyone wanted this massive amount of death.
Just as it's absurd for some to argue that this is the best that we can do and that this disaster was adequately responded to.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
It's not wisdom, it's f*cking common sense. Common sense dictates that you don't wait days before you start sending in help. Common sense dictates that you don't play cards while people around you are dying. Common sense dictates that instead of organizing photo-ops, you should be organizing the relief effort. I find it pretty low of you to accuse people of griping about such a horrific disaster, as if you're trying to apply a negative connotation to the anger people feel over this mess, just as I find it pretty disgusting for you to mock the concern people have over this with petty sarcasm about our "wisdom" and the "magic" of technology.
And I find it disgusting how everybody seems more eager to find someone to blame and condemn than to focus on the positives that people are getting saved and helped. It frustrates me that people like you believe they have the answers to everything, and therefore self-righteously going around proclaiming it. Did you read the answers about buses posted earlier? Guess what. It's not as simple as you'd like to think and maybe someone needs to tell you that. Sorry if you don't like it.

Old 09-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Did you see the interview on Meet the Press with the Aaron Broussard, president of Jefferson Parish, La.? He broke down while telling NBC's Tim Russert the story of the death of the mother of one of the parish’s employees.

Go to www.msnbc.com and click on Video: She Drowned Friday Night.

So very sad.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 09-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
And I find it disgusting how everybody seems more eager to find someone to blame and condemn than to focus on the positives that people are getting saved and helped. It frustrates me that people like you believe they have the answers to everything, and therefore self-righteously going around proclaiming it. Did you read the answers about buses posted earlier? Guess what. It's not as simple as you'd like to think and maybe someone needs to tell you that. Sorry if you don't like it.
It frustrates me that someone is so naive that they actually don't believe there was vast governmental incompetence, and that much more could have been done much sooner if the people in charge weren't either: A) incompetent, idiotic, and shortsighted...or B) Didn't give a rat's ass....or C) A tasty combination of both.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 09-04-2005 at 03:06 PM..
Old 09-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
And all your wonderful sarcasm is always a plus!
Old 09-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Brava...!
Old 09-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I never once claimed to have the answers, I claimed that this was handled in a way that is shameful. I find it incredibly hard to believe that this relief effort couldn't be more organized and put into action much sooner. Am I happy that people are finally getting out of there? You can bet your sorry ass. But I'm incensed that these people had to go for days without food, water, medical attention, or rescue all because of bureaucratic red tape, fingerpointing, and time spent giving lousy press conferences and setting up photo-ops. I'm incensed that politicians are congratualting each other instead of once making a statement in the media for those who are trapped, dying, and suffering not to give up hope. I'm incensed that these politicians are playing around as if this is some PR playground instead of getting their hands dirty and helping people. Tell the mothers whose children have been raped that the best job is being done, tell that to those who slept on the highway amongst dead bodies and rats for days. If you don't feel that way, that's you, but it takes some serious gall for you to attack the people who do with sarcasm and your holier-than-thou attitude that you enjoying parading about whenever you get the chance. My apologies if you don't like it.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
It frustrates me that someone is so naive that they actually don't believe there was vast governmental incompetence, and that much more could have been done much sooner if the people in charge weren't either: A) incompetent, idiotic, and shortsighted...or B) Didn't give a rat's ass....or C) A tasty combination of both.
Well said.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation "There Cannot Be An American..."

ANTHRAX - "There Cannot Be An American Out There That Feels Good Right Now"

ANTHRAX drummer Charlie Benante has posted the following rant at the band's official website in the wake of the American government's perceived failure to properly aid the victims of Hurricane Katrina.

"There cannot be an American out there that feels good right now. I know my voice means ****. In fact, the way I feel right now, nobody's voice means a thing. Is Louisiana in America?? It doesn't look like it to me. These politicians are so concerned with making sure they pat themselves on the back and say 'Congressman so and so did such a great job.' WHAT?? I'm sure you are watching what I have been watching. Who the hell is doing A GREAT JOB? I was so happy to see CNN's Anderson Cooper become human and let his emotions come out and be REAL!

Our Prez does not have the capability to handle these type of things. Please don't jump all over me for saying this. I truly believe it. I just don't 'feel it' with him.

What took so long? Why did the Prez on the second day of this tragedy fly to San Diego and not to Louisiana? Why so late to act on this? WHY WHY WHY? We will never get an answer! Think about it. Even if you are a Bush supporter... think for a second. Oh, I bet you have some answer if you're a Bush supporter - never mind.

These people are taking any means necessary down there. I would do the same. If your kids, your girl, your mom were dying and needed water or food, what would you do??

We all will pay for this too. Watch how our insurance goes up and gas will go up more. Why don't they take the tax off of the gas price? People need to get to work, how can they afford to fill their tanks? It cost $52.00 to fill my tank today, and it wasn't even filled up, hahahahaha. I gotta laugh. Make me a Hybrid that has some style for God's sake!

I am so sorry for what has happened to you people down there my heart and my donation has gone out to you. I am emotional and venting.

Links to donate below. Thanks for reading.

Embarrassed and Sad,
Charlie B.

redcross.org
salvationarmyusa.org

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 09-04-2005 at 03:11 PM..