User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinLine
Fascinating. Is there something in the FAQ I missed about not being able to voice an opinion or complain until you have X number of posts? Is that number, 100, 300, 3300 or 7900? Johnny, Marty....when does a poster pass and go and have the right to voice their opinion or complain?

You may not care, but as I have explained these forums are not just for the people who participate, they are for anyone who is a fan and cares to read them. There have been many fans who have dropped out and into lurker mode over the years, it's no surprise. There are also hundreds of fans who read these forums on a regular basis and don't choose to participate, it's not mandatory.

If you or Carne or anyone else is not interested in my opinon or the opinions of people who don't have the X number of posts that has not been clarified, you have a choice to not read them or not respond to them. You and Carne and any other poster do not get to decide who has a right to voice an opinion or complain. At least not the last time I looked at the FAQ.

As shocking as this might seem to some, there are many people who do post here and won't get involved posting on this forum in threads like this because of the kind of reaction they're greeted with.
No, I was speaking towards your suggestion that there are many people who do not post but also don't like what goes on here. Why should anyone care what they think unless they post? Sounds pretty easy to understand.

Stop dressing an indefensible argument in a Gucci dress, because no matter how pretty it may look, there's nothing to it.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca

Well, I question where you're getting this, but it's moot, because the owner wasn't harassed or disrespected.
In your opinion, and therein lies the problem.

Quote:
Do you wear a cape and fly?
Yes, did I forget to mention that?
Old 08-25-2004, 08:54 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
No, I was speaking towards your suggestion that there are many people who do not post but also don't like what goes on here. Why should anyone care what they think unless they post? Sounds pretty easy to understand.

Stop dressing an indefensible argument in a Gucci dress, because no matter how pretty it may look, there's nothing to it.
You may not care but just as I am not speaking for everyone who posts or reads these forums, there are others who are reading this and do care. There's no reason I can't voice what other people are feeling even if they don't want to or are afraid to participate for fear of the reaction they'll get if they disagree with certain posters. This thread is a perfect example of that.

I'm not dressing anything up, I'm only trying to state that just because people are not posting that they're upset, it doesn't mean they aren't out there.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinLine
Yes, did I forget to mention that?
Seriously, dude, that's more like it. You've done little but fight with people since you started posting. Was that the impression you wanted to make?

Why not take this opportunity to start anew?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Um . . . what I don't get is why people don't understand that communicating an opinion on something can be more about how it is communicated than what the actual opinion is.

People have the right to their opinions and to express them. But it is another thing entirely to be passive aggressive, discounting, and verbally abusive in expressing your thoughts on a particular issue.

Please note: I am not directing this at anyone, it is mearly a general comment on how people communicate with one another.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4stevie
Um . . . what I don't get is why people don't understand that communicating an opinion on something can be more about how it is communicated than what the actual opinion is.

People have the right to their opinions and to express them. But it is another thing entirely to be passive aggressive, discounting, and verbally abusive in expressing your thoughts on a particular issue.

Please note: I am not directing this at anyone, it is mearly a general comment on how people communicate with one another.
Please note: I'm not directing this at you (which is to say I am, since you were really directing yours at me but wouldn't admit it) but why restart this whole discussion now? Let sleeping dogs lie, no?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Not everyone is fond of The Ledge, and we realize that. But there are several other wonderful message boards in the Mac community (though they each have their own set of rules and guidelines, too), so there are plenty of options out there.
I would like to post on Travis & George's board! Could somebody tell me its location?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Seriously, dude, that's more like it. You've done little but fight with people since you started posting. Was that the impression you wanted to make.

Why not take this opportunity to start anew?
I see your mood has lightened from earlier today, that's certainly helping this thread.

I posted about what I thought was wrong. I didn't think I had to earn any brownie points before I could take on a serious topic. Before telling me about what I've done wrong, you might go back and read my post to Mari and then the response you gave me. I didn't need the sarcastic remark if you disagreed with my opinion.

I don't want to fight with anyone but just as you have your strong feelings about censorship and other issues, I have mine about respect and harassment. Somehow that got lost in all this tit for tat bickering. Hopefully we can agree to disagree in the future without 20 posts going back and forth.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Please note: I'm not directing this at you (which is to say I am, since you were really directing yours at me but wouldn't admit it) but why restart this whole discussion now? Let sleeping dogs lie, no?
This is an honest question... in what way was Mad4Stevie "re-starting" the whole discussion?
She posted two minutes after your latest response to ThinLine... it's not like the conversation had died out or had gone dormant.

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 08-25-2004 at 09:15 PM..
Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I would like to post on Travis & George's board! Could somebody tell me its location?
Travis & George don't have a message board.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:15 PM

Quote:
This is an honest question... in what was was Mad4Stevie "re-starting" the whole discussion?
She posted two minutes after your latest response to ThinLine... it's not like the conversation had died out or had gone dormant.
It was winding down. But I'll be glad to keep it going.

Another honest question: Did you believe for a second she wasn't directing her comments at me?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It was winding down. But I'll be glad to keep it going.

Another honest question: Did you believe for a second she wasn't directing her comments at me?
Here's my honest answer: At this point, it looks to me that there are about a half dozen people she could be directing her comments towards.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Here's my honest answer: At this point, it looks to me that there are about a half dozen people she could be directing her comments towards.
And that's a pretty predictable answer, Johnny. God forbid you agree with me.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
And that's a pretty predictable answer, Johnny. God forbid you agree with me.
When I agree with you, I admit it. And while she very well may have been commenting on your behaviour, she also very well may have been commenting on several other people's behaviour. So I called it as I see it.

By the way, you've gotten quite good at predicting people's responses lately... this must all be rather tedious to you now. Perhaps the old cliché is true... "familiarity breeds contempt."
Old 08-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
NO, I was not directing this at you - if I direct anything at someone specific, I usually quote them. But you do seem to know an awful lot about what everyone else's intentions are here This is not about you. I was only making a general comment about how people state their opinions. However, it does make me wonder why you are so defensive.

It appears that no one can even post a general comment, disclaimer or not, without ruffling someone's feathers.

And why can't I give my opinion on the tone of this thread? You appear to be doing the very thing that you are accusing others of doing - stopping the communication of ideas.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .