Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ½ ¡Ñ§ÅñË ®
You saw stars? I wouldn’t wanna have to clean up that mess. How did everyone else fair?
HEE!!!

<3<3<3<3
Old 08-25-2004, 07:49 PM

Ok I didn't chime in before and still don't exactly know what was said in Burnish.

But I will say this:

I hate censorship for the most part. I belong to a "Rush" board and it makes this board look like "In The Meantime" (that was for u dissention & carne).

Unless there's libel, major insults (which sometimes is fun to read), or threatening statements being made I don't see why a thread should be locked. (having said that I did not see what you guys are talking about in the questioned thread) Anyone remember the Bob Welch thread in 1996?

I wanted to chime in because I've been here forever and I like all u guys. Even ChiliD! The way I survive these boards is my golden rule. Don't take anything personally. The internet is like a car, people get real cocky when they don't have to face other people directly. So they have extra Bravado. That's really not the case on this board. But we are not children, so I think it should be more of a group effort on the part of the older ledgies to control the censorship. And if something is locked it's always nice to give the supporting cast and explanation, and hopefully it's a good one. So if someone could post what was said about Burnish or PM me I'd appreciate it. It's our FM community and we should be able to fight, harmonize and get over it together.

Now repeat after me.
In The Meantime is a Masterpiece!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
Mutual decision? How can that be when the thread creator is here protesting the deletion?
A mutual decision made within the group of moderators.

Quote:
You must feel you do, or you would have just ignored the whole thing, no?
I have seen in the past what happens if you don't feel your comments and criticisms are being handled or attended to. So I deemed it best to offer an explanation. Owed, or otherwise.

As moderators, we can't help it that we can't please all 2,384 registered members here, but we try our best to tackle issues when they arise, and we try our best to make sure that things run as smoothly as possible.

Constructive suggestions and concerns are always welcome, but, as has been said... if anyone has fundamental issues with the way things are run here, and are displeased by the decisions we make, they're more than welcome to find another message board on which to post.

Not everyone is fond of The Ledge, and we realize that. But there are several other wonderful message boards in the Mac community (though they each have their own set of rules and guidelines, too), so there are plenty of options out there.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
The threads concerning Mick's site and board were allowed, because it involved very honest criticisms that fans had in regards to the way things were being run.
I guess you missed the constant expletives and the constant libelous accusations that were grounds for a lawsuit if Mick and his buddy who was running the site at the time wanted to pursue it.

Quote:
And if you'll recall, it was stated even then that derogatory comments made about the posters on Mick's board weren't acceptable here, and the moderators here stepped-in when comments made by posters on Mick's board, were being quoted here.
No, I don't recall. My memory must be failing me. Because I saw thread after thread full of gratuitous insults, libelous accusations and expletives.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinLine
I did, you said it and I quoted it back to you.
You didn't, I didn't say it, and you haven't quoted it back to me. Where's the quote?

Quote:
Take it, leave it, read it, don't read it, put me on your ignore function....... but you don't control my right to post when I think something is wrong.
Right back acha.

Quote:
You also don't control this site, where there are stickies placed, how many there are or how Marty and the moderators run this site.
I am well aware of that. You, however, seemed to think you could do whatever you wanted and insist on discussing the Burnish situation after the moderator asked you not to. Don't you feel a little silly taking this line of argument when you were clearly so wrong?

Quote:
I don't need to stick around, I've been around and like I said, probably a lot longer than you.
Whatever, dude. You've made the point, and I remain unimpressed by it.

Quote:
You've been back peddling for a few posts now.
I'm not sure what back peddling is.

Quote:
The only point you've made is showing everyone that you have no respect for the site owner and you're not willing to back down and think you can bully other posters, old or new into submission. For someone who doesn't like to take orders you do a good job of ordering other people around.
I have not ordered anyone around. Marty has addressed me, and I've addressed him. Why do you keep getting involved? Were you elected arbitrator?

Quote:
I don't think Marty's taking any orders from you anytime soon, but as I stated in my other post it bothers many people to see site owners harrassed and disrespected on their own site.
So now, not only have you been around longer than I have, you know me so well, but you also know what all these other many people are thinking?
Old 08-25-2004, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Constructive suggestions and concerns are always welcome, but, as has been said... if anyone has fundamental issues with the way things are run here, and are displeased by the decisions we make, they're more than welcome to find another message board on which to post.
I keep reading that, Johnny. You guys have the power.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:10 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Marty, you sure have spent a considerable amount of time inviting me to leave. You have the power if you don't want me around. Why keep sounding the same note?
We have not indiscriminantly 'invite' people to leave the board. *Very* few people have ever been banned. But it doesn't seem to me that you understand that the entire board, its management, and what is acceptable around here or not is going to change for *you*. It's simply not.

Quote:
All this because I questioned a couple of things on the site? Is that not allowed? ... when you can't seem to take a little criticism. I asked some questions, is all.
I can take criticism. If I could not, this thread would have been deleted after the initial post and you would have been banned. The moderators have not banned people that just disagree with us. I think you know this.

Quote:
Marty, I accept what's humorous to me is not humorous to everyone. If the bolding and colors bother you, can't you disable them?
Of course they could be disabled, but is that the answer? I am sure that you know proper net etiquette and capital letters with red text plus the tone and wording involved is just shouting. *Please* re-read the message and consider it from the perspective of someone that did not find the humor it in. I think you could reasonably understand why one might find it insulting.

Quote:
With all due respect, I violated nothing in the FAQ. So I find it somewhat baffling that you are taking issue with something I posted because it doesn't meet your standards of good manners. I can accept it doesn't, but for you to make a point of it strikes me as unnecessary. I broke no rules.
Did I say you broke the FAQ? Has this thread been locked and the 'discussion' squelched? Have you received any strikes from this thread? 'No' on all three.

Quote:
I thought that one was pretty good. I have a long list of things to do tonight that, surprisingly, do not involve The Ledge. So that's all for now.

- Marty
Old 08-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Registered

Quote:

So now, not only have you been around longer than I have, you know me so well, but you also know what all these other many people are thinking?
I didn't state that I know what ALL other people are thinking? I stated that many people, like some of the ones who don't post but read these boards. Those same people might not post so you might not know them. Those people who you may not know don't like to see site owners harassed and disrespected on their own sites. I'm one of those people and I'll get involved aka voice my opinion, anytime I want to.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I didn't state that I know what ALL other people are thinking? I stated that many people, like some of the ones who don't post but read these boards. Those same people might not post so you might not know them. Those people who you may not know don't like to see site owners harassed and disrespected on their own sites. I'm one of those people and I'll get involved aka voice my opinion, anytime I want to.
Honestly, if people aren't going to stop lurking and come post, no one really cares what they think, I would imagine. If you're not an active participant, you have no right to complain. Same as with voting; don't bitch about the government if you haven't voted.

Old 08-25-2004, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
We have not indiscriminantly 'invite' people to leave the board. *Very* few people have ever been banned. But it doesn't seem to me that you understand that the entire board, its management, and what is acceptable around here or not is going to change for *you*. It's simply not.
Au contraire. I understand it. I understand it quite well.

Quote:
Of course they could be disabled, but is that the answer? I am sure that you know proper net etiquette and capital letters with red text plus the tone and wording involved is just shouting. *Please* re-read the message and consider it from the perspective of someone that did not find the humor it in. I think you could reasonably understand why one might find it insulting.
I guess we disagree. It's only one more thing.

Quote:
I thought that one was pretty good. I have a long list of things to do tonight that, surprisingly, do not involve The Ledge. So that's all for now.
- Marty
Yeah, me too.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I didn't state that I know what ALL other people are thinking? I stated that many people, like some of the ones who don't post but read these boards.
Seriously, man, you don't seem to understand half of what I say. I said, "all these other many people," and that is quite different from "all." Wouldn't you agree?

Quote:
Those people who you may not know don't like to see site owners harassed and disrespected on their own sites.
Well, I question where you're getting this, but it's moot, because the owner wasn't harassed or disrespected.

Quote:
I'm one of those people and I'll get involved aka voice my opinion, anytime I want to.
Do you wear a cape and fly?
Old 08-25-2004, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Honestly, if people aren't going to stop lurking and come post, no one really cares what they think, I would imagine. If you're not an active participant, you have no right to complain. Same as with voting; don't bitch about the government if you haven't voted.
Damn good point! Wish I'd made it.

Anyhoo, I'm outta this thread. Don't pull me back in.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a long list of things to do tonight that, surprisingly, do not involve The Ledge. So that's all for now.

- Marty[/QUOTE]I know what he’s getting ready to do and not just once. I wish I were young again. What the heck I’ll give it another whirl. “Peace everyone.”
Old 08-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ½ ¡Ñ§ÅñË ®
I know what he’s getting ready to do and not just once. I wish I were young again. What the heck I’ll give it another whirl. “Peace everyone.”
Alright, I did check in again but that is really it for the night. I just wanted to comment that I thought this was VERY funny. Best laugh of the day. For the record though, it's not on the list-- not even once.

- Marty
Old 08-25-2004, 08:35 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Fascinating. Is there something in the FAQ I missed about not being able to voice an opinion or complain until you have X number of posts? Is that number, 100, 300, 3300 or 7900? Johnny, Marty....when does a poster pass and go and have the right to voice their opinion or complain?

You may not care, but as I have explained these forums are not just for the people who participate, they are for anyone who is a fan and cares to read them. There have been many fans who have dropped out and into lurker mode over the years, it's no surprise. There are also hundreds of fans who read these forums on a regular basis and don't choose to participate, it's not mandatory.

If you or Carne or anyone else is not interested in my opinon or the opinions of people who don't have the X number of posts that has not been clarified, you have a choice to not read them or not respond to them. You and Carne and any other poster do not get to decide who has a right to voice an opinion or complain. At least not the last time I looked at the FAQ.

As shocking as this might seem to some, there are many people who do post here and won't get involved posting on this forum in threads like this because of the kind of reaction they're greeted with.