The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Big Love. Play it the way it was released on Tango, or just burn it, already. How about Tango In The night, instead?

World Turning. Oh gosh, the worst ever. I can't even listen to it on the Tusk deluxe live CD. I've hated it live since, well, since forever, because it always drags on for what seems like forever. How about You And I, instead? Part 1, leading in to Part 2?

Don't Stop. Don't stop touring again tomorrow! Been tired of it since The Dance. How about Think About Me, instead?

Tusk. Really. It's just a bunch of noise anymore. Lindsey has none of the pacing or control to sing the lyrics with the menace and mystery of the original. How about Green Manalishi, instead?

Rhiannon. Because they're all the same, all the same, all the same Rhiannon. How about Thrown Down, instead? Or - lets' go way back - how about Sorcerer the way it might have ended up on a 1970's Fleetwood Mac album. I hate Stevie's live solo version.

Those are, for me, the songs that make me groan with angst and boredom when I hear the opening notes.

On the other hand, I never, ever get tired of Dreams. I love Dreams in Stevie's huskier voice. The high notes are for the vengeful little girl that wrote it. The modern takes are a wiser look back, a reflection.

None of these songs get skipped when I play the albums - I love each of them. It's just that, played live, they lack any enthusiasm. They're rote.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
Good thread....

1. DONT STOP
Without a doubt....I just always think of the Clintons and their terribly out of beat clapping and bad dance moves

2. BIG LOVE
Amazing guitar work yes and a good song in general, just the climax sounds coming from a man pushing 70 at the end is a bit cringe
I agree with both, but especially "Big Love" unless they decided to do a non acoustic version like it is on Tango.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gypsy. Not that I will ever retire from listening to the original.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

'Gypsy' is my #1 favorite Fleetwood Mac song. As such, it's rather disappointing that none of the live versions I've ever heard have lived up to the greatness of the song. I mean, there have been some nice live performances of it, but never truly great. Still, I don't want it dropped from the set; as I said, I don't want anything dropped, but instead add more great songs.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 06-06-2016, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

They will NEVER drop Big Love, as the acoustic version that I HATE.

Because it's Lindsey's showcase of "a million fingers a second"(even though half[or more] of what 'you're' hearing is all delay[mechanically echoed notes, for you non musicians]).

He's never been a revered guitarist, in guitar circles. The one thing he has, is his finger picking style. That's why they'll never drop it. It's his solo showoff song.

I'm just glad they put it halfway through the set, because I can successfully make a pee run, in the time from the first note to the last.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
They will NEVER drop Big Love, as the acoustic version that I HATE.

Because it's Lindsey's showcase of "a million fingers a second"(even though half[or more] of what 'you're' hearing is all delay[mechanically echoed notes, for you non musicians]).

He's never been a revered guitarist, in guitar circles. The one thing he has, is his finger picking style. That's why they'll never drop it. It's his solo showoff song
LB then needs to release a new finger picking song and play this live so we don't get tormented with the cringy and embarrassing ooh aahs....there's some motivation for their new album right there
Old 06-07-2016, 06:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I never tire of Go Your Own Way either live or on the radio. I don't know why. Its such a crank song and is the perfect way to end the set. Its such a rocker and a great final song before farewells and encores. I was surprised but happy that even the tours without Lindsey, the Mac kept it in the set. I love to see Stevie in the top hat too.

I also never tire of anything Christine does. I do have preferences for her songs but she can sing me a lullaby and I would be happy. I would love for her to dig into deep tracks and I bet she would love to do it. Sadly she knows the backlash. In 1987 I was disgusted at what I saw. During the Tango tour Stevie left the stage for Over My Head and You Make Loving Fun. I felt it was an obligation for her to stay on stage more (like she does today) with new members on stage. When Chris started to sing Over My Head and Stevie left the stage, there was a mass exodus in the arena. It was so rude and I felt sick at my stomach. How are you a Mac fan if you leave during their first USA radio hit even if you don't like the song. The group can easily see the mass exodus to the bathroom or refreshment stand. I wanted to lock the doors and not let these people back in. There were so many leaving that there were lines on the stairs to get out.
I say this because just imagine if Fleetwood Mac played Why instead of the "hit" Over My Head. Sadly the response would have been worse.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I never tire of Go Your Own Way either live or on the radio. I don't know why. Its such a crank song and is the perfect way to end the set. Its such a rocker and a great final song before farewells and encores. I was surprised but happy that even the tours without Lindsey, the Mac kept it in the set. I love to see Stevie in the top hat too.

I also never tire of anything Christine does. I do have preferences for her songs but she can sing me a lullaby and I would be happy. I would love for her to dig into deep tracks and I bet she would love to do it. Sadly she knows the backlash. In 1987 I was disgusted at what I saw. During the Tango tour Stevie left the stage for Over My Head and You Make Loving Fun. I felt it was an obligation for her to stay on stage more (like she does today) with new members on stage. When Chris started to sing Over My Head and Stevie left the stage, there was a mass exodus in the arena. It was so rude and I felt sick at my stomach. How are you a Mac fan if you leave during their first USA radio hit even if you don't like the song. The group can easily see the mass exodus to the bathroom or refreshment stand. I wanted to lock the doors and not let these people back in. There were so many leaving that there were lines on the stairs to get out.
I say this because just imagine if Fleetwood Mac played Why instead of the "hit" Over My Head. Sadly the response would have been worse.
I get where you are coming from. I reckon Why could be a great opener, or at the very least near the start of the set when the audience have no excuse to get up.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are a number of songs that are not as good live as they used to be. GYOW is my favorite Mac song of all and I really don't care to listen to it live at any point past the Mirage tour. That said it's still not terrible, a lot of what's great about it is the instrumentation and that all still sounds good. For me the one that suffers the most is "Rhiannon", it's a shell of its former self. "Dreams" is noticeable because of that high note, but it always was a mellow song anyway (I don't deny that the groove is not as good, though). But "Rhiannon" should be a power showcase in my mind and, for obvious and understandable reasons, it just isn't. NGBA is a close second -- Lindsey, why?

I like "Big Love" acoustic but I agree that the sex sounds could go.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Ledgie

Great thread. I skip the following when I'm listening to a show:
1. Rhiannon - played out at this stage. Does she feel that she has to do it?
2. Big Love, Landslide and the slow Never going Back Again.
3. I'm So Afraid(!) Not That Funny and, of course, Don't Stop.
So many alternatives could fill these being dropped. Funnily enough, I never tire of Dreams or GYOW: something about the bass and beat of these two that in many ways sum up the heart of Fleetwood Mac for me.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Pretty much 2/3 of their current set. I'd replace it with the "profound" "new" music we have still yet to hear.

Have I mentioned I want new music?