The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Live album Sara or Tusk deluxe Sara?

They both sound amazing, the live album one you can totally tell they cleaned and polished it. The Tusk deluxe version sounds more raw. I already complained about this but I don't like how Christine played during the great dark wing and the night is coming parts on the Tusk deluxe Sara. I like the way Christine played on those parts better on the live album Sara.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
They both sound amazing, the live album one you can totally tell they cleaned and polished it. The Tusk deluxe version sounds more raw. I already complained about this but I don't like how Christine played during the great dark wing and the night is coming parts on the Tusk deluxe Sara. I like the way Christine played on those parts better on the live album Sara.

I like the original live version of the version that is on the live album.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post

She sounds fine! Playing slightly different is what people do live. Now THAT'S the definition of nit picky. Unlike the other threads.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's in much better voice on Fleetwood Mac Live;
but Lindsey's end guitar solo on the new Tusk reissue is utterly stellar.
What amazes me most is to look back 35 years ago and realize how much
stronger her singing is today.

Love hearing those old Tusk tour songs as those were my first shows.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh no. This 'new' one. Totally, in every aspect.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I adore the Live version so much. It's so raw, so unpolished. You can hear how Stevie's voice was rapidly eroding on the Tusk tour. You can hear how tired she is. To me, the whole Live album is a beautiful moment in time, despite the fact the songs were recorded over a wide time range and many were touched up. You still get a special feel for the era. The new Tusk Deluxe Sara just doesn't do anything for me. In general, I just don't care for 20th century renditions of the song- I don't think it was really perfected onstage until the 21st century. The Live Sara is an exception for me for some reason, though.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish they used to Largo 1979 performance for the Tusk deluxe album. There is a video of it on YouTube but the sound quality is not the best. A remastered version of Largo 1979 Sara would have been a better choice.

Here's the video

http://youtu.be/8y_TNCW-j1U
Old 11-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

​I just spotted my neighbour going out. A perfect opportunity to play the deluxe version VERY loudly. I can say without a doubt I prefer this version over the other not-so-live album version. I just love it.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I prefer the untouched, authentic live performances. That's why I'm so excited about the newly released live performances! They may not have the polish of their studio counterparts, but they shine in their authenticity, adding a depth of character and realism to the songs. They are perfect in their imperfection.

Though the Rumours-era Fleetwood Mac has performed a good portion of their recorded catalog, they stayed very close to a certain selection of hits, even in the sequence of their set lists. I guess that is a blessing and a curse when you have many signature hits, and feel the obligation to perform them all the time.
Also, when you are blessed with three singer/songwriters, the opportunity to stretch out becomes even more limited.

They have a lot of album tracks that have never been performed. I can only imagine the missed or overlooked opportunities to re-imagine those songs on a live stage. With the addition of their support players/singers, these long dormant songs, with the benefit of hindsight, could be revisited and appreciated.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-13-2015 at 02:56 AM..
Old 11-13-2015, 03:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
. The new Tusk Deluxe Sara just doesn't do anything for me.
Most of the songs on the LIVE album were recorded in 1979, with the exception of a few from 1977.

The main distinction between the performance of Sara on the LIVE album and the "new" live version on Tusk deluxe box set is that the LIVE Sara was edited and touched up in post production. The Tusk deluxe version is untouched, and exactly how the audience heard it. To me it just sounds and feels more authentic.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-13-2015 at 11:20 PM..
Old 11-13-2015, 04:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post

What amazes me most is to look back 35 years ago and realize how much
stronger her singing is today.
Huh???

Her voice in 1980 maybe more ragged and fragile
but it's much preferred over anything she's done
after Rock A Little. At least by me.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Senior Ledgie

The new deluxe one definitely! I have never been a fan of the version of Sara from the live album. In fact - I was pretty disappointed the first time I ever heard it.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I adore the Live version so much. It's so raw, so unpolished. You can hear how Stevie's voice was rapidly eroding on the Tusk tour. You can hear how tired she is. To me, the whole Live album is a beautiful moment in time, despite the fact the songs were recorded over a wide time range and many were touched up. You still get a special feel for the era. The new Tusk Deluxe Sara just doesn't do anything for me. In general, I just don't care for 20th century renditions of the song- I don't think it was really perfected onstage until the 21st century. The Live Sara is an exception for me for some reason, though.
except it wasn't really live. she redid the vocal over the live instrumental track. Dunno why really because her voice on the original live recording was much stronger than her worn out voice in the overdubbed version.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I prefer the untouched, authentic live performances. That's why I'm so excited about the newly released live performances! They may not have the polish of their studio counterparts, but they shine in their authenticity, adding a depth of character and realism to the songs. They are perfect in their imperfection.
Hear, hear!